• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

For forehand, Luster L3s are my favorite neutral to understable speed 6/7 I've come across. Maybe someday I'll have a Gibson that will flip and not fade, but for now I enjoy what it does best.

Too lazy to read through the thread....

The Leopard3 has the same rim as the OG Leopard but is supposed to have the flat 3 top? Like Teebird & Teebird3?

What's everyone's preferred plastic on this one? G*, Star or some type of Champion?

I came across a G* Leopard3 on the course (left behind) & really liked the feel of it.

I have one Gibson luster, it is very neutral and great. Holds lines well. Stable for a leo3.

I have an older penned champ that is more traditional in flight, flip to flat, flat to turn.

Glow champ is between the two, closer to the traditional champ.

I carry the straight up champ for turnovers and stand still type stuff.

This thing is finding its way into my bag because it pushes further before the soft fade, while my regular Leop needs some room to move to the right to fly as far. That's in champ plastic, on a noodle arm. I'm glad to have access to both flights.

The Leopard3 has the same rim as the OG Leopard but is supposed to have the flat 3 top? Like Teebird & Teebird3?

What's everyone's preferred plastic on this one? G*, Star or some type of Champion?

I came across a G* Leopard3 on the course (left behind) & really liked the feel of it.

I used to throw Star Leopards, still have my old PFN that I have now replaced with Champ Leo3s. I have switched to Champ for my fairways. Personal preference; I think it feels better in general than the average Star currently feels.

The Champ L3s I have thrown are pretty close to a well seasoned stable Teebird or a moderate FD (Champ/C-Line respectively) out of the box, with maybe some turn right away thrown flat and hard. They hyzerflip to flat or to turn soon enough though, basically what you expect from a Leopard. I imagine GStar would be there right away.

They are less domey than your typical Leopards but still some dome there. Haven't thrown any that are flat.

I used to throw Star Leopards, still have my old PFN that I have now replaced with Champ Leo3s. I have switched to Champ for my fairways. Personal preference; I think it feels better in general than the average Star currently feels.

The Champ L3s I have thrown are pretty close to a well seasoned stable Teebird or a moderate FD (Champ/C-Line respectively) out of the box, with maybe some turn right away thrown flat and hard. They hyzerflip to flat or to turn soon enough though, basically what you expect from a Leopard. I imagine GStar would be there right away.

They are less domey than your typical Leopards but still some dome there. Haven't thrown any that are flat.

I agree with this for the Champion ones, well seasoned Teebird is a good comparison. They'll hold a hyzer at moderate power or flip to flat if you really lay into it. The Stars are more true to the numbers and easier to flip, my preference for wooded shots. I bag both plastics and love how far they can fly.

I had a G* Leo3 that I threw a lot at altitude in Colorado. Having moved many feet closer to earth's surface, though, it's a little too flippy. Now I use a 165g S-Line FD for the same hyzer-flip, wander slightly right, finish straight shots.

I've got a Star, a Glow Champion, several regular Champion, Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star, Hannah Leatherman Glow Champion, Gibson Luster Champion, and I had a DX that was claimed when the DG gods of the Lake demanded sacrifice.

My favorite is the Hannah Leatherman Glow Champion, but the regular Champion comes in the 160-class weights that I prefer. So I mostly bag one or the other of those.

Just don't get this disc

My first post, please be gentle :)

I have been playing for about eight months pretty regularly. I am over 40 and don't have the best form or fitness level, so I have been working hard and now can throw a Beast about 270 or an old Valkyrie on hyzer flip to about 260.

I know a big part of it is just I am lacking "arm speed" but I got a new Champion Leopard 3 and it just does not fly true to the number at all. It always turn hard left after thrown so it feels like a 7/5/-1/3 for me. I had no problem with plain old DX leopard.

Maybe I just need to beat it in more? Maybe throw it anhyzer so get a S turn out of it?

Thanks

I have been playing for about eight months pretty regularly. I am over 40 and don't have the best form or fitness level, so I have been working hard and now can throw a Beast about 270 or an old Valkyrie on hyzer flip to about 260.

