• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lessons from World Cup

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Even ESPN shoving it down our throats hasn't transformed soccer into a mainstream sport soooooo why would disc golf on ESPN be any different lol

I may be trolling but seriously :popcorn:

Soccer is infinitely more popular than disc golf. Participation wise it's the most popular sport in the US. Disc golf cannot hold soccer's jock in regards to popularity.

I think the WC brought some entertainment to some folks. I watched the US game yesterday just because it is a once in a 4 year event. As for DG it doesn't hold the same once in a 4 year thing as the WC nor is the interest as high as in the WC. Not bashing DG just being realistic. Will some folks start playing DG if they see it on ESPN? Most likely it will add some folks. Will it be watched as much as the WC? No.

I am all for getting new players to the game. As long as they dont slow me down on my local course :p

Soccer is infinitely more popular than disc golf. Participation wise it's the most popular sport in the US. Disc golf cannot hold soccer's jock in regards to popularity.

and yet it continues to fail despite media attempts to lead us down that path

why would anyone think disc golf on ESPN would be any different

the merits of growing the sport are vastly overrated...think your peaceful course being overrun with ignorant casuals, littering, breaking branches, throwing hi speed discs on 200 ft holes at parkgoers

if anything we need a movement to keep disc golf off of ESPN

I don't really care anymore if Disc Golf is on TV. I have enough Youtube coverage to keep me satisfied. Though TV would bring better coverage with more cameras, so yeah it would be cool to see more play but no biggie.

I would rather play than watch on tv. and soccer would be much better if you could use your hands, and tackle eachother.

I don't think ESPN is interested in forcing soccer it's a matter of realizing the public interest. I doubt soccer will ever surpass football in America but there are over 4M registered with USSF. Admittedly the majority of the registered soccer players are youth but still it's an indication of the relative interest.

If I looked it up correctly there are roughly 70K registered PDGA members. While this tremendous growth is encouraging DG has a long way to go to get the interest of major advertisers.

Viewership for the world cup has been high. 25 million people watched the US-Portugal game on espn. This was espn's highest rated event ever that wasn't an american football game. I would consider that a sign that soccer is getting popular in the United States.

I really enjoyed watching the World Cup games at lunch breaks and stuff over the last week or two. There was a huge fan rally in downtown Indy yesterday. I'd say the soccer fanbase in the US is growing.
For reference, I have never played an organized game of soccer, ever.

Agreed. Soccer has tons of financial backing, established pro league, youth is huge, yet they struggle to make it big in the US market. Disc Golf is recreational sport and always will be.

I think Americans are discovering soccer is another good excuse for "tribal" gatherings because the game doesn't distract from all of the chanting and partying.

Don't mean to take this down a rat hole but -- estimated 10+ M illegal soccer fans and growing daily.

Latest posts