• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Trident.

I picked up a 175g Opto Trident yesterday to test and am finding the lines I hit with it in field practice fairly similar to what I can get out of my Lucid Verdict. The Trident has a more pronounced skip at the end because of the wing design, but otherwise I think the overlap is probably going to keep the Trident from making the bag. Thoughts?

funny you ask,i actually replaced my verdict with the trident. my verdict was too straight at times and just performing like my truths do. with the verdict i can use it to fill that spot and use as an OS fairway driver that is straighter when powered yet still fights wind and is easy to use. my verdicts could be used still but i lost faith in them after a few rounds with them in some heavy winded rounds. i realize that they arent wind proof but i need confidence in a disc to be able to pull it out on certain shots . also,with putting in the trident i killed two birds with one stone basically, i replaced the verdict and my overstable fwy driver that doesnt handly heavy winds either. so now i have the trident filling both roles and i can trust it no matter how i throw it. it does skip a little more because its slightly faster but its minimal and im liking it so far.

Now that all the ice is gone in iowa Ive found myself throwing my trident more and more. Such a versatile disc!

funny you ask,i actually replaced my verdict with the trident. my verdict was too straight at times and just performing like my truths do. with the verdict i can use it to fill that spot and use as an OS fairway driver that is straighter when powered yet still fights wind and is easy to use. my verdicts could be used still but i lost faith in them after a few rounds with them in some heavy winded rounds. i realize that they arent wind proof but i need confidence in a disc to be able to pull it out on certain shots . also,with putting in the trident i killed two birds with one stone basically, i replaced the verdict and my overstable fwy driver that doesnt handly heavy winds either. so now i have the trident filling both roles and i can trust it no matter how i throw it. it does skip a little more because its slightly faster but its minimal and im liking it so far.

Good points and food for thought, thanks for the input. It's supposed to be windy again here on Wednesday, I'll have to do some additional testing that day and see if I change my mind...

I am right there with Booter for part of his statement. I carry a verdict as my overstable mid, but if the wind is really high, I will grab the Trident for that slot. I also like using the Trident for 250 ft. flick shots as well as short range thumbers. It is a pretty versatile disc and fits nicely between my fairway setup and midrange setup.

I'm feeling some honeymoon Trident love. I heard EMac say that his trident sort of overlaps an xXx but is a little less overstable, farther flyer that he likes better than the xXx. But I have also heard from friends that at least the older runs were very meathooky like my xXx. I have always considered my xXx a speed 9 overlapping a meathooky firebird and with all of the "speed 6/midrangeish" talk I didn't know exactly what to expect. It was immediately apparent by the sibling shape, feel, and significantly lower wing height to me that it was simply a less overstable version of the xXx that I could get more glide and distance with...but the ever so slightly blunter nose and info I read here had me pretty confused as to how it might fly.

Distance/glide throwing them side by side: CPD>Trident>xXx>FAF Firebird. Don't have a normal Firebird or FL to test. :\

Comparing shapes of my 177 opto xXx, 177 opto Trident, and FAF 175 champ Firebird:

-The similarity between the three is very apparent
-The two lat discs are a tiny amount larger in diameter
-All three have equally flat and have equally vertical inner rims
-They are all equal in rim width. The PDGA approved discs chart says the xXx should be .1cm thicker but by feel that is obviously (and unsurprisingly...) not true. A Monster is very noticeably thicker.
-The Firebird's wing bottom has the typical Innova "X" notched shape while the lat discs have an "L" mold shape with a tiny bevel similar to a Monster L.
-The nose of the xXx and Firebird are equally fat but the Firebird's is slightly rounded off at the top. The Trident's nose is a hair fatter.
-When observing the height of the wing off of a flat and level surface the xXx is very slightly higher than the Firebird and the Trident is very slightly lower than the Firebird. So there is a pretty big difference between my xXx and Trident.
-The plastic on all three is excellent but the opto discs are both marginally more clear, flexible, and tacky.

This disc is really cool. I can throw it 320+ so far without max effort (unlike my xXx) yet it is significantly shorter than my Hurricane of similar stability and it is much more overstable than a fresh overstable EagleX/TeeBird/Rival. It is more overstable and shorter distance than my overweight domey pearly CPD. It is much longer distance and skippy but similar in stability to my new 176 Z Hornet. I have a hunch that with practice this might be an easier, more simple disc for many of the shortish, right hooking forehand upshots and drives than the Hurricane I have been using for a long time. I'm pumped :)

threw one today for the first time. really like it. actually can go a decent ways on a flex shot, definitely not as OS as the XXX though. a lot more like a banshee. will roll better though. has a badonkadonk for a rim; it's like having truck tires. picked the most OS one i could find and expected it to be a lot more of a meathook. i really don't think it'll hold up in the nasty stuff like my xxx does even though it is nicely OS. mine is only 169g, so of course that will have a lot to do with it. on the other hand, my most OS xxx are 170 as well.

a lot more comfy in the hand for thumbers than the xxx too even though the xxx works very well.

the GL ones i was looking at were consistently very flat and had noticeably higher PLH than the opto.

