• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kevin's Bag: UNDER CONSTRUCTION (part 2)

kpc2004

Double Eagle Member
WARNING: THIS POST IS ENTIRELY TOO LONG

im still working on getting my bag to where i want it to be. after my last post, which had 2 putters and 1 mid, ive started trying out some putters to make the shorter shots that i was previously throwing a driver for, and i added switched out my mid for a different one which i LOVE and use all the time for 2nd shots/up shots. im getting some of my pre-injury distance so im hoping to get a nice bag set up and keep playing to get better than i was before i hurt myself. I still need to get my pre-injury putting back though, that part is frustrating. well enough about the knee, here goes nothin...disc descriptions are all left to right, top to bottom (but im sure you guys could figure it out anyways) also, i am RHBH

bag is still the same, Innova Competition with Phenix Quads...
DSC07432.jpg

Right section in pic, distance section...
DSC07429.jpg

170g champ katana- i use this for hyzer flips or big anny's. this might lose its spot in my bag to the next disc...
173g memorial nuke-beat in-this thing BOMBS for me and will hyzer flip and go about 420-440 and finish fairly straight, or if i kinda half-hyzer flip it, it flips up and then goes right like a perfectly thrown anny but much shorter than a full hyzer flip, finishing at about 350-375. i had put this one away after i beat it in and just recently added it to the bag again and its becoming one of my favorites, yet again.
174g Z nuke- this thing is a monster, i throw it interchangably with the boss for distance with a long left finish. when i throw it just right i get a noticable amount of greater distance than the boss but if i let it get too much air under it they go about the same.
174g echo star boss-usually the go-to distance driver, thrown slightly hyzer it goes about 380-400 on a good day, but lately i have been putting it on some nice anny lines to get about 320ish fairly accurately. when i try a huge anny with this i lose control and it aint pretty. im more confident with this disc over the Z nuke for a regular drive (flat/slight hyzer).
172?g pearly orc- i use this for fast, straight shots that i want to go straight for about 300 then start fading. I dont use this one too often anymore.
172g echo star xcal- this has become my go-to driver lately. I use it for wooded holes anywhere from 250-375 with an S curve and i have been VERY accurate with it lately
172g FR star xcal- not as domey as the echo star and it tends to get more distance. this one takes the same S line but will have a smaller variance from the center line of travel. this has also been very accurate lately.

Middle section in pic, "fairway"/control shot section...
DSC07430.jpg

172?g pearly orc- most likely not going to make the cut for "Kevin's bag part 3"...i use it for short tunnel shots with left finish, but there are so many other discs in my bag that can handle this shot so for now its just filling in a spot until the mail brings me more "presents" as i like to call them
167g FR CE eagle-L- this disc is pretty accurate for me in the wooded holes that are about short but just too long for me to feel confident with a mid or a putter
172g CE firebird-X- this disc is very straight with a predictable left finish. it doesnt get much use anymore though.
171g esp surge- i use this for short drives that i dont want to go very fast, or for short flicks. its my first ace disc so i keep her in the bag.
174g 11x kc pro teebird (green)- super predictable flight path which comes in handy on wooded drives or drives where there is no clear shot to the basket. has more fade at the end than the orange one. i also use this driver for wide open shots about 250-300 because of how predictable it is.
173?g 11x kc pro teebird (orange)- also very predictable, has the same flight as the other one just with less fade at the end
175g 5x champ valk- this hardly gets any use anymore, i use it for rollers but the courses i play dont really call for any rollers. it was my first disc ever and i keep it around for sentimental reasons i guess

Left section in pic, P&A/Mid/Specialty section...
DSC07431.jpg

175g chains aviar-beat to sh!t- this is my go-to putter and is probably the most beat up putter ive ever seen, yet somehow it works well for me. currently trying to find another chains aviar in better shape to try one out in a different stage of wear.
170g pearly champ leopard- i use this for tunnel shots or short annys. will consistantly fade right slightly when thrown flat which comes in handy.
173g Z stalker-i also use this for tunnel shots. its becoming beat in and goes deadly straight for me when i throw it completely flat
180g 12x kc pro roc- first mid i have ever liked. i use this for upshots mostly, about 200 and in. i am new to using mids so i dont try to get them out very far yet. i was amazed at how accurate this thing is thrown on an anny line.
175g x-link firm VP- this is my beefy wind putter, or an anny putter than will almost always break its line and finish flat
175g #2 upshot- this was my old go-to putter and is now my main back up. if for some reason im not feeling like i am throwing the aviar well, i will finish the round with the upshot and usually do better (psychological thing i guess). great putter, i just like the aviar even better for the most part.
175g r-pro dart- his would be my "driving" putter, however, i dont drive with putters lol. i usually only throw this on a hyzer line or sometimes flat. it usually only comes out when im warming up now-a-days.