I know a big part of it is just I am lacking "arm speed" but I got a new Champion Leopard 3 and it just does not fly true to the number at all. It always turn hard left after thrown so it feels like a 7/5/-1/3 for me. I had no problem with plain old DX leopard.

Maybe I just need to beat it in more? Maybe throw it anhyzer so get a S turn out of it?

Thanks

yeah its called fade btw

champ leo3 will probably mostly fly like a backwards upside down L at that distance

depends what you want the disc to do its just fine for a straight to fade shot

if you want something flippy you could go back to a dx leo

flight numbers are just a suggestion anyways and especially true for innova who is the best at inconsistency

Thanks

When new players wonder about why their discs fade hard, 90% of the time it is because of nose angle issues, not the actual disc. Check out the technique section of the forum, and spend a week ironing out your form. The champ Leo3 is a great disc, and will be a dependable long term fairway driver for you, we all just have to get over the learning curve to make the most out of our gear.

I wouldn't be surprised if the champ leopard is just really overstable out of the box. I have a pop-top champ FD that flies as stable as my Teebirds.

If you're stuck at around 260-270 however, I too agree that nose-up is probably an issue.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is fade, not turn, I knew that :doh:

Good point on nose angle, definitely struggling with that, watched tons of youtube videos and working on it. Nobody (in person) told me about the wrist angle (pouring the coffee). I've only recently learned from Youtube, and it helped but still an issue.

I do feel out of the box, it is more overstable than the number as well.

Will keep working on it, thanks!

I have a Champ Leo3. There are a couple of low ceiling holes in the 220-240 foot range where I'll throw it from a standstill. I throw it on a bit of hyzer, and flies straight as an arrow and fades pretty hard. Honestly, at that range, I get the same flight and fade out of virtually any 7 speed that I've ever picked up.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is fade, not turn, I knew that :doh:

Good point on nose angle, definitely struggling with that, watched tons of youtube videos and working on it. Nobody (in person) told me about the wrist angle (pouring the coffee). I've only recently learned from Youtube, and it helped but still an issue.

I do feel out of the box, it is more overstable than the number as well.

Will keep working on it, thanks!

ive thrown star and champ ones

its a great disc its just moar os than advertised

tbh tho if i was lookin for that straight to fade slot i would just throw a tb

the leo3 is a solid mold tho

keep watchin the youtube videos and it really helps to video yourself and look at your own form you can pick out mistakes quickly

Picked up a star 175 L3 the other day at Play it Again to try out, I carry Stings for the slot I had in mind for it, Big Z for least stable and a Ti that's more stable.

The L3 I grabbed had a good amount of dome and felt pretty close to the Sting in the hand other than the little ramp/bead. Took it to a field and couldn't believe how beefy the thing was, I know it's a different mold from the Sting but the numbers are very close, the Big Z Sting s a 300' flip up to trn over and never come back, the Ti will turn but can be smoothed out to 320 with a nice straight flight. This L3 will barely turn then finished with a forward pushing face on the last 40% of the flight, really surprised by this.

Is this typical for the star L3s? It's my only experience with the mold. I do like it and it has the chance to push a 10 year old beat star Teebird out the bag that's become untrustworthy for it's intended role.

^^
I just bought a Star a few weeks ago and it's the same as yours. Rather disappointed. It does have good glide though.
The Sting is a better leopard as of now. Wish I could find another one.

I'm going to keep wacking trees and throwing forehand rollers with it for a bit and see if mellows out.

Ok, glad to hear someone else had the same result and I'm planning on doing the same with mine, keep it in the bag and throw it alongside every shot when I'm playing a solo round, maybe beat enough sense into it where it realizes what mold it is.

Stings are in short supply, seems weird because I used to have a pile of them and traded most of them away, I did just order a cryztal sparkle one from Ledgestone, curious how those fly, hoping to get something more stable than the TI ones.

Just bought a stock Champ Leopard3. I'm trying to find something to replace my FDs. My Leopard3 has a small dome, not as much as the Halo Leopard3s I've seen. My Leopard3 flies more like a Teebird than a Leopard. It has held a hyzer every time Ive throw it. Are the Halo Leopard3s more understable or do I need to keep beating in a TL3 to replace the FD?

Latest posts