• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Patriot/Rival throwers opinion of plastic vs, weight for stability

Mr.Kleen

Hello,I am currently using a 167g Icon Patriot/Rival combo;would getting the same but in Pinnacle offer more stability for battling winds?Or should I get heavier Icons?I'm at my sixth month of experience,and have thrown some 172g+ discs,and Just dont feel right throwing heavier plastic.Thank you. Throw RHBH,max distance 250'-260'

At the distances you are throwing, a Pinnacle Rival will be beefy and should handle headwind shots well. In my experience Pinnacle Patriots fight the wind better than Icons, but definitely not as well as a Rival. You could maybe go Icon Patriot/Icon Rival/Pinnacle Rival and that would cover your bases. You also don't necessarily need to go max weight if you prefer lighter discs. Weight can help a disc perform in the wind, but it isn't the only factor. You could try tracking down a nice stiff Pinnacle Rival in lighter weight with high PLH and you should be set.

Quinum,thanks,this is exactly what I wanted to know.Going to get Pinnacle version of my combo and take it from there.Even with my limited experience,I really enjoy throwing those two discs,and the Icon plastic is great.Has good grip in damp conditions,and is downright tacky in the heat;have hit trees,fences,and even hockey-pucked one 100' down an old golf cart path,with little scuffing!

Just dont feel right throwing heavier plastic.

You answered your own question, there.

You also don't necessarily need to go max weight if you prefer lighter discs. Weight can help a disc perform in the wind, but it isn't the only factor. You could try tracking down a nice stiff Pinnacle Rival in lighter weight with high PLH and you should be set.

This.

Weight can help a disc perform in the wind, but it isn't the only factor.

Weight does help in winds and should be in the discussion:D Rivals are stable, like a well seasoned Teebird flip to flat and glide forever around 300-350'+ with a slight turn and minimal fade on the high end on calm days. Because you already like the mold, I'd highly recommend a heavier Rival for a wind fighter. You've only been playing for a short time, when you develop more power, a heavier rival will still be useful.

Personally, I throw a winter set up with Rivals and Patriots but in Legend Plastic. I've got a couple legends Patriots that I'll bag this winter. One is well seasoned that will hold a hard turnover, the other holds a laser line at your power or will do a tight S-curve thrown harder. I just tried out a fresh Icon Patriot and its got more turn than well seasoned Silver Legend...

Legend wears slower than Star and has better grip and durability than Gold Line, might be closer in feel to the Icon you're throwing, but I haven't seen too many Legend Rival/Pats sub 170. Anyway, and you'll probably read this 1,000 times on DGCR, plastics are always different one run to the next. If you decide on Pinnacle I'd suggest asking/looking for a more flexible Pinnacle. I think more flex means more grip for the winter and Pinnacle does make for decent skips.

Not only do the different runs matter but with legacy even the colors have different albeit slight variations in stability. Legend seems to have the best stability overall though and the grip is amazing. Love the slime green legend patriot and the purple legend ghost. Need to still get a rival in legend though.

If you want a Rival to fight the winds, grab a Legend Rival. Granted, I think you can only get those in mid-170s weights, so for a sub-170, it's not quite the same. For the record, my BH distance is about the same as yours (but am primarly a FH player if the shot is there). I bag 164 Icon Rival, 175 Legend Rival and 166 Icon Patriot most commonly. On top of those, have 167 Legend Phenom, but that's not a windy weather disc.

However, do have a couple of Pinnacles in the molds in question, 172 Pin Rival and 173 Pin Patriot. For some reason, the stability on those discs is flipped, with the Patriot, being super-stiff (and even stiffer in Finnish winter lol) also being more stable than the Pin Rival which is of much softer type. In the Icons, Patriots (also own a 164 Icon Pat) are clearly less stable than Rivals, with the Legend Rival being significantly beefier than than the 164 Icon Rival, to the point I can almost trust giving it full power (you know, max OAT :D ) rip with my FH.

I think I've read somewhere that yellow Icon Rivals were the most stable (in Icon plastic).. maybe that would work.

Latest posts