• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Kickstarter For Essential Discs

4u2nv

Not sure who else seen this, but Essential Discs the maker of the Honey. I was looking to get more Honeys this week and came across this Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ediscs/full-line-of-essential-discs-for-disc-golf?ref=9l4a8w

Their website says they are launching on the 31st.

It says they are releasing 7 discs. If they are anything nearly as good as the Honey I know I'll be supporting it for sure. Is anyone else as excited as I am about this?

Wow. Confusing. Doesn't Clash Discs have a WILD Honey?

Probably.
The Honey is from 2014 or so.
Apparently disc golf is running out of names.
Discmania has the Iron Samurai Gateway has the Samurai...

Wow. Confusing. Doesn't Clash Discs have a WILD Honey?

Yeah, I heard that they were going to use the Name Honey it was announced on Reddit and Instagram then got called out for it by people who actually bag the Honey last year. When they submitted for PDGA approval Essential had already notified that they did not sell the name since they were still producing their Honey disc which is a mid/putter hybrid.

So to get around and save face after announcing it as Honey Clash added Wild to it making it Wild Honey.

I'm surprised Essential didn't take them to court or something since HONEY is in big letters and wild small Basically marketing it as the Honey. Then again, I don't know how these things work figured it would be intellectual property or something.

Not sure who else seen this, but Essential Discs the maker of the Honey. I was looking to get more Honeys this week and came across this Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ediscs/full-line-of-essential-discs-for-disc-golf?ref=9l4a8w

It says they are releasing 7 discs. If they are anything nearly as good as the Honey I know I'll be supporting it for sure. Is anyone else as excited as I am about this?

Thats pretty cool. With their recent signing of Reid Frescura, I was already planning on getting some fresh Honey from him. VERY interested in what else they come up with:thmbup:

Cool. I hadn't heard from Larry in a few years. Got a few Honeys stashed away from 2015.
As a MICH-only disc thrower, I will certainly try to support.

Cool. I hadn't heard from Larry in a few years. Got a few Honeys stashed away from 2015.
As a MICH-only disc thrower, I will certainly try to support.

I was about to say I'm aspiring to be Mich-only but...

I just lost a Rhyno so now i've moved to using Ringers. Zone. Buzzz. Undertaker... Tesla is in there... I have a couple others in my bag but they don't get much use.

I try to keep some cash in my pocket for when Reid comes around. Guess it was just natural progression.

How are they sponsoring players if they are begging people to kickstart their business? Such a dumb business model.

How are they sponsoring players if they are begging people to kickstart their business? Such a dumb business model.

Without knowing the contract....it could be what is known sometimes as a Futures contract; where they agree to more money, but paid out later. Or they could be getting a percentage of the company?

I've never thrown one, but I remember people going nuts over that disc a while back.

Ive seen companies in other areas that seem substantial enough to fund their business traditionally that opted for crowd funding.

I can understand why that has a stigma (what's wrong with your business if you want me to pay for it??), but having backed a lot of crowd funded stuff, I also see some merit in it for disc golf.

Bad kickstarters are typically the ones that are asking you to foot the bill for a lot of unknowable work, like research and design.

Good kickstarters have a product ready to go, and are trying to fund the physical production of the product.

It would be a pretty bad idea to fund a new mold with promised outcomes (we're going to make a 9|7|0|5!, as soon as we figure out how!) for instance.

But it makes a ton of sense to run a disc. That's a pretty good match for disc golf, or any product run on demand.

If you want to sell a bunch of discs in a cool plastic that a bunch of people want, without the risk of a more-expensive-than-usual overrun sitting on your shelf forever - kickstarter, right?

I've actually been surprised we havent seen more of it in this industry.

If you want to sell a bunch of discs in a cool plastic that a bunch of people want, without the risk of a more-expensive-than-usual overrun sitting on your shelf forever - kickstarter, right?

I've actually been surprised we havent seen more of it in this industry.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!

From what I know being a follower of the Honey for a long time and having multiple prototype plastic runs, they are not so much kickstarting their business while sponsoring players.

Rather they are sponsoring players while using Kickstarter to get their discs in the player's hands quicker with some sweet plastics.
I actually got to meet with one of their sponsored players Jake Turner and he is super excited about the putter they are releasing. Some of the Michigan State University team were able to test-drive some of the plastics and discs last year and had nothing but good things to say about it.

The products are ready to go. From what they posted on their Facebook page. If it funds, they will be releasing 2 per month until all are released and then releasing them in another plastic in 2s until November when they will be releasing more discs. But if it doesn't fund, they will only be doing one per month to retailers.

They posted info on Reddit that they are using a shop that does medical supplies and aerospace but no other disc companies. I'm sure if the place is as big as they claim, then they are small fries and will be able to get access to machine time faster for their products if the Kickstarter funds.

I know I'll be supporting them in any case. They have done a ton for the local community and state by promoting, designing, and putting in courses, giving discs away to kids and women, and hosting clinics for youth and college students. With as much as they give away in time and products, to me, it shows a level of dedication from their small family-run company that isn't shown by any of the larger companies.

I played a few tourney rounds with Larry back in the day. Good guy based on my limited interactions.

7 discs (even if some of the mold pieces are shared) would require a lot of capital for tooling. Raising those funds through kickstarter might be preferable to trying to convince a bank that there's a ton of money to be made in frisbees.

Seems like an odd fit to use a company that does medical and aerospace to mold golf discs though. We're talking about opposite ends of the precision spectrum here. Disc golfers might want consistent discs, but I'm not convinced we'd like the price.

Since math and business seem to upset you, maybe you could try making the font bigger next time.

If you make it big enough I bet someone will find your sentiments useful. You're going to have to go really big though.

It was in reference to companies using crowdsource funding to sell disc runs. That would suck.

Medical & aerospace equipment, I was hoping it was MVP plastic.

Last edited:

wtf do you mean "they?" This account has to be Larry - the owner of Essential Discs. Replace "they" with "us" or "me."

:p

Don't get me wrong. The Honey is a great disc...

I played a few tourney rounds with Larry back in the day. Good guy based on my limited interactions.

7 discs (even if some of the mold pieces are shared) would require a lot of capital for tooling. Raising those funds through kickstarter might be preferable to trying to convince a bank that there's a ton of money to be made in frisbees.

Seems like an odd fit to use a company that does medical and aerospace to mold golf discs though. We're talking about opposite ends of the precision spectrum here. Disc golfers might want consistent discs, but I'm not convinced we'd like the price.

Could it be that the medical/aerospace company isn't doing so well, or not using all of their facility (maybe due to lack of supplies needed) and are trying to find other things to use their idle equipment for?

Latest posts