• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Large Hands & Small Rims

ColoradoClark

I've been playing for just about two years. As a point of reference, I can generally drive in the 280-320 range. I've been throwing a lot of higher speed drivers that have large rims (Latitude Flow and Havoc, Innova Daedalus) because they are a heck of a lot easier for me to grip and throw than their lower-speed counterparts - mostly because I have large hands.

My fingers aren't particularly long, but I have huge palms and thick fingers: gripping a typical speed 9 rim with a power grip feels awkward in my hand, and I don't have a lot of control when I throw them.

I'm looking to disc down to a disc speed that is more inline with my arm speed, hopefully to learn more about how to throw efficiently, and to improve my accuracy in the 300' range

Any specific suggestions? I do OK with fan grips on these types of discs, but it seems like I could get better distance out of them if I could find something closer to a power grip that would feel comfortable.

Should I continue to fan grip these discs, or suck and up and learn how to use a power grip on them? Anybody with big hands have the same issues? Is there another grip that works well for people with big hands?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2 Finger grip, then modify it to a power grip or fan grip.

There's definitely more grip styles out there than simply a power and fan. Do searches on all the variations of a fork grip. I find it to be a great grip for smaller rimmed discs (for me). I have my pinky pressing on the inside of the rim, my index finger's knuckle resting on the bottom of the rim, and the middle and ring finger somewhat extended.

Well,
1. You can use a fan grip. Nuf said.
2. You can use taller-rimmed, slower discs. Get down, get funky!
3. You can adapt, and squeeze that disc like Poppa Chubby does his guitar neck on "Sweet Goddess of Love and Beer".