• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Knowledge bomb from the 970 rated advice thread

Idk, they probably can. The flight of a wraith that maxes out at 300' won't be all that much different than my Roc that goes 300'..

Really? I like to throw Rocs because they fly straight and land flat. If someone is only throwing a wraith 300, they definitely aren't getting it up to speed, which makes me think they'd finish with a big skip. Unless it's a flippy wraith, in which case they'd be throwing a big S curve rather than a dead straight line.

On some short holes around 200-250 feet I will pull out a distance driver in the 9-10 speed just because for me it's easy to control a high speed disc with a less effort throw and have the disc act overstable.

Yeah we're not turning this into another one of your train wrecks. We all know that you throw drivers for everything and that sidewinders form videos are wrong and your technique is right even though you've been playing for 3 months and he's helped hundreds of people improve their games for the past 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I like to throw Rocs because they fly straight and land flat. If someone is only throwing a wraith 300, they definitely aren't getting it up to speed, which makes me think they'd finish with a big skip. Unless it's a flippy wraith, in which case they'd be throwing a big S curve rather than a dead straight line.

Skip is irrelevant, I throw all of my shots to include a skip at the end, it is a planned and accountable part of the disc flight. Many times skip is actually desirable; I would rather throw a disc with dependable skip than no skip.

In order for a roc to land flat I need to be throwing a beat in Roc, otherwise it will have some fade to it. Roc, Teebird, and Wraith have pretty much the same fade profile to me. That is why a fresh Roc is great, it has dependable stability. A low power thrower can take a stable disc and throw it many degrees of anhyzer safe in the knowledge it will flex back. I would say that this is a very good control shot. Look at how Nikko throws all of his drives now. The flex shot is a proven safe control tactic.

Again I personally share your preference. I would rather throw a disc flat at its intended speed. But this puts the failure point at the point of release. Whichever spot you release that disc at it is going straight, even if that means straight into the trees. The flex shot makes all that much less precise. It is basically an easy mode shot to take the precision on release point out of the equation and increase the margin for error.

Skip is irrelevant, I throw all of my shots to include a skip at the end, it is a planned and accountable part of the disc flight. Many times skip is actually desirable; I would rather throw a disc with dependable skip than no skip.

You must not have a lot of hard pan or slope in your area with always playing for a skip. With hard pan or slope the skip could be the difference between 25 to 75 foot putt.

I do agree at times a skip is very desirable, and other times it is not at all. Often it is an overlooked asset in a golfer game.

You must not have a lot of hard pan or slope in your area with always playing for a skip. With hard pan or slope the skip could be the difference between 25 to 75 foot putt.

I do agree at times a skip is very desirable, and other times it is not at all. Often it is an overlooked asset in a golfer game.

I overstated saying skip was irrelevant. Correctly playing the skip is very relevant. I just don't really care how *much* skip a disc has, just that I know how *much* skip I should expect.

I came here to post that accurate at 300' is probably 400+ power.

I'm not super long or accurate. Give me a couple of my 9 and 10 speed discs and in 5 throws, I'll probably hit 300'+ a time or two, maybe more. If I get one good, I might hit about 320 or 330'. I play a pair of back to back 230' holes, one up a massive hill, one with a super low ceiling, probably like 6 feet in places. I've thrown both hundreds of times. The best I've ever thrown the uphill hole is 25 feet short. And I've thrown past the basket on the low ceiling hole exactly once.

This can be me as well.

My course has a couple 220 - 250 ft holes. Sometimes I get a good drive I will play too long. I know I need to disc down but I feel I'm more accurate at that distance with my undertaker than my buzzz.

My release point has recently improved a bit. I don't currently bag an understable mid but I'm thinking that might be a good option.

I'm 47 and blew up my RHBH form this spring. I didn't add crazy distance, but I got way more consistent at 250'. Together with my good putting game it allowed me to dip my toes back into sanctioned play for the first time in 14 years and fit right in with the good players in Am Masters. Thanks a million, Sidewinder22!

I standstill hyzerflip beat in DX Wraiths to about 300. I can't throw a Roc that far, but they really do fly about the same for me. Wraiths turn a bit for me at that power and Rocs fly perfectly straight, but I'm talking like 5 feet. Both finish with about the same fade and not a ton of skip, since I really don't put a lot of spin on the disk.

I can push a DX Beast a little past the Wraith, but that disk does take some more room to get my full flight.

I standstill hyzerflip beat in DX Wraiths to about 300. I can't throw a Roc that far, but they really do fly about the same for me. Wraiths turn a bit for me at that power and Rocs fly perfectly straight, but I'm talking like 5 feet. Both finish with about the same fade and not a ton of skip, since I really don't put a lot of spin on the disk.

I can push a DX Beast a little past the Wraith, but that disk does take some more room to get my full flight.

I've thrown a DX wraith and I agree that you can definitely get it to finish flat. The challenge I have is that fast, under stable discs feel way more squirrelly to me than a mid. Little wind, little oat, and that thing is going WAY off line lol.

I can't get my Rocs out to 300 except in an open field, but I'm working on it!

A low power thrower can take a stable disc and throw it many degrees of anhyzer safe in the knowledge it will flex back. I would say that this is a very good control shot. Look at how Nikko throws all of his drives now. The flex shot is a proven safe control tactic.

