• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lessons (hiring a pro)

I also think getting lessons from pros is a great idea. We have a new DG shop opening up here soon where some of our top pros will be offering lessons and I wouldn't hesitate to pay for their time assuming the pricing is reasonable. One hour of instruction from someone who knows what they're doing, can tell me what I'm doing wrong, and tell me how to fix it will be far more helpful than 10 hours of practice a week doing the wrong things.

And to the person who said "why take lessons if you aren't going to go pro and make money off of it" I feel like pointing out the immense amount of things people take lessons for without becoming a professional. Musical instruments? Art? Other sports? You take lessons because you want to improve, for your own sake, not because you want to make money at something.

Chris H.,

Have you ever given lessons, paid or unpaid, group or individual? How did you go about it?

(I'm not talking about on the spot lessons. Rather, scheduled lessons. I'm interested in trying to do that in my area. I'm not a pro, but I'm the best player in my town, and there are a bunch of new people playing (our town's course is about 3 years old, but a lot of people are starting to play).)

My apologies, I did not see your response.

I play Fountain Hills and Vista Del Camino. I play other courses here and there but those two are my favorites.

If you would like to meet on a Saturday afternoon at Los Olivos for a quick nine, that would be cool with me. I am fishing in the mountains this Saturday, maybe next Saturday or one coming up.

My score was better when I was driving FH but has sunk some since I am learning BH but my fun has increased. I am so happy to be learning how to drive and see my distance increase...

But this isn't about that.

Let's do Los Olivos, short nine and take it from there.

Cool?

Sure man, we will have to meet up sometime. I am going to try and drag my gf out to fountain hills this weekend (never been). I have ASU season tickets, so it will have to be a saturday that ASU does not have a home game. Where is Los Olivos? I mainly play Paseo Vista in Chandler because it is so close to home. I play vista del camino when I feel up for a little extra drive.

This is an excellent site to check out the different courses and how to get to them.

I'll check out Paseo Vista here as well.

And to the person who said "why take lessons if you aren't going to go pro and make money off of it" I feel like pointing out the immense amount of things people take lessons for without becoming a professional. Musical instruments? Art? Other sports? You take lessons because you want to improve, for your own sake, not because you want to make money at something.

My point as well.

I want to improve, it is something that we all have in common, even the naysayers.

Taking a lesson is a good way to do this.

I also buy discs when I can from the disc golf shop near the course. I believe in supporting the actual store front and the pro in the store. Mail order is fine for discs that you can't get from the shop but I'm spending my money on a disc that I can pick out myself and talk to someone about it.

Thanks for ringing in with that.

It's funny what this site can make you do. After reading this thread I decided to hit Dan up. I just got done playing a round with him at Vista. I asked him to give me some pro level instruction, help with my shot selection, and point out anything that seems amiss. He was incredibly helpful! The first time he coached me I was really new to the sport, so I think I may not have understood some of the things he was showing me. My game is in a whole new place and I think he geared his coaching to that. I'm really looking forward to my next tournament to put some things to work.

So basically want I am saying is that I don't think you will be disappointed. Just be sure to be open minded.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you have some ideas in what you would like to improve. I had no clue what I wanted he first time, other than to just get better. His go around I told him exactly where I thought I needed help.

8925b3b7.jpg

Nicely done.

He asked me how I gripped the disc and handed me one off the used rack. I took the disc and gripped it like I was going to throw it. He said I should try having my thumb more angled toward the center of the flight plate, just past the rim and then positioned my thumb as he wanted me to try it. He then took another disc and made the grip and explained to me how it was easier to keep the disc level through the throw and pointed to the muscles that it relieved.

The next Sunday, on a few drives, I threw the disc farther than I have ever thrown it BH. On the 18th hole, I sent it well past the tree in the center of the basin, the flight path curving around the right side and going well past it in line with the basket.

Whoa.

Granted, I am throwing farther all the time because I am now learning to throw off the tee this way instead of FH like I have been doing for the last couple of years. Imagine how it feels when you let one go and it flys beyond where you thought you were throwing it to and even in the same line.

I am super stoked.

I never gripped the disc like that before but I am now. Less than a minute of instruction.

Works for me.