Last edited:
Generally speking the Opto should be more stable. After even the slightest beating the GL will start to turn in headwind and will become almost flippy in heavy headwinds.

My beat in GL is actually pretty close to a StPro, but it works a lot better on thumbers and forehands for me.

I think tha if they'd rate it say 6/4/0/4 it would be way more popular. Now people just look at it like some kinda freak and leave it be.

I have probably replied on this thread before but i'll say it again: Trident is great. There flight path may have overlap with some OS mids but if it actually is windy the Trident is far superior. It also does overhand, FH, and FH rollers great. Probably the best FH approach disc in existence. It actually does not skip much.

I pair it with the Stiletto for fast vs slow very OS duties.

Ummm, wow. Love this disc. It is overstable, but reminds me of a teebird and a banshee that fused. good glide, banshee stability. I used it a lot today for thumbers, rollers fh and bh flex shots, flat power shots and spike hyzers. Very, very impressed. This is actually a workhorse in my book. Extremely comfortable to throw.

I've had a Reddish/Gold "glopto" in my bag for a long time...I don't throw it all that much but when I do it is parked. Super consistent.

Adding some new Trident love! In an effort to beef up my big bag, picked up a super flat Dyed 167 GL at GGGT yesterday. Threw it for a round at Lakewood today. Now I understand what I've been missing: Power hyzers, spike hyzers, ridiculous rollers, BH / FH the Trident is just so freaking consistent...

Many thanks to the DGCR hive mind for making me aware of this bad boy. :thmbup:

Almost got a pretty purple with a gold stamp today but had to hold off since my Opto is still fresh. I really love this disc. It can crank too. I threw my GL 385 the other day on a dead straight line.

So... DGC has this listed at a 5 speed, but calls it a fairway driver. Is the general consensus that it IS a fairway driver? And if so, is it truely a 5 speed?

no. and i don't understand why people say it's like a mid, either. it's a wide diameter control driver, just like it says on the disc IMO. the rim is so blunt and the disc is wider than usual so that it flies slower than what you'd think a speed 9 rim would...similar concept to the xxx. it's a weird combo and i think it works very much in the trident's favor, moreso than the xxx even though the xxx is a great disc too. the trident is slow enough to be very controllable, wide enough rim and enough glide to get some distance, stability to hold the line hard, flat or into the wind.

there is only one overstable driver that i'd sub in for an OS mid/putter zone/drone type, and that is the H1 because it simply will not go anywhere except into the ground. i could probably throw my vp farther than an h1. i know for a fact i can throw a zone farther. it's a brick, it's the best and most overstable disc i've ever thrown, probably up there with the xtreme.

anyway. trident. winner.

Last edited:
no. and i don't understand why people say it's like a mid, either. it's a wide diameter control driver, just like it says on the disc IMO. the rim is so blunt and the disc is wider than usual so that it flies slower than what you'd think a speed 9 rim would...similar concept to the xxx. it's a weird combo and i think it works very much in the trident's favor, moreso than the xxx even though the xxx is a great disc too. the trident is slow enough to be very controllable, wide enough rim and enough glide to get some distance, stability to hold the line hard, flat or into the wind.

there is only one overstable driver that i'd sub in for an OS mid/putter zone/drone type, and that is the H1 because it simply will not go anywhere except into the ground. i could probably throw my vp farther than an h1. i know for a fact i can throw a zone farther. it's a brick, it's the best and most overstable disc i've ever thrown, probably up there with the xtreme.

anyway. trident. winner.

:thmbup: thanks koda

Yeah it's not a mid, it can throw some mid like lines but it's no mid and I think the stats need work too.

My GLis more like 7/4/-1/4

And the Opto is sort of 6/3/0/4

So yeah is a fairway, but it can do some middish things, and isn't so fast so it can get lumped that way.

Especially since if you carry one you don't really need a Gator/Drone type as much and it can be a good OS bridge from Zone/Harp discs to Firebird/Felon type discs.

Latest posts