• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Maul

Cant really throw the XXX like a control driver- cant even really throw the Trident like one and get it to do anything but go left. I pretty much want a TeeBird in Trilogy plastic. I wish the Thief's numbers were accurate- its rim feels great.

Cant really throw the XXX like a control driver- cant even really throw the Trident like one and get it to do anything but go left. I pretty much want a TeeBird in Trilogy plastic. I wish the Thief's numbers were accurate- its rim feels great.

Saint Pro is the closest you'll get at this point I think. Or maybe hold out for the Convict?

Saint Pro is the closest you'll get at this point I think. Or maybe hold out for the Convict?

In no wind, the Saint Pro is very much a Teebird, in the wind though, it's too domey and not as good as a Teebird.

It looks to me like the Convict will be the better choice. DD usually has more accurate numbers than Lat 64 for their stability, and it's rated with a glide of 4.

I use my XXX in a lot of shots that my friend uses his Teebird on. It will go dead straight before it's monster fade, which I find I can control by release angle and height. Though honestly, I wouldn't consider the Teebird overstable, just stable.

Also, if you are talking control driver and not just speed 7 ish fairway, the Escape is pretty good, like a faster DX Teebird.

But back to the Maul, it looks like some of the earlier run Rivers that tended to be less stable than the newer ones. I loved my earlier Rivers on a good hyzerflip. My new Moonshine is much more stable than any River I've thrown before. I was going to by a Moonshine Underworld, but I might look at this instead.

Until my new River, I actually found it to be a little less stable. I think it likely varies by molds, though I haven't bought anything new in Moonshine in quite awhile until the River. Lat could have changed their blend recently and that might account for the difference.

I'll be interested in this. I usually like US control drivers (River was a workhorse at BG Ams for me) and I got the decodye Maul in the players pack.

Until my new River, I actually found it to be a little less stable. I think it likely varies by molds, though I haven't bought anything new in Moonshine in quite awhile until the River. Lat could have changed their blend recently and that might account for the difference.

How long ago did you get that moonshine river? I would like one that is a bit more stable, and maybe a moonshine saint pro if it is the plastic.

Quick and dirty review time.
I picked up a 165g Opto Maul on Saturday and have been throwing it a bit against my Rivers. For reference I get my rivers out to about 300 give or take depending on the day. Rivers have been a staple in my bag since I started using drivers and 163g Gold Lines are what I carry in the bag.

The Maul and River feel very similar in the hand to me. Looking at the profile my Maul has a very pronounced dome where my River feels like a flat top with a pronounced shoulder. The River also seems to have a sharper bevel where the Maul looks like a smooth slight bevel.

The Maul has great glide, there were a pull throws where I'm tempted to say it may even have more glide than the River. As far as Latitude saying that it is a slightly less stable River, I didn't find that to be true in my tests but my Rivers are GL and a couple of grams lighter so that may be why.

My first few throws I gave it a good bit a hyzer and expected it to flip up but instead it held a very shallow hyzer line. After that I started throwing it with just a slight hyzer release and now I saw it flip up and ride very straight with a small fade at the end. This is the shot I think this disc was made for. I even tested it in some moderate headwinds and if I adjusted and put it on a slightly steeper hyzer and backed off just a bit I saw it flip up and fly very straight and true into the headwinds. For comparison I tried this with the River and the River would flip up and start straight in the headwind, it would start to turn after about 200' and would never come back. Finally I was trying to see if I could get some turn out of it so I started releasing the Maul flat. Again I was expecting a big slow turn with just enough fade to make it land flat but instead was greeted with a very sharp turn that didn't come back and honestly ended up shorter that I was hoping for. I couldn't really get this disc dialed in for nice slow turns but again, I only spent a few days with it.

Overall it seems like an interesting disc. It really excels at those flip up and lock on to straight shots where sometimes my Rivers might end up starting to drift to the right a bit more than I expect. For me though I felt the River was a more versatile disc. I do plan to revisit the Maul once it's released in GL though. So that's my noodle arm review, now to hear from the big arms!

It seemed slightly more HSS to me. But from what I've seen usually Opto is a tick more stable than GL so I would like to revisit the mold once it's released in GL for a more accurate test.

GLIDE CITY.

Just took a few field throws with a 170 gram Maul, and it's a blast to throw. They certainly did not overstate the glide number, as it has that same hovercraft quality that a River does. Hyzer flippers and noodle arms are gonna dig this one. Easy to throw straight, but it'll certainly turn with ease, too. Crushes a tailwind, and is super easy to grip due to the smaller rim width.

I've recently instituted a "throw fun discs" policy into my bag, and the Maul fits the bill.

OneMile, you've got me drooling again. For whatever reason (probably similar arm speed) I tend to click with the same discs as you. I'm waiting with baited breath for the full review on your blog. Any comparisons to the FD, River, or Seer would be most welcome.

I love this disc, it took the US Fairway spot in my bag for the time being, it glides and if you give it a lot of power on a hyzer flip it will go straight then right a long ways out, for those with a strong backhand and no forehand it fits right in between my tursas and inertia / freedom, anything to the right between 300-350 the maul works great. And imo the maul is more US then the river

OneMile, you've got me drooling again. For whatever reason (probably similar arm speed) I tend to click with the same discs as you. I'm waiting with baited breath for the full review on your blog. Any comparisons to the FD, River, or Seer would be most welcome.

I'm like your pusher. ;) Out of the box it's more understable than the FD, maybe a tick more understable than the Seer. I like the feel in the hand better than the Seer; the Maul feels just a littledeeper, almost like a thinner-rimmed Hatchet. Feels faster with a bit more glide than the Seer, too.

Haven't thrown a River in ages so I don't want to comment there, but I'll try and track one down locally to compare it with for my review. :thmbup:

how does it compare to a fury?
also wondering about the rim depth compared to the fury

Latest posts