• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ledgestone Insurance Championships SuperTour $10,000+ Added 9/14 & 9/15

Yeah, that was supposed to be a 5 not a 6. Thinking of the distance, it probably was ball park 500-525 because he was at the base of the hill and didn't get his up shot high enough and the hill ate it up.

Out of curiosity, why was this Friday - Saturday instead of Saturday - Sunday?

Heard today someone talking about Nikko not putting out during the final 9? Something about him dropping his disc thru the top of the (old) Innova Discatcher? Did he have a putt land on top and then just drop it in?

Yeah Dana, what happened was his putt landed on top of the basket and when everyone tapped in, he pushed the disc through the top and it went in. Then he picked it up and actually dropped it in and people were going ape **** bananas that he didn't mark his disc.

As long as he didn't have any other marking violations that round, it's a warning anyway, doesn't sound like it actually affected anything.

As long as he didn't have any other marking violations that round, it's a warning anyway, doesn't sound like it actually affected anything.

Yeah, they warned him but people were screaming STROKE HIM! It was hanging by a thread and I think he was just showing how it was barely hanging and poked it through instead of grabbing it out and putting it in. I know it was a big tournament and a big deal, but there were people who wanted his head and thought it was the most disrespectful thing they had ever seen which lead to it being blown a little out of proportion.

I know its a warning for the 1st time, but I was more interested to hear if he actually holed out, which it sounds like he did. The person that told me the story didn't mention that he "technically" holed out as well.

What really happened

Here's what happened.

(I know, because I was the official and scorekeeper for men's open final nine and was about twenty feet from the action the entire time.)

On hole 8, Nikko's second shot was a putt that ended up landing on top of the basket. He and everybody else correctly assumed that this was not a hole out. He went up to the basket, stared at the disc for a minute as if unsure what to do, and then picked up the disc and placed it in the basket without marking the shot.

I assumed he would have known the ruling beforehand so I didn't make any attempt to remind him before he walked up to the basket. I probably should have but at the time I didn't think it would be necessary.

I started walking toward him but due to the crowd I couldn't quite get to him in time - one of the other guys on the card (Devan, Cameron, or Tyler) told him he needed to mark his shot even if the disc is resting on top of the basket. He went ahead and placed his mini and then put his disc in the basket.

I spoke to him with the rest of the group present before we walked to the next tee and explained the rule that you're supposed to mark the shot beneath the basket and then hole out. I then said that its only a warning for the first violation, and we all walked to the next tee and continued play. I double checked myself a few holes later, just to be sure.

803.03G. A player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a marking rule if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. One penalty throw shall be assessed for each subsequent violation of any marking rule during the round if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

At first glance, this rule is slightly ambiguous about our situation. But then I referenced the article Marking a Lie on the PDGA.com web site. I know that this page isn't necessarily canon but it provides a good coloring of the rule. I wouldn't have stroked him even if he hadn't marked and re-shot since there isn't anything in the rules that states that you need to go back and re-shoot after a marking violation.

Here's the rundown.

• His second shot landed on top of the basket.
  • He failed to mark his shot before trying to hole out.
  • After an explanation, he marked his shot in the approximate location of where the disc would have been had it been located on the playing surface (and received a general group consent that it was the correct location) and then holed out.
  • He was told that it was a warning for the first violation of a marking rule.
  • He did not commit any additional marking violations during the round.

I heard that Nikko also carried a bomb and a boomerang in his bag.

Any truth to this?

the question is, is the act of him taking the disc off the top of the basket and placing it in the basket considered a throw? i dont think so. the only infraction he made was not marking his lie.

the question is, is the act of him taking the disc off the top of the basket and placing it in the basket considered a throw? i dont think so. the only infraction he made was not marking his lie.

But when you hole out this way legally it counts?

You can't say "does the act of him taking the disc off the top of the basket and placing it in the basket considered a throw?" and argue it's not when he should have taken the disc off the top of the basket and placed it in the basket which counts as a throw.

If that were the case, everytime someone did this it wouldn't count.

His action of placing it in the basket with a warning for not marking it should have been all that happened.

It amazes me that an event has an A Tier label and world class players and yet, people still don't know what to do**No wonder our sport won't grow.

**Assuming that he placed it in the basket twice.

Last edited:

Latest posts