i have a ton of discs but most are not candidates for my bag and only three are reserved as back-ups/alternates that are currently not in the bag...
DSC07433.jpg

3xstamped 174g star boss- back up in case i ever lose my echo star boss, so i can have one until i get my next echo lol
3xstamped 172g FR star xcal- oddly enough i have been a closet fan of multistamps for a while and lately i have become a fan of the xcal so i couldnt pass this one up, i mean come on its a FR xcal with the proto stamp AND 2 dx beast stamps lol...its the beefiest xcal i have so its probably going into the bag for a heavy wind driver
172g star xcal-about to be sent out for a dye so it may take a spot in the bag when it is finished

i have some discs coming in the mail soon that will either be added to my bag or get a "try out" period. these are the discs that are on their way in the mail...
170g 11x firebird-broD mentioned in my previous bag post i should try to reduce molds and get another flat FB so even though i still have a ton of molds, im giving this one a try out for you brother!
172g CE eagle-X-i love eagles, so why not get them in CE right? right. feldberg carries 6 CE e-X's, everyone on here is ranting and raving about how good the e-X is, so i need me a CE e-X dammit! if i like it i have a feeling i will be getting a few more. not sure if thats a good thing lol
172g 11x kc pro teebird- hands down my favorite disc, and i can never get enough of these bad boys.
170g FR champ sidewinder- i used to throw one well, so i got one to give it a try again. i feel like another understable driver wouldnt hurt.

there are a few discs i am wanting to aquire and try out, those are:
11x kc pro roc
pro line or CE spider
champ cobra

notes:
i know i need to work on mold minimilization and i need to work more mids in there, but im taking it 1 step at a time. i am probably gonna look to get 1 or 2 of my wanted mids in the next month and then go from there.

i know i have a lot of overlap, but each disc i have selected has its specific shots i know it will cover so when i walk up to a shot i can instantly tell what disc i should use. what i am looking for from you guys is if you see a huge hole in my line up, something im completely missing, please let me know. also, if you think something in my list of alternates, what is coming in the mail, or my list of wants shoud/shouldn't go in my bag, please let me know and reasons why.

so....is my bag showing any improvement?

[/longest post i have ever made]

Man thats a whole lot of discs! Whatever works for you. I am more of a minimalist where I make every disc in my bag be the most that it can be. It is amazing what one can do with so few discs. A couple of drivers, a couple of mids and a putter and you are set. I just don't understand why you need so many distance and fairway drivers. I would rather focus on learning one or two distance drivers and figuring out how to make them go striaght, hyzer and anhyzer. Same with the mids. Really learn a few discs well. The day I took out a bunch of discs from my bag the better I got.

Just a couple of quick other notes, I would say definately keep your Memorial Nuke as you seem to be able to use that for a few different types of throws. The Eagle L and your Teebirds should be kept as well, again for their versitality. Do more with less. The Valk could probably go. I like your Aviar, but might want to get something a little newer and more predictable. Like all of us here, everyone goes crazy for drivers as they think that will help their game out the most. So they buy all kinds of drivers and just take a little bit from each one instead of putting that time into a few select ones. Why has your love of plastic not carried over to your putters? You really only have one that you use. THis is an example of your technique doing the work for you, not your discs. Again this is just my thoughts on your bag. Like I said before, less is more. It has been working for me.

i see what you are sayin. i did the "less is more" for a while, but carrying all these different discs has opened up new options for different shots. plus, im not gonna carry only 10 in a bag that can hold 22 lol. i understand the minimalist thing and have been VERY SLOWLY eliminating a mold here or there, slowly is a speed im comfortable with haha, but im pretty sure im always gonna be carrying mostly drivers at least for a while. i am more confident on my shots with all these drivers that i know their limits and what they are good for, and i would rather be confident that i have the right disc for the shot in my bag then have to think if i can make a disc do something different to make the shot, know what i mean? i am buying a lot newer chains aviar from someone who read my bag post about how i was looking for a new one, so thats going in the bag as soon as i get it (thanks cory!).

im pretty sure the katana, red pearly orc, valkyrie, and maaaaybe the Z nuke will be leaving my bag soon so that opens up for more minimilization by adding another eagle (X) and the other flat top firebird i have coming in. i still need to get more mids, im really wanting to try the spider bc i was told it is a small diameter mid which i am interested in bc i am only 5'6'' and have little hands (no burger king jokes, they arent that small).

You mentioned another mid or two. I recently added a Meteor to my bag about 6 months ago and it has found a nice spot in there. More of a turnover mid, or understable, it is great for those shots you need to go from striaght to right finish, RHBH. You can also put a lot on it and hyzer flip it. Just a really versitale midrange disc that does stuff my Buzzz can't. It is worth a shot.