• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

league questions

sndmn762

im starting a league with my friends and some co-workers, and got a question, some of the people are complaining about why we are not having a handicap system in place, everyone that is playing can throw about the same distance and everything with the exception of like 2 people, its a 33 dollar league runs for 7 months, so i guess my question is how do i get those people to play without doing a handicap

If you put in a handicap to please those people, you'll lose others who don't want one.

Neither is right or wrong, but comfort yourself by picking one, and ignoring the complaints. Or set up 2 leagues.

Sounds like your group may be too small for divisions.

All leagues I have played in are 8 weeks and they split into divisions after 3-4 weeks of play. Even if you split into an A or B pool that may help. Regardless, when the splits hit everyone that lands at the bottom of a division is going to give you an ear full, even if your decision is 100% statistically driven.

Also, if we are talking $33 for seven months and people are complaining about handicaps you may just want to let them peace out.

im starting a league with my friends and some co-workers, and got a question, some of the people are complaining about why we are not having a handicap system in place, everyone that is playing can throw about the same distance and everything with the exception of like 2 people, its a 33 dollar league runs for 7 months, so i guess my question is how do i get those people to play without doing a handicap

Change your format to random draw doubles. Singles without a handicap is a recipe for a lot of complaining imo you can also add a point system all places depending on how much of a turn out you get

People are complaining about the fairness of a $30 league? I know disc golfers are usually poors but...

Jesus.

im doing ctps,and point system already, also was thinking about doing a night golf couple times worth dble points, and when the league starts drawing from a hat where we play and if it is doubles or singles, if i do a handicap division it will have 2 people in it everyone else is fine with how it is

Last edited:
if i do a handicap division it will have 2 people in it everyone else is fine with how it is
This seems like a colossal waste of time.

I'd force one of those 2 to do all of the admin work to keep the handicap league running if they are so insistent on it.

I've played in many-a-league in both formats. Honestly, unless there's a pretty damn large group (at least 20 people) Having a handicap system really is just punishing the better and more experienced players. My first years in leagues I never won crap other than CTPs or Ace pools, but the big thing that made it beneficial to me was the advice and tips I garnered from playing with better and more experienced guys. I might not have placed well or gotten cash at the year end parties, but I could watch my scores go down week-to-week and year by year. Just my 2¢.

Handicap leagues are not popular with the more advanced players so you have to entice with some ctp prizes, ace pools, handicap limits (on how high it can go) and side action. We do all of theses at our weekly league and always have at least 30 plus people a week.

I've played in many-a-league in both formats. Honestly, unless there's a pretty damn large group (at least 20 people) Having a handicap system really is just punishing the better and more experienced players. My first years in leagues I never won crap other than CTPs or Ace pools, but the big thing that made it beneficial to me was the advice and tips I garnered from playing with better and more experienced guys. I might not have placed well or gotten cash at the year end parties, but I could watch my scores go down week-to-week and year by year. Just my 2¢.

Your attitude is the right one, but a rare one unfortunately. It's a long history but it's pretty obvious all disc golfers, regardless of how terrible they are, feel like they have to win something, or have a chance to win something. Every player should have to go through a "donation" phase. Maybe they never come out of it. That probably means they are not that good. We have too many divisions, and pay way too deep. There is an argument to be made it's all for the sake of growth, but it's pretty annoying.

I'm not saying people should not be entitled to play with players of similar skills. That makes sense. I'm just saying that if you suck, you don't win anything, and you should be OK with it.

Before anyone blames this on the macro problem with "entitled millennials" - this everybody gets something is one of the foundations of our sport. It's been around since the pre-millennial days.

Right alongside that is the attitude that good players should win something.

That anybody should win something.

That we can only have leagues or tournaments or play disc golf if there's something to win.

I'm not saying it's terrible, but it would relieve a lot of issues if people were interested in competing to compete. As they seem to do in at least some other sports.

Perhaps the questions to be asking are why do you run a league, and why do people attend it?