• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latitude 64 Parent Company Acquires Dynamic Discs

Dynamic also posted an announcement. Here is the FAQ section that may be of help:

FAQ about Dynamic Discs Joining The House of Discs
Does this mean the House of Discs will produce discs in the USA?
This is a strong possibility and an option that the new board will explore in the following months.

Are the Trilogy brands (Westside Discs, Dynamic Discs, Latitude 64°) separating their partnership?
No, in fact, the connection between the three brands is getting stronger!

Are there other companies joining The House of Discs?
Additional strategic acquisitions are currently under discussion. We expect to see additional entities join the House of Discs in the near future.

Will Dynamic Discs remain its own brand?
Yes, Dynamic Discs and all of the brands under the House of Discs umbrella will remain. The House of Discs could be compared to the Mars, Inc. candy company, which owns and promotes various brands, including M&M's, Snickers, and Twix.

What does this mean to Disc Golf as a sport?
Having outside investors get involved with the sport of disc golf is as important as having outside, non-disc golf companies sponsor our tournaments. As our sport continues to grow, it will be helped by the outside talents, investments, and influences that positively impact the game we love. The House of Discs will definitely have a positive effect on disc golf.

Pros - injection of funds and building internal infrastructure.

Cons - if/when the bubble bursts, I could see the majority owners cutting ties.

Well. I've said it since 2012 - Dynamic will eventually be manufactured stateside. Looks like this is the deal that supports that move?

i think it's the name 'house of dicks discs'
Could be the English translation for the native language name which maybe sounds cooler in that language although it looks like these venture firms operate in several northern European countries.

Dynamic has some good molds that I don't throw because of latitudes plastic. I always hoped they would start making their own discs with better plastic. Guess that's not gonna happen.

Well. I've said it since 2012 - Dynamic will eventually be manufactured stateside. Looks like this is the deal that supports that move?

Nope. Making anything state side costs too much in labor. I'm actually surprised Innova and Discraft haven't moved production overseas.

This is probably too simple but I like the idea of disc golfers making disc golf discs.

I really think that might be it. Removing it to a company that is solely in it for profit, and not being invested in the sport personally.

Nope. Making anything state side costs too much in labor. I'm actually surprised Innova and Discraft haven't moved production overseas.

I think the chance some disc molding will be happening in the US (probably Emporia) within a couple of years is pretty good.

I'm pretty confident the US labor cost compared to labor cost in Sweden is not an issue, since my guess is that the labor cost is at least just as high here in Sweden (or in Finland/Scandinavia). By moving some of the production to the US you will save money in transport/import costs and time, not having to ship/fly the discs from Sweden to the US.

However, if you would move the production to the Baltics (like Estonia) or somewhere in Eastern Europe your labor costs would go down significantly. But I don't know of any disc manufacturer doing that. China is another place where your labor costs would be significantly lower. But you then will still have issues with long lead times getting the discs over to the US.