Looks like it works for others too.

ddf30241.jpg

I find it hilarious that people say it's a rip off to get one on one lessons from people who actually know what they are doing and know how to teach you. Most people think that brand new driver/mid/putter is going to make their game better and don't have a second thought of spending $15 a pop sometimes ranging in the hundreds of dollars to find that magical disc that makes their rating move up 30 points. One on one private lessons ARE worth the money, buying every disc in the world when two or three will work if you know what you are doing is not worth the money.

So on point not even funny! Exactly what I did and then been lucky enough to have friends that are Advanced players who have helped me out! This game is not that easy!

(SIGH!) That is the prettiest disc golf hole I have ever seen. In Texas, in the courses I have played mind you, the grass NEVER looks like that...

As for you learning from a pro...if I had some spending lettuce, I would do it in a heartbeat...to learn everything from technique, strategy to the discs themselves...the guys at my PIAS are not the most helpful...

Actually, that is one of the most boring holes on the course in my opinion. Take a look at the photos for Fountain Hills, I took most of them where the grass is so green. I forwarded them to timg for uploading. The 6th 7th 8th and 9th holes, water and elevation come into play, those are some of my favorites. If you are in the area, it is worth the effort.

Lessons from pros are always worth it. This past friday I had about a half hour field session with Steve Rico and he's helped me clean up my form bigtime. It fell apart randomly somewhere and I lost 30-50' of distance and most of my accuracy and consistency.

Chris H.,

Have you ever given lessons, paid or unpaid, group or individual? How did you go about it?

(I'm not talking about on the spot lessons. Rather, scheduled lessons. I'm interested in trying to do that in my area. I'm not a pro, but I'm the best player in my town, and there are a bunch of new people playing (our town's course is about 3 years old, but a lot of people are starting to play).)

Yes I have. People usually contact me here or on one of our local sites. Sometimes they go quite well and sometimes they are a disaster. It's much easier to teach newer players than those who have developed poor habits that they don't intend to break.

I have recently had good results taking a lesson from a pro. I took a previous lesson about 6 months ago form a different pro, but the more recent lesson seemed to be more valuable. Even only 3 days later, I was able to apply the advice given and finally obtain an under par round on a course I've played 4+ times per week for months, and is the same course where I scored 15 over only 8 months ago. Anyone in the DFW area that wants good and affordable lessons, contact me and I will put you in touch with Bucky Garrett. He is a great coach.

Coach, check.

Really that is what it is. My group helps each other but "you are not keeping the disc level" just doesn't do it. You need more from someone that KNOWS the dynamics of teaching.

I am primarily after the lessons from someone that is teaching me to teach myself.

Learning to teach yourself.

Just got done with my lesson, pretty cool.

I have some tools to work with, to teach myself.

I also tipped him $20 (on top of lesson fee)

In a couple of weeks, we can get back to the video and talk about it and in a couple of months, a follow up lesson and then a round together. Apparently I am not the first person to take lessons...

I can honestly say now that I wished that I had taken lessons on day one of disc golf. It would have been a much better way to do it. The way I'm going about it is good but imagine if you could base day one in great form and build from there, wow.

For those that are reading that are new to disc golf, take a lesson if you can afford it, totally worth your time and $

Hiring a pro.

I'm from iowa and I am wondering how I can hire a pro to work with on my game as well.any info would be greatly appreciated.

May be an old thread, but I'm looking for a lesson or two around the Janesville WI area from a good teacher as well.

Skype maybe?

Would there be a way to make Skype work?

I don't know how I could get wifi over at the soccer field, but I could throw into a net in my basement. Of course you can't see the flight path, but maybe you could see enough of the body motion to make some suggestions?

Hudl Technique

This app (for smart phones) is amazing. You can compare 2 videos and voice over them, draw on the screen with lines, it's the best virtual coaching option out there.

online help, or central virginia help

I'm kind of stuck at a distance. I've watched the videos, done the drills, go to the soccer fields several times a week to do field work, but I haven't improved.

I'm not that computer literate (way past the digital divide, born in 53). Is there any way to take my smart phone to the field and have somebody coach me? I would pay, I pay for Skype trombone lessons now.

I expect to be a slow learner but not this slow. After a couple years I'm throwing Aviars 180 feet and Leopards 210. Did throw a couple 240 today, but that's my record.