• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Less than stellar service from Hazy Shade in Dayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulligan

Double Eagle Member
Okay, so here's how this went down for me.
I'm sure other folks have had good experiences here, but this is just what happened to me today.

So I want to get an Innova discatcher traveler in yellow specifically.
I like the hi vis of yellow and I'm a Steelers fan.
I understand the weaknesses of this model, but I have specific uses in mind (camping and walking down to the local park without dragging a 40lb basket for example).

The local Columbus shop doesn't have yellow in stock, and I was trying to keep my money fairly local. I found Dayton's Hazy Shade store online. Checked their stock last night and they said they had yellow "in stock". Bonus that it was priced at $109.95, so I figure its worth the drive plus I could check out a new DG shop for me.

I drive the hour or so there in lousy weather and initially like the place upon entering. The main guy there (idk if the was the manager or owner, he was shorter w a beard) said their stock was a low, and sure enough the discs looked pretty picked through. I told him I was looking for the traveler and wanted one in yellow and he told me they didn't have one.

I said I checked online last night and it said they did, for $109.
He said "Yeah, WITH SHIPPING and we just drop ship those from Innova."
I said that that was not clear on their website.
( please refer to their own page where it expressly says the item in "in stock" and "free shipping to the continetal US")
http://www.hazyshade.com/online-store/targets-baskets/innova-discatcher-travler.html

Then he tells me all they have is red. And that they are $120.

I'm bummed, and already don't like the attitude I'm feelin', but continue to look around and found a Beast and ballcap I wanted. Meanwhile the beardy guys starts telling the skinny counter guy loudly, so I can overhear, "wow, the retail on those baskets has gone up to $150 through Innova...we're gonna have to look at repricing them soon!" Real cheesy, douchy-like...totally transparent.

Then I go look at what they had basket-wise, hoping to salvage my time and my drive. They don't even have any travellers displayed. I notice the travelers they have are in two different boxes with pics of 4 and 5 leg models. I had seen pics of the 4 legged ones online and assumed those were older models.

I ask the two guys there (beardy and skinny) whats up with that, and they stumble over whether or not a 4 legged version exists, initially telling me they all were 5 legged and that the smaller boxes were for "tournament sale" whatever that means. I then get them to open them up and sure enough, different models.

Skinny guy is already pissed I proved him wrong and tells me "I don't know why anyone would ever buy these. They're crap. I have one of these" (points at a Skillshot and walks away disgusted).

So, I'm getting more and more offended, but STILL trying to give these dopes my money. I have a decent talk with Beardy about the different models and WHY I want the traveller, and he agrees that its right for my useage.

So I say "look, I drove an hour here, this isn't the color I want, but if you can do the $110 price on either of these (4 or 5 legged)...I'll take it now."

"No. I'm not gonna do that. The RETAIL on these is $150"- Beardy

He then starts to try and give his stoner explanation of retail pricing and I stop him.
I said I was a retail manager for 6 years for a major retail company... I don't need an explanation from him.
Put the Beast and hat back and split.

I got a "sorry we couldn't help you out" to my back on my way out.

I don't get why these kind of shops hire or let folks run them this way.
I guess I should have expected it, being that its half a smoke shop... but having no idea what your website actually says and arguing with the customer?
I had $150 to give them on a wet and lousy day that noone is going to be out buying discs in Dayton.
I just wanted the basket for the price they have it advertised for... in the wrong color even.
I'm a customer that drove an hour to do business with them, and they let me walk out, after they also insult the product I expressly drove there to buy!
One they clearly don't ever sell, and no wonder why!

My fiancee is from Dayton and I'll def be in the area a lot to play.
I won't be giving any of these dudes my cash, however.

Oh sweet Disc Golf Mart, why did I ever forsake thee!?
I'm stickin with my pro shop here in Cbus from now on.
I learnt my lesson good.

On a positive, Play It Again Music down the street from Hazy is fantastic, and these two jokers could learn a thing or two from the salesman, Josh, at that shop. That place has a great used/vintage selection of guitars and amps.

Last edited:
If anyone knows if the Beardy, Grateful Deadish dude is NOT the owner, but knows who is, please let me know.
I'd write the owner, so long as it's actually going to get to someone with some sense.

