• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude Overmolds

Someone on the Facebook posted a photo of an Insanity (I believe) that was cracked across the flightplate.

He said it wasn't the first time either.

Friend of mine said he cracked the flightplate on one of those old Medium Proton Eclipse Ions (the really stiff ones).

If you happen to remember where you saw those I'd like to see them too. I'd like to see what the split looks like, how long it is etc. out of curiosity.

To get that stamp to wear almost completely off a disc takes allot of time in my experience, but whatever, the disc looked old. I've tried to break a disc too on purpose and have played disc golf for many many years and have never, ever broke a disc in half. I'd actually be pretty proud if I could accomplish that, even if by chance or happenstance.

I've broken a few discs. Mostly DX Rocs in the winter when I first started playing, which is fairly understandable. The Wizard surprised me because it wasn't a power throw and it was warm out, and I had driven all sorts of Wizards into trees plenty of times.

Have yet to break a premium plastic disc from any company. Even my ex's 100lb doberman couldn't destroy a Neutron Anode we'd play with :)

For sure.

I wonder if Innova rethinks their overmolding technique or introduces more overmolded discs with a more conventional or entirely different process. I'm thinking the market shares for MVP in the US and Europe aren't that different.

I'M wondering the same thing. I remember watching a video and Dave D. said it was a pain in the a** to bring the Nova? into a reality. I think he might try a different method if they choose to make a new or existing disc in a (two part) in the near future.

If you happen to remember where you saw those I'd like to see them too. I'd like to see what the split looks like, how long it is etc. out of curiosity.

I've broken a few discs. Mostly DX Rocs in the winter when I first started playing, which is fairly understandable. The Wizard surprised me because it wasn't a power throw and it was warm out, and I had driven all sorts of Wizards into trees plenty of times.

Have yet to break a premium plastic disc from any company. Even my ex's 100lb doberman couldn't destroy a Neutron Anode we'd play with :)

I left a champ tern in a field and it got mowed. It had a huge slice through the middle of it. Despite that it kept its shape and I could still throw it over 300 feet.

I've seen pictures of plenty of broken MVP on the main fan page on Facebook. I've never seen a shattered one just cracked ones.

So it seems the Beetle is NOT overmolded. So still no official Lat "Gyro" molds approved yet? Does this mean Spill is ANOTHER PLASTIC!? That means DD will be releasing their "Beetle" soon.. :rolleyes:

And that also (probably) means a new plastic for both DD and in three years Westside.

That was my point in posting it. The trilogy peeps have what ... 15 different plastic names!?!

16728986_405402053137963_5381743027056995056_n.jpg

I've seen several of these on the facebook page. Not my photo. That was all I could find doing a quick search, but I've seen the Insanities mentioned too and they have all looked very similar to this one.

Thanks for sharing that. Thats nuts, I've never seen that happen to any premium disc. Would love to watch the throw that made that happen.

16728986_405402053137963_5381743027056995056_n.jpg

I've seen several of these on the facebook page. Not my photo. That was all I could find doing a quick search, but I've seen the Insanities mentioned too and they have all looked very similar to this one.

Curious about how something like this would happen. But then, seeing pictures of discs with thorns through them is always amazing to me. I am guessing the disc in the picture got cut somehow, because that is entirely too straight for too long a length for a break. Also does not look like the cut went through the overmold.

Curious about how something like this would happen. But then, seeing pictures of discs with thorns through them is always amazing to me. I am guessing the disc in the picture got cut somehow, because that is entirely too straight for too long a length for a break. Also does not look like the cut went through the overmold.

Didn't go through the overmold like the picture of the Gateway one that went straight through entirely. Most of the stories I've heard about these were someone throwing in the cold hitting a tree or something. If I remember correctly, most of the speculation was about the thinner MVP flight plates being the weak point in that situation.

Worst that Ive ever personally seen was a big gash out of one of my early Volt rims from a hitting a dense tree in Korea. It did make the disc more understable but I think it actually made it fly better. Ive seen a few on Facebook that were worse. And who could forget that first run of Envies? Those rims were weaksauce.

Overall though, and I am not a Gyro fanboy, I'd have to say MVP/Axiom are the most durable discs currently being run...sometimes to their determent. Very hard to beat them in!

I will say again that I am very interest in Lat64's take on the overmold and how they will fly!

Worst that Ive ever personally seen was a big gash out of one of my early Volt rims from a hitting a dense tree in Korea. It did make the disc more understable but I think it actually made it fly better. Ive seen a few on Facebook that were worse. And who could forget that first run of Envies? Those rims were weaksauce.

Overall though, and I am not a Gyro fanboy, I'd have to say MVP/Axiom are the most durable discs currently being run...sometimes to their determent. Very hard to beat them in!

I will say again that I am very interest in Lat64's take on the overmold and how they will fly!

Are you sure your Volts rim gash didn't come from a bullet fired from N Korea assuming you were in S Korea��

One of my Opto Seers has a small thorn embedded in it. Im not sure how it happened either, but that's how I tell my two 175g pink opto seers apart. The one with the thorn was fadeless out of the box. The other one will come back if you let it. The thorn did not change the stability ftr.

That Motion looks like it was run over.. and then sliced with a box cutter. I almost never do that with my discs during a round, so I think I'd be OK with MVP durability.

Every single time i play i get questions about my MVP discs. Even an older couple was on a walking path of DGC mentioned never seeing those kind of "high tech" looking discs. The bros im sure would have been proud of that one being disc nerds.

Gateway just seems to recycle same old ideas/molds so really curious what lat. Can/will do.

Wow, people must be discerning in your area. Most non-disc golf folks I talk to never saw a non-Frisbee disc before. I think anybody who thinks "Frisbee" would be impressed by a modern disc golf driver in shiny plastic.

Latest posts