• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

I have bagged a color glow the last couple of years.

Nice and flattish and slightly US. It was a slot I couoget a teebird to fill.

looking to hear from dedicated leopard throwers on how they're using the 3's, or why they didn't make room in the bag for one.

I've been throwing a Leo for about 2 years consistently now, and before that it floated in and out of the bag as I was trying to force discs to work in that slot for me, none of those discs ultimately did so I'm on the Leo train for good now I think.

I tried a champ Leo3, and recently a Star Leo3 that was found on the course. To me they just don't feel right and seem to come out of my hand badly. Not sure why as the disc is essentially identical, but that's why I don't use the Leo3. I think it's a bit too stable for me as well. There are a lot of discs in that stability out there, and the Leo3 is definitely a good one, but it wasn't soooooo good I had to switch. Leopards are like rocs to me in that I like a little done on them, it just fits my hand better and comes out cleaner for whatever reason. Other discs I prefer flat, but not those 2. Weird I guess, you'd think flat or dome would be preferred across the board.

I throw Leopards and Leopard3's in Champ plastic interchangeably. I see no differences. They are amazing backhand, forehand, overhand and roller discs.

Anyone else throwing the Gibson luster champ Leopard3? It's the only Leo3 I've tried, but I love the plastic and the flight. I'm guessing it has more HSS than Star or Champ, but maybe I'm wrong. It's also cheaper than most tour series discs, so there's that.

Overall, this mold seems like a winner, and I say this partly based on watching cardmates and pros (Anthon) carve with them. Champ seems solid for this mold. My problem is I have a few discs in my possession that overlap. I own a Champ Leo, C-FD, Pinnacle Patriot, but the Gibson Leo3 has earned the bag spot. The Patriot definitely goes farther for me, but is still a little more overstable so isn't as consistent on turnover lines. The champ Leo is just a little slower and that makes a difference, even if it's mostly feel. The C-FD is still a little fresh and may get better, but I suspect it will stay a field work disc for a while.

I have replaced all but pro leopards with leopard 3's. I carry one or two DX L3's, an old domey pro leo, and either a champ or star L3. The DX L3's are as flippy as leo's but I find they turn later and handle a bit more power. They also fall nearly straight down from higher up. The pro leopard is a bit more stable than the 3's and works better for me on certain shots like uphills and flicks. The champ and star fly very much like the old beat in pro's I used since I started, and I only switched for convenience and cost. Once they wear in, they stay the same almost forever. Nice and flippy, glidey, and not too touchy for anhyzers. And every single 170-171 I have bought flies and feels the same.

Anyone have a clue on current leopard3 plastic stabilities?

Star ???
Champ ???
Luster ???
Color glow ???
Glow ???

Star ???
Champ ???
Luster ???
Color glow ???
Glow ???

Only thrown Champ and Star. The Champs have minimal turn, somewhere around TL or FD stability. The Stars have had some variety, two X-outs have been the same stability as the Champs and then another has a true -2/1 stability. Throwing them 300-350. Overall am a fan of them.

The ones i have

Gstar -> Star -> Champion -> -> Luster . . . . .Gibson Luster is really stable

Star ???
Champ ???
Luster ???
Color glow ???
Glow ???

The Star, Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star, and normal Champion are similar stabilities, especially fresh out of the box. All are good. My favorite discs in this mold are a Champ and an HL Star. I've been using them a ton, especially in the woods.

The Glows (color and regular glow) are a bit more (over)stable when fresh. The regular glow acts like it wants to season in fairly quickly, but I don't have quite enough experience with it yet.

The Stars are taking too long to break in for the shot I want, so I'm going to try out the DX version.

Innova really needs to run these in Pro.

Try the Gstar. . flies like a US Star . . IF you can live with how soft the Gstar is

The Stars are taking too long to break in for the shot I want, so I'm going to try out the DX version.

Innova really needs to run these in Pro.

Why not just go pro Leo. I've seen some really nice flat pro Leos around lately.

I ripped my buddies Leo3 a few days back and it's dead straight outta the box at 167g. Don't see the big difference between them and Leopards though.

I throw old Pro Leopards, I have never found any new runs to be as flat.

They may not be "as flat" these days but I recently had a Star Leo3 and a Pro Leo in my hands and the 3 wasn't noticeably flatter in any significant way.