$150, lol! A head shop near my house sells pro plastic for $20. I asked, why so much? He says, thats a reasonable price. I laughed, and walked out thinking this guy must be high. As I left I noticed the pipes and bongs and realized, he probably was high.

$150, lol! A head shop near my house sells pro plastic for $20. I asked, why so much? He says, thats a reasonable price. I laughed, and walked out thinking this guy must be high. As I left I noticed the pipes and bongs and realized, he probably was high.

Think you read me wrong there... I meant I was planning to spend $150ish there, for the basket, a Beast, and a ballcap.
They ended up gettin nothin'.
EDIT: whoops, thinkin' you must be referrin to the retail price comment... my bad.

Only other customers they got were two rough looking ladies in their late 40s early 50s looking to detox in a couple of hours.
they got better service than I did.

I don't have any problem that they list an item as in stock as long as it actually is in stock at the place they drop ship from. The rest of the treatment is complete and utter BS.

I don't have any problem that they list an item as in stock as long as it actually is in stock at the place they drop ship from. The rest of the treatment is complete and utter BS.

Me either, but most sites will actually point out that they do that.
It also makes sense to do that on heavy baskets. I understand a lot of places work this way with the M14. But the Traveller is only 13lbs.
And I was ultimately willing to buy the red, for the website price, and they refused.

I totally hear ya, and likely would have walked out way before you did. However, I've learned that, when I'm dealing with Mom and Pop, I'd better call before making a special trip to make sure. Been down that road too many times before and that's the only way to prevent it(and it STILL doesn't always work if you get some idiot on the phone who doesn't feel like walking to the floor to verify the stock).

And people wonder why the internet is killing the local guy.

I totally hear ya, and likely would have walked out way before you did. However, I've learned that, when I'm dealing with Mom and Pop, I'd better call before making a special trip to make sure. Been down that road too many times before and that's the only way to prevent it(and it STILL doesn't always work if you get some idiot on the phone who doesn't feel like walking to the floor to verify the stock).

And people wonder why the internet is killing the local guy.

Except that I was still willing to buy what they had, and the dude starts making stuff up. It clearly says free shipping on their site, and calculates without shipping as well...

I feel like the kid from 40 yr old version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNfvvAp63s

No. That wasn't the owner. The owner's name is Jeremy. He's a shorter, stockier fellow that doesn't sound like either of the guys you described. Although, I do know the two that you're talking about.

No. That wasn't the owner. The owner's name is Jeremy. He's a shorter, stockier fellow that doesn't sound like either of the guys you described. Although, I do know the two that you're talking about.

Cool, I send an email in.
Maybe Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum won't get to it first.
I was a retail manager for 6 years, and I know the incompetence you sometimes have to deal with, mainly because I often ended up on the other side of these kinds of complaints.
Its got to be rough to have a legitimate sports store AND a head shop mixed together and get help that isn't flaky...

Cool, I send an email in.
Maybe Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum won't get to it first.
I was a retail manager for 6 years, and I know the incompetence you sometimes have to deal with, mainly because I often ended up on the other side of these kinds of complaints.
Its got to be rough to have a legitimate sports store AND a head shop mixed together and get help that isn't flaky...

Some of the best service I've ever experienced was in head shops.

I don't understand why you keep assuming most head shops have terrible customer service.

Some of the best service I've ever experienced was in head shops.

I don't understand why you keep assuming most head shops have terrible customer service.

Me too, and I don't intend to bash head shops in general.
Cbus has some GREAT shops, as does Yellow Springs.
Usually they are falling over to give you all the product info and be friendly.

HOWEVER, you can't tell me you've never dealt with some toasty dudes at head shops that act like work is a four letter word, either... cause I sure have.
Skinny guy was all kinds of that dude.

Me too, and I don't intend to bash head shops in general.
Cbus has some GREAT shops, as does Yellow Springs.

HOWEVER, you can't tell me you've never dealt with some toasty dudes at head shops that act like work is a four letter word, either... cause I sure have.
Skinny guy was all kinds of that dude.

I know the kind of guy you're talking about, but truthfully, I've never had that experience at a head shop (not that I'm in them that often). Sucky service is a pain no matter where you're getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts