• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

left hand backhand vs right hand forehand

There is a video of Will Schusterick throwing LHBH. And then Nikko threw LHBH on hole 1 at Vista in the Memorial.

Just a thought but I read or saw that Phil Arthur throws both arms BH pretty equal. Maybe having that as a team mentor helps encourage to learn both.....

I throw RHBH dominant and RHFH and LHBH. I am more accurate and with greater distance with RHFH vs. LHBH, but when I throw LHBH it doesn't hurt for the next 15 min.

What are you wanted to do? Do you want to cover both right and left dog legs off the tee or wanting to be able scramble? I can see how having both FH would be useful for scrambling and having both BH would be useful off the tee.

i have played with a few people, in tournys, who throw just as far lefty as righty. as much as it seemed like an advantage initially, i feel they didnt allow one to take over and dominate. they were battling within themselves so to speak.

one thing to consider is almost all courses are designed to take away the easy/obvious lines for righties, (mostly open easy hyzers, esp shorter holes) by default leaving easy shots for lefties off the tee. this was obvious this last season as i was battling it out with this lefty for top advanced spot in a tourny and i seemingly had to work so much harder carving my lines and hitting putts, where he was throwing open hyzers the whole time. it was somewhat aggravating lol.

i have played with a few people, in tournys, who throw just as far lefty as righty. as much as it seemed like an advantage initially, i feel they didnt allow one to take over and dominate. they were battling within themselves so to speak.
Throwing far is not helping, it's the accuracy that wins. The problem might be if you throw a rhfh you usually use it for strong right turns and some scrambling.
If you are able to throw lhbh with accuracy you actually use it for more than those two occasions.

So I guess it comes down to how much time you can use for practice. Just use the forehand for those two occasions and if you got the time develop the left hand.

I'm primarily RHBH. I added a RHFH shot this year and it has really helped.

I tried LHBH first since I'm fairly ambidextrous but found the FH was more useful on the course. I like being able to approach shots without turning away which is obvious.

The bigger advantage though was I use my FH a ton for get out of trouble type shots where you are trying to straddle out of a bush or something. Having another BH wouldn't help much in that case but you can reach out and flick a FH fairly well.

I also struggle with standstill BH drives and find it a lot easier to throw my FH a lot further and more accurately than a BH in that case (i.e. on the wrong side of a hill where a run up is tough).

As for doing damage to your body. My FH hurt like hell for the first few months until I realized I was throwing it completely wrong and not using my body. Not that much different than strong arming a BH. If you do it wrong, it hurts. Now, it actually feels a lot easier on my body than a full up BH throw.

Two years ago mid winter I injured my right shoulder doing another activity. Until then I threw RHBH exclusively. With my right arm in a sling I starting playing LHBH, throwing approach shots under 200' and putting. After a few weeks or about 20 rounds my accuracy got good so I started driving LHBH. A month later my shoulder was strong enough to putt, so anything over 50' I threw L. Before long my scores at the home course were only a few strokes below my preinjury scores. To this day I drive and approach LHBH when it is the shot with the best advantage. My LHBH distance is about 50' shorter, and my accuracy consistency lags compared to my RHBH, but it has improved my game overall tremendously.