• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning curve for driving

rooktheklown

Bogey Member
I've only been playing a short time (5 games so far) and have been trying to work on my driving, which so far is my biggest weakness. I've been having a tough time getting the disc to rip right, but my short game has been decent. Yesterday I had three drives that just felt perfect, and resulted my three longest drives so far (189', 207', and 219' - all into strong wind).

So I got to thinking, how long did it take some of you to get the hang of driving?

It depends on what you mean by "hang of" and how hard you are willing to work on it, but a couple months is pretty normal amount of time to figure out what's going on.

I think it really depends on how much you play/practice, and how much reading you do on technique

I've only played 5 games total, 4 of which were over the past month (the 5th was my first time, last summer). I haven't had any chance to practice yet off-course, but I'm hoping to get some time in this weekend, hit the local HS football field.

As for reading, that I do a lot. I tend to be checking out the forums here daily. After my first game this year, my arm was sore all week. From reading here I figured out that I was strong-arming it, and made adjustments all week (just practicing turning my hips and pulling across the chest, no disc). The information I've been getting here has been awesome.

I played a lot of Frisbee, mostly just catch between my dad and I, growing up. I've always been able to rip an Ultamite disc farther than anybody I ever came across (not saying I'm the best by any means, I only played a lot of pick up games). The transition to Disc golf was simple, picked up a Valk and was able to rip it 350 from day one. (not trying to say I'm awesome, just telling my experience, answering the question).

My advice (take it for what you will, I'm still pretty new to the game, but play a sh*tload):

First, research: watch videos, read, ask locals, watch locals, hang out in these forums, watch pros, ask pros, etc.

Next. You know what a good throw feels like, analyze your throws.

A. Step up to the shot.
B. Visualize. What should the shot look like that you are trying to throw?Iimagine the disc leaving your hand, imagine what it feels like to get that rip, imagine the flight path that you're trying to throw and how your body is going to make the disc do that.
C. Grip 'n Rip
D. Analyze (without over thinking). did the disc do what you wanted it to? If so, remember how that felt. If not, why? (Wrong disc? Early release? poor grip? Late release?) and what will you do to correct it.
E. Repeat! Practice, practice, practice. Play more courses, play with more people, just get out there and play!

I find that if I'm not analyzing my throws, I just walk up and throw, maybe curse a little bit, and I'm not improving. Visualization is a huge factor, if I have a poor throw, most of the time I find that I didn't visualize it before hand.

Good luck and keep chuckin! Happy discing.

Last edited:
I was lucky. I had a fair gift for it from day 1. Went out with a friend and bummed his Classic Aviar and Ontario Roc an was throwing the Roc 250 right off the bat. Drivers didn't go much farther and I didn't actually really throw a driver for a month. Then I bought my own plastic and went with a Roc, Aviar and Valkyrie. I was throwing a little over 300' at this point.

I played one round at a course where holes were 150-200 feet. My second round of disc was played at another similar course. Rounds 3-15 were played in highbridge. I would say I learned in a hurry. My third round ever at blueberry hill was pretty difficult, and no doubt frustrating. We then played some two man scramble. I was able to test out lots of different throws. I was the noob and had the best teammate on my side. but if he missed a shot, I basically crushed mine. If he had a good one, I took a practice throw. I started with a 172 Avenger SS. kept me in the fairway all week long, and i plan on using it frequently on my return trip this summer,

Start with a lightweight, low cost, understable disc (LEOPARD) and you'll get it. plant your foot, nose down, flat disc, and you'll get it

My advice....(RHBH) Keep your left shoulder back. It's natural to drop that shoulder when throwing. Keep it up and your back flat. Don't arc your back....just keep it straight. This will help force your wrist to turn over the disc and get that "S" flight out of it and get more distance.

If you've been playing for a bit you may lose some distance. Don't worry about it. Work on the form and get the accuracy down....the distance will follow.

That's my 2 cents.

Get out to a field one day ,if getting the time is the issue, skip a DG round, and hit the field, the investment will be worth it.
Nice thing about practice is you can focus on that one area (driving). Rather than a round where you are focused on your next type of shot, you are focused on improving your previous one, repetition = mother of skill.

It's way easier to learn driving on a open field. During a round is hardly the time to learn. You dont have time to analyze, you can not throw a second throw etc.

So take all your drivers and go to work on a football field.

I've only been playing a short time (5 games so far) and have been trying to work on my driving, which so far is my biggest weakness. I've been having a tough time getting the disc to rip right, but my short game has been decent. Yesterday I had three drives that just felt perfect, and resulted my three longest drives so far (189', 207', and 219' - all into strong wind).

So I got to thinking, how long did it take some of you to get the hang of driving?

i'm still getting the hang of it

Video tape a few of your drives and post them on here. I thought I was awesome, but I got taken down a few pegs when I posted a video for critique!

Not really, but I got a lot of helpful advice. I was a typical no-snap strong-arm noob even though I felt like I was doing everything right.