• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

left hand backhand vs right hand forehand

tomte

Eagle Member
Since my rhbh is completly perfected :doh: I need something else to work on.
I both have a basic right hand forehand and a left hand backhand. Both about the same distance (like 250ft) and some accuracy.
Now since I can't play and practice enough to work and develop both, I feel I have to decide between them. What would you choose? Is a backhand superior to a forehand?

I wouldn't fuss with working two shots that are basically the same. I am certain that you can improve your RHBH and your RHFH. Concentrate on that first.

A backhand has potentially more power and control through more spin, if you can throw LHBH pretty well already I would go that route.

My Left arm is pretty much useless so I go RHFH.

I wouldn't fuss with working two shots that are basically the same. I am certain that you can improve your RHBH and your RHFH. Concentrate on that first.
The rhbh is not a question. The question is between rhfh and lhbh ;)

What about LHFH and RHBH? Which is more comfortable to you? It would help with any advice regarding the opposites.

yeah otherwise the throws are pretty much same damn thing. You are not going to find many people who throw both RHFH and LHBH b/c that's pretty pointless to master in the first place.

throw whichever you like more and are comfortable with. then learn the opposite of that.

There is a video of Will Schusterick throwing LHBH. And then Nikko threw LHBH on hole 1 at Vista in the Memorial. Supposedly Nikko's LHBH is more accurate than his RHFH. ???

So, it's not unheard of that guys would practice a number of techniques. Feldberg, for example, can't throw RHFH because of some injury. Maybe he could work on LHBH???

I just think it's all overkill. If you are physically able to throw BH/FH, then don't waste your time learning such similar shots.

Nikko's FH is pretty much garbage though I think, unless he had an injury too. It makes sense to throw LHBH if you can as it's a better shot. JMO

No sure about Will though, I think his FH is pretty solid.

I just think it's all overkill. If you are physically able to throw BH/FH, then don't waste your time learning such similar shots.
That's the point. My question still is, if the backhand has advantages over the forehand. That would make it worth more to go for the left hand backhand instead of the right hand forehand. I'm comfortable with both. Both need work. I will still play mostly right hand backhand.

Just looking at the vids of the memorial, a good rhfh or lhbh can be worth quite a bit, even if you have a good rhbh. Rolers just seem too random and limited to not practice the flying alternatives.

Last edited:
A backhand has potentially more power and control through more spin, if you can throw LHBH pretty well already I would go that route.

My Left arm is pretty much useless so I go RHFH.
:thmbup: My thoughts exactly. I throw RHFH because my LHBH is terrible. If I would of been as good at LHBH as I was at RHFH when I started to learn RHFH I would of stuck with just LHBH. The fact that backhand has more distance potential is why I see it as a better option than forehand. The main arguments I can think of for sidearm is when throwing you face your target the whole time & can throw shots lower to the ground than backhand. Though you can't really go wrong with either technique, its all personal preference. I recommend only sticking with either RHFH or LHBH. Practicing both would be almost pointless especially because you can throw annys & turnover shots RHBH. Some say sidearm is bad & harder on the body than backhand but I haven't found that to be true for me. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I would rather throw lhbh than rhfh but I am not good at it yet.. I feel like backhand is better for your body and it defiantly is easier to get more distance with

One advantage I could see to LHBH over RHFH is the ability to use the same discs all the time. Generally speaking, people are throwing more overstable discs FH, so having two BHs may slim your bag down slightly. And you would potentially know your discs a little better.

I guess thinking about it I'd vote for 2 BHs as your primary, but use a little practice time for RHFH if you're comfortable with it. Sometimes it may be the best shot based on your lie...or the only shot.

It helps having both when scrambling. FH is more compact motion.

Nikko and Will FHs are serviceable at best. Every time I watch Will throwing FH I can tell he doesn't have much confidence with it.

the thing about adding in RHFH is that, by extension, you can also start working on RHOH.

i will be working on LHBH and RHFH, but i think RHFH has the most utility and maybe better on the fairway while LHBH is better to have off the tee.

LHBH will be better for your body in the long-run, IMHO.
Not only is it generally less stressful on your knees/lower back to throw backhand (controversial, depends how you throw the FH), it also helps your muscular symmetry to be performing the same repetitive motion as equally as possible between the two sides. Try to throw as many left hand as right hand shots in your fieldwork; it will give your right side a break, while creating symmetry between the two sides of your body. I started out trying to do this & it seems to be paying off; neither arm gets overly tired, and the brain is clicking it in decently.

LHBH will be better for your body in the long-run, IMHO.
Not only is it generally less stressful on your knees/lower back to throw backhand (controversial, depends how you throw the FH), it also helps your muscular symmetry to be performing the same repetitive motion as equally as possible between the two sides. Try to throw as many left hand as right hand shots in your fieldwork; it will give your right side a break, while creating symmetry between the two sides of your body. I started out trying to do this & it seems to be paying off; neither arm gets overly tired, and the brain is clicking it in decently.

and this is why over the past few weeks I have been trying to learn lhbh.
but I am working on my lhfh as well for getting out of trouble and that is serviceable for all but drives now :) great to be able to confidently stretch way out left now and throw something that's not a backwards awkward backhand

I'll just ask "What feels more natural to you?"

the thing about adding in RHFH is that, by extension, you can also start working on RHOH.

i will be working on LHBH and RHFH, but i think RHFH has the most utility and maybe better on the fairway while LHBH is better to have off the tee.

This. I have pretty much equal distance off the tee with LHBH and RHFH. LHBH feels much more relaxed/easier to throw, but the versatility of RHFH has really paid off in many rounds.

The unfortunate thing for me is I have basically no RHBH which is odd because I'm right handed in everything else, but for throwing discs it just feels foreign to me. So I have the ability to use both arms, but it's the same shot :wall:

This. I have pretty much equal distance off the tee with LHBH and RHFH. LHBH feels much more relaxed/easier to throw, but the versatility of RHFH has really paid off in many rounds.

The unfortunate thing for me is I have basically no RHBH which is odd because I'm right handed in everything else, but for throwing discs it just feels foreign to me. So I have the ability to use both arms, but it's the same shot :wall:

you and i are in the same boat, just opposite arms. RHBH and LHFH. :hfive:

I would say practice both, but concentrate more on the LHBH. You should still work some on RHFH for scrambling with bad lies where the FH is the best option.

I will be working on my LHBH this year. I can throw 300 feet LHBH, but I just need more accuracy to be more effective. I will still work on my FH as I only throw 150 feet, but I will mainly work on RHFH accuracy so I am more comfortable getting out of trouble spots.

Latest posts