• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Length between basket and next tee?

It just depends on the situation. Some laces have a very long walk between holes, but there's a very obvious reason why there is no hole there. Sometimes there's just a bog chunk of land you can't do anything with and you just have to cross it.

The walk back to the parking area from 18's basket looks way too long. Look into hubing the course from another parking location so that ideally 1 and 18 begin and end respectively near parking. if there were a tournament there it would be a huge issue with players hiking back to #1 from #18 and doubling back up those initial holes.

Also there's a distance range of 275+ where people will start throwing with 100% power decreasing the shot accuracy as the skill level goes down. Increasing worst shot scenario.
Do not put other park users in your spill zones. Same goes for the next tee.
Basically you want the next tee far enough away that it's not on the previous green (think a 160ft ish diameter circle) if your reaching the green off a tee shot(par3) and give a wider birth the longer the tee shot. If reaching the green is done with an upshot you could probably have the next tee closer since your dealing with a lower power shot. But again stay out of the greens zone so that there isn't much interference between the holes during play.
Johnson Street is awful about this considering the amount of chuckers. I get that is was designed quite a long time ago but there should never be a reason to cross a green to get to the next hole or have the tee way too close to the previous basket where you have to worry about errant shots.

Anyway good luck. look at the land alot in all the seasons, especially when its really wet out, for all the possibilities. Stay away from the other activities. Dont force in a layout that the property cannot sustain.
Take your time, do it right.

Where long transitions are necessary, my one plea is for adequate "next tee signs". I hate walking 200 feet down a trail, and starting to wonder whether I'm heading in the wrong direction.

@DSmith

The only problem with using different parking is that the parking beside of tee1 is free, if you take the road around the park they actually charge 5 bucks for carload. Not sure why but I know when my family has reunions and such at one of the shelters I always have to pay. The playable area around the lake at the beginning does not give enough room for two parallel fairways so that really as close as I could get 18 to the parking area. I could move 18 closer to the parking by putting it below hole4 but brings the lake into play, would be a shorter hole, and it just would not be as fun.

Also in regards to re-routing all the holes farther into the park, I wanted the kiosk and holes to be visible from the road and other park users to make them say "what is that? I'm gonna check that out." Disc golf in this area is totally foreign to everyone, so I want to make it visible. Or else I would start and finish near the big field for instance and work around.

@DSmith

The only problem with using different parking is that the parking beside of tee1 is free, if you take the road around the park they actually charge 5 bucks for carload. Not sure why but I know when my family has reunions and such at one of the shelters I always have to pay. The playable area around the lake at the beginning does not give enough room for two parallel fairways so that really as close as I could get 18 to the parking area. I could move 18 closer to the parking by putting it below hole4 but brings the lake into play, would be a shorter hole, and it just would not be as fun.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/1330/88e68b67.jpg

Griggs Reservoir DGC Columbus Ohio
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1330

Its just as narrow if not more that the piece of property that your 1-3 is on

Cant really tell from the map but I have a hard time believing its just as narrow. The widest space on 1-4 is 225 ft and that is where a shelter is (between 2 & 3). This is going to be a "rec" course where discs may be flying everywhere. I just don't feel comfortable putting 2 fairways side by side in a 200ft space.

Where long transitions are necessary, my one plea is for adequate "next tee signs". I hate walking 200 feet down a trail, and starting to wonder whether I'm heading in the wrong direction.
2nd that. Signs are crucial if you have long walks. 1 or 2 to make the course better is probably ok just don't have too many of them.

Agree with the others...I don't care about long walks between holes, as long as there are enough signs to let me know I'm on the right path.