• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lemon Lake and The Red ROC Disc Golf Club

I just read this whole thing, and now I have a headache. My buddy got married in Crown Point, but I never did make it to LL. Cuz there was an open bar. And I was in the wedding. And you know... Open bar.

But I'm not quite grasping the problem here either. What EXACTLY do the Svitkos control? A pro shop? Cool. Let them have it. They don't provide upkeep of the park. They don't hire people to take out trees, mow fairways, or whatever. That falls under the parks department, no? So if you think the park is in disrepair and you want to change that? DO IT. Talk to parks. Organize a work party. They aren't going to turn down free labor. Then keep doing it. Do exactly what you know how to do. It will build a positive relationship with the parks department. Then throw your own tournaments, or leagues, or whatever. You're within the law. Just because the cops got called once shouldn't deter 75% of participants. Put the word out. Leagues are allowed. Come on out. Do leagues. Do dubs. See about doing glow. Do what you as a club know how to do. You don't need the Svitkos for that. And the more you do, the bigger the turnout.

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. It just seems so obvious to me. Then again, I'm sitting on a couch 2000 miles away.

If the park has said you can run leagues, do it. Document (video preferred, and on multiple occasions) any type of negative response you get from anyone 'in charge'. If you're trying to get people removed from the situation, proving to the parks that they're actively running people (and money) out of the park may be the only way to do so.

The good ole days are about over...if it's not a source of revenue the parks don't want a part. With more people playing there are more potential issues (injuries in public parks leading to liability, litter, etc). Gotta show you're worth their time to mess with. The pitch used to be hey, 18 holes is cheaper than a playground. Unfortunately that's not good enough anymore.

I'm not sure this is true---at least, not everywhere. Parks people have given me the impression that the number of park users looks good on their reports and resumes. In fact, that has been the rationale for losing parts of courses to other activities---not that the other activities were revenue producers directly, but that they served more people than disc golf, and thus made that particular park look good. And perhaps, justify more tax money in their budget.

What I have found to be true, though, is that parks departments don't like hassles. If two leagues are squabbling over use of a ballfield, the park workers will try to not get involved. Or come up with the simplest solution, to them, though not the best ("you guys get Monday and Wednesday, you other guys get Tuesday and Thursday, now go away.") Or if an activity is demanding their repeated intervention--problems with neighbors, police calls, park repairs---they'd just as soon get rid of it.

I'm interested to hear if anything ever came of this petition?

Has any progress been made towards a reconciliation between RedRoc and Svitkos/LL park management?

i understand and feel your frustration, but your plight is pretty common in our game. Courses are almost always built on the backs of golfers and clubs. Just as often is the blood, sweat and tears of the work taken for granted and given no credit. The current owners "have control", either fight this via legal channels or continue to do what hundreds of clubs across the country do. Use great patience and diplomacy to repair, maintain or build a working relationship with the powers that be and do the right thing. By that I mean....get to work and do what is best to golfers and the courses. Will you be given credit....likely not. Will you be underappreciated....again, likely. Volunteerism is a thankless job.

Sorry, courses are pulled all the time by private adventures, municipalities, and park systems, in lieu of dog parks, water parks, hiking trails, zip lines..... Never have the clubs and golfers who spent countless hours and money to build the course, happy.

I know you are looking for and perhaps expecting a large outpouring of support here, but many of us have lived through very similar circumstances. I think it is vital to answer the questions posed by @iDiscGolf, below. This would give everyone here a little clearer picture of what you are claiming happened.

Good luck with your plight. I hope the resolution is what is best for the area golfers.

They won't allow the club to play their leagues there. If I was part of the club they would get zero cooperation from me. Let them die and then resurrect is my thoughts.