Again I personally share your preference. I would rather throw a disc flat at its intended speed. But this puts the failure point at the point of release. Whichever spot you release that disc at it is going straight, even if that means straight into the trees. The flex shot makes all that much less precise. It is basically an easy mode shot to take the precision on release point out of the equation and increase the margin for error.

Good post, and I totally agreed about flex shots. Thought I was in the minority here...seems like I read a lot of posts about hyzers being the most "rangable" and accurate. I've never found that to be the case. If I have the room to work with, throwing a fresh roc with a bit of anny on a flex line is the most accurate, rangeable shot in my bag. It is like easy mode lol

I like to throw the most stable disc I can for the shot and release it flat and watch it fly straight and then fade at the end. Easily the most controllable shot in disc golf.

On some short holes around 200-250 feet I will pull out a distance driver in the 9-10 speed just because for me it's easy to control a high speed disc with a less effort throw and have the disc act overstable.

Nothing really wrong with this IMO especially if it makes sense in the particular situation (wind, shot shape for the hole, etc.) It is like powering down on a Firebird instead of throwing a really OS mid or putter. I remember Philo saying something about throwing a Firebird at times even down to around 250 feet. McBeth has done something similar, throwing an easy flex shot with a Destroyer on a relatively short hole.

If you know your discs and can be consistent with ranging the shot then go with that.

Nothing really wrong with this IMO especially if it makes sense in the particular situation (wind, shot shape for the hole, etc.) It is like powering down on a Firebird instead of throwing a really OS mid or putter. I remember Philo saying something about throwing a Firebird at times even down to around 250 feet. McBeth has done something similar, throwing an easy flex shot with a Destroyer on a relatively short hole.

If you know your discs and can be consistent with ranging the shot then go with that.

I use my Thunderbird disc on a hole that's like 210 feet where trees are directly in line with it. I can just move over to the left and lightly throw the thunderbird and it fades the whole way in nicely around those trees.

I figure it makes more sense to make your short game get longer than vice versa.

I'm new and have only played my local 9 hole course. I've also got a basket in my yard and I've been working outwards from it. Once warmed up I'm pretty reliable at 25 foot putts (better than half get metal) (hey, I've got other throws to work on, too). I've been working on lay ups for the last month or so and can generally land within a dozen feet from 120 feet out. I'm going to keep working on expanding my circle (as well as making it more solid) and expanding my lay up range.

Hopefully next spring my fundamentals will be solid enough that my play will be better than my current "identify mistakes and hope to get par on one or two holes".

Well when you have flawless form wouldn't you do the same? I mean, you don't see the pros discing down and manipulating angles very often do you? Oh wait...

There's this one hole where I have to throw 200 feet through a tunnel which then opens up over a pond. At the edge of the pond is this ravine you have to throw over and if you can carry the ravine it is most likely you can get the next 400 feet uphill on glide alone. The basket is just to the right from there past the corn field you cross over. The fade gets you over the corn field portion. I usually just throw an easy half power backhand with my Nuke OS. If I power up too much on that easy hole I shoot way past the cornfield, pass over the baseball field, and crash out in the Wal-Mart parking lot in the next county over. Crazy having flawless form!

This is pretty regional. I play in wooded Midwest courses. There is often no room for swinging a disc to get a skip. A well rounded game is always more desirable, fitting a shot to fit the scenario.

I like to throw the most stable disc I can for the shot and release it flat and watch it fly straight and then fade at the end. Easily the most controllable shot in disc golf.

I think it is universally accepted that the most dependable shot is a hyzer. Flipping a disc to flat, then using the fade is an important and potentially effective shot, but a pure hyzer is more predictable.

I use my Thunderbird disc on a hole that's like 210 feet where trees are directly in line with it. I can just move over to the left and lightly throw the thunderbird and it fades the whole way in nicely around those trees.

Again, playing around here, throwing around the trees is often a far lower percentage shot. Something like a Z Challenger straight at the chains....money.

This is pretty regional. I play in wooded Midwest courses. There is often no room for swinging a disc to get a skip. A well rounded game is always more desirable, fitting a shot to fit the scenario.

I'm just saying that the amount of skip a disc has is not a factor that would make me avoid it. If the disc has skip I will factor it into the throw pretty easily. If it doesn't have skip I factor that into it as well.

There's this one hole where I have to throw 200 feet through a tunnel which then opens up over a pond. At the edge of the pond is this ravine you have to throw over and if you can carry the ravine it is most likely you can get the next 400 feet uphill on glide alone. The basket is just to the right from there past the corn field you cross over. The fade gets you over the corn field portion. I usually just throw an easy half power backhand with my Nuke OS. If I power up too much on that easy hole I shoot way past the cornfield, pass over the baseball field, and crash out in the Wal-Mart parking lot in the next county over. Crazy having flawless form!

This is some Casey ****.

Is the corn in the ravine? Are you throwing your NukeOS 400' over a revine and corn...uphill? How does glide magically make uphill shots easy? What does the tunnel have to do with the end of the whole where (presumably) the corn is?

If you have the strength to throw over a corn field and baseball field you have a cannon.

How would a putter or midrange go too far but not a distance driver [NukeOS]? How do you magically range the NukeOS but find it impossible to throw a Buzz/Roc/putter the correct distance?

:wall:

Latest posts