• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kids starter pack suggestions?

Docxen

Par Member
My 8 and 7 year old niece and nephew are enjoying watching/ playing with me when i do disc golf. They want their own sets for birthdays/christmas any suggestions. Innova has a set with a bag personally i like the look of Dynamic Disks starter set https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic-Discs-Prime-Starter-Set-with-Cadet-Bag-p/6801.htm
it also comes with a bag which of course is a big must have for them :) so any suggestions? The 8 year old niece was throwing putters in the back field with me and i'm worried she will surpass my own skills soon. She's super sporty. Thanks for the help.

My 8 and 7 year old niece and nephew are enjoying watching/ playing with me when i do disc golf. They want their own sets for birthdays/christmas any suggestions. Innova has a set with a bag personally i like the look of Dynamic Disks starter set https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic-Discs-Prime-Starter-Set-with-Cadet-Bag-p/6801.htm
it also comes with a bag which of course is a big must have for them :) so any suggestions? The 8 year old niece was throwing putters in the back field with me and i'm worried she will surpass my own skills soon. She's super sporty. Thanks for the help.

While the sets with the bag are appealing, the drawback is that you don't get to select the discs' weights. For a 7 and 8 year old, you really want to start them with lighter weights (150-160 or less ideally). Probably better to find a putter and mid-range in a lighter weight (brand not important) and not worry about a bag until they amass more than a couple discs.

While the sets with the bag are appealing, the drawback is that you don't get to select the discs' weights. For a 7 and 8 year old, you really want to start them with lighter weights (150-160 or less ideally). Probably better to find a putter and mid-range in a lighter weight (brand not important) and not worry about a bag until they amass more than a couple discs.
hmm ok i have been looking at the lightning bags and they are super cheap any suggestions about a putter and mid? maybe https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic-Discs-Easy-To-Throw-Disc-Golf-Starter-Set-p/6837.htm plus i get reward points from them (their uncle is cheap)

hmm ok i have been looking at the lightning bags and they are super cheap any suggestions about a putter and mid? maybe https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic-Discs-Easy-To-Throw-Disc-Golf-Starter-Set-p/6837.htm plus i get reward points from them (their uncle is cheap)

Yes, if you want to get a set rather than individual discs, you can't do much better than that starter set. The Breakout, Proof, and Gavel are light-weight and understable for an easier learning curve for that age.

And if you want a bag (and more reward points), you can add the Cadet to your cart with the Easy-to-Throw set for the exact same price as you were looking at for the first set that included the bag.

Yes, if you want to get a set rather than individual discs, you can't do much better than that starter set. The Breakout, Proof, and Gavel are light-weight and understable for an easier learning curve for that age.

And if you want a bag (and more reward points), you can add the Cadet to your cart with the Easy-to-Throw set for the exact same price as you were looking at for the first set that included the bag.

i was noticing that and they can pick their colors thanks so much man you guys are so awesome to us newbs

Nothing wrong with that Dynamic set, but Lightning discs are perfect for this. They're pretty much the cheapest golf discs available, they come in low weights, they fly just fine, and the marbled-plastic ones look cool. Get the kiddos each an Upshot and a couple of understable mids/drivers (all the Lightning drivers are fairways with the exception of the MX-1, which everyone should avoid). If you get them on eBay you can choose specific discs, so you know exactly what weight and color you're getting.

One of my favorite discs for new players is the 150g Inova Aero. Rumor has them OOP but they can still be found. As for the Lightning starter bag, at $5 it's well worth it. I keep one in my work truck.

I concur with, go with light discs, and buy them individually. Frankly, for smaller kids starting out, the disc selection won't make a great deal of difference, as long as you don't get something extremely overstable or wide-rimmed.

Innova makes some extremely light kids' discs (under 150g; I've seen them as low as 95g, though I'd suggest around 130g), and blizzard discs in both 137g and 157g ranges. Plus, the kids might like the artwork on the DX discs.

But other manufacturers make light discs, too, and cool plastics. Just go with neutral to understable, and not too fast. Not too many, either.

With the thought that, for a putter, get something with a shallower rim (for small hands).

Yup the kids like dx for the picture.. Too bad the cool robot and gangster are on two of the harder molds to throw.

I recommend a 150 wedge often... shallowish putter but works as a mid too... get a 150 leopard and you are set... nothing wrong with lightning discs either....

Nothing wrong with that Dynamic set, but Lightning discs are perfect for this. They're pretty much the cheapest golf discs available, they come in low weights, they fly just fine, and the marbled-plastic ones look cool. Get the kiddos each an Upshot and a couple of understable mids/drivers (all the Lightning drivers are fairways with the exception of the MX-1, which everyone should avoid). If you get them on eBay you can choose specific discs, so you know exactly what weight and color you're getting.
lol funny thing is the putter she liked and was throwing was my lightning putter (wanted something cheap that floated) and she fell in love. Considered giving it to her but figured she might like a new one so i went on ebay to get one the same color. That and a Lat opto river (for no other reason than the stamp) however i have one and enjoy it.

Though light weight disc are far more prevalent than ever, I don't agree that lighter weights are needed for kids or women. 20 grams is .70 of an ounce. Give them full weight discs....once they catch the bug, another transition will not be needed.

My 7 yr old used a 134 Star lite Roadrunner or 137 sidewinder for forehand drives. 100g Roc for upshots and 150 aviarfor putts. Forehand seems to be a lot easier for him and can s shape the shot. Most drivers 150 and up seem to be overstable for him

My daughter is 9 started with the Ruby Putter for a while. Then we went onto the River Opto Air 151-153g, Diamond Opto Air 148-151, Nuke ss Zlite 145g and the Avenger SS Elite-X 145-150g.

The diamond is a great driver for kids I have a stack of them that my kids play with and those things really bomb great for them

The diamond is a great driver for kids I have a stack of them that my kids play with and those things really bomb great for them

Agree! Just recently purchased the new Streamline Drift for her. Those things fly extremely well and bomb too.

infinitediscs.com allows you do do an "advanced search" where you can order by weight with the lightest first. When i was buying discs for my 6 year old i started with the lightest stuff available and picked a couple.

Latest posts