• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leopards and Lids: the bag of a weenie arm

sweeper

Eagle Member
I recently took out my higher speed (too fast for me) drivers including wraiths.
300' Course D, 330' Field Max D (RHBH) have a FH that I can use for some approaches.

DRIVERS:

168 Eagle X - Main stable driver and FHs

171 ESP Pulse - Almost never thrown, in the bag for headwind FHs and some "get outta the crap" shots. Just feels good to have.

Leopards - 175 DX beat (understable and max D), 175 Star (straight), 175 champ (tunnel and some short stable throws).

MIDS:

Comets - 170 X (beat very understable), 174 T-pro (straight to understable)

DX or JK Roc - straight to stable (usually between 174-176)

PUTTERS:

188 Rippas - all putts inside 30' some putts out to 70'- sucks in the wind.

175 Rattlers One newish one beat. almost all throws under 200' or so except those with BIG turns.

Other discs I am presently messing with: 170 T-pro comet (newish), 179 X comet, 170 pro leopard, 171 DX Eagle L (hoping it can be a longer flippy POS some day like my DX leopard)

SO what do you think? I'm a consistent player who does fairly well staying in the fairway and get a LOT of pars. I score few birds but fewer boges. Am I missing anything? What can I totally do without? Who else throws almost all slower/older mold drivers and why? Does anyone share my sickness attachment to lids and discs that glide?

I use a similar set up albeit different molds but that should work. I use champ Leopard for stable, pro for understable and a Pred for overstable and OHs which I imagine is similar to the purpose of the Pulse here; and I throw similar distances as you as well.

I like to keep it simple and discs within my ability for the reason of control and to keep my throws clean. I also regularly drop to just putter rounds to try to improve and every once in a while, you gotta have fun and go ahead and break out something fast just for the heck of it.

As long as your having fun, you're in good shape.

You can probably do better than the Pulse for an overstable driver, but if you aren't having problems then there probably isn't an issue.

I'm not a big fan of not carrying a more neutral, modern style putter but if you're happy with how you putts, upshots and drives are with the Rattlers then you're probably OK with them, too.

I like the bag otherwise.

I'm getting there myself:

1 Z Comet
1 Champ Leopard
2 DX Cobras
1 Star Sidewinder & 1 Champ Sidewinder
2 Champ TeeBirds
2 Pro Katanas
2 KC Pro Aviars

My lack of a real putter is a constant stress to me. I just haven't figured out the right one. I threw some magics for a while, and if I can get them back from my gf I may try them again.

Like you, I'm a big fan of Leopards and Eagles. I look to the Rhyno for my putts, though I know they're not an overly popular, everyday putter around here. The DX one just feels perfectly cut in my hand, and it flies well. Check one out if you're keeping your options open concerning putting.

My lack of a real putter is a constant stress to me. I just haven't figured out the right one. I threw some magics for a while, and if I can get them back from my gf I may try them again.

My advice for putters: get a dx Aviar P&A. Beat the snot out of it. Enjoy.:thmbup:

Really like the Leo and Eagle combos, in my limited experience there aren't two discs out there that compliment each better.

As far as putters go try a wizard, I love mine in SSS, even got one in medium I use for driving and long approaches.

Edit update:
I have indeed added a couple of putters and removed the Rippas.

175 Star Aviar P&A (I can throw it about 260+)
175 DX Sonic (annys 250+)

I am now throwing the DX Eagle L long and straight. It is now my max D disc. I am thinking about adding one of the more stable Champ Eagle Ls and taking out my Eagle X because it is just a shorter disc for me.

You can probably do better than the Pulse for an overstable driver, but if you aren't having problems then there probably isn't an issue.

I'm not a big fan of not carrying a more neutral, modern style putter but if you're happy with how you putts, upshots and drives are with the Rattlers then you're probably OK with them, too.

I like the bag otherwise.
My sentiments exactly.

What plastic is the Eagle X in? I'd say keep a beefy one on hand for windy days and overstable duties.

If you are looking for a more conventional putter with sick glide and straightness in spades, try an APX/Reef, Dart, Ion, or the Magic again.

Really solid bag though once you figure the putting thing out. :thmbup:

I have taken you all's advice.
I have removed the Sonic (because I couldn't get a consistant release and because I broke it on tree) and added a Magic. I like it a lot. I still putt with my Rattlers and love them for upshots.

My eagle X is 168 Star and I have kept it in the bag and it has performed well. I have been experimenting with other discs because I am between tourneys and tend to mess around and then get my bag constant a few weeks before I have to play a serious round.
Here are my experimental discs right now:

Assassin (I have 2 and they are VERY long for me... sometimes)

Cyclone (not sure if I like this better than leopard, but I love the old T-pro plastic. Its an old misprint and has a cool ufo stamp on it)

Cyclone 2 (really liking this! I seem to throw it like a long roc, nother sweet plastic misprint)

I love the feedback I get here. Thanks!

I have no idea why a Rattler is "NOT a primary putter" to quote a previous post. I will agree that it is NOT a popular choice for primary putting but that shouldn't mean anything.
If you know how and when to use it and if you are aware of its proficiencies and limitations then you should be golden. Other discs will fill-in for the Rattler's weaknesses.

Magics are fun, especially in 150 class. I have a bunch of Magics ranging from 145g-175+ and the lightest ones are my favorites. The lighter discs emphasize the best qualities of the mold. It's worth noting that I might be a little biased because I throw all 150 class.

Do you keep the Cyclone and the Leopard in the bag at the same time?

I actually took the leopards when I put in the cyclone. They seem to fit a lot of the same holes, even if they don't fly on the exact same lines.

I can't. I only have one cyclone, its the old tourney plastic (I think) and I've only thrown it a few times.

Latest posts