• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's Discuss Disc Golf Podcasts

- Do you listen to disc golf podcasts? How often? If not, what's missing for you?
I don't really listen to podcasts at all. Just not much of a talk radio guy.
- Complete this sentence from your point of view: If I were to start listening to a new podcast, I would hope to hear/learn about _______________.
I guess how pros would play certain holes or game plan for certain courses, basic strategy and technique related stuff. For example one of my favorite things about the pros doing commentary on the Jomez, CCDG, etc vids is when Jerm or somebody starts talking about whether a certain hole plays more like a par 3 or 4, toughest par 3 to deuce, etc.

- Do you listen to disc golf podcasts? How often? If not, what's missing for you?

Yes. I listen to DGAM, Smashboxxx and have tried a few others.

- What length/publishing frequency do you like in (any) podcasts?

I like them to be at least half an hour long. Smashboxxx gets way too long sometimes, but in general, I listen to podcasts on my commute and don't like to have to change from one podcast to another.

- What do current disc golf podcasts do well in terms of format or content? Not so well?

I really like DGAM's vibe. The format I could take or leave (sent in questions), but I like to hear those guys talk about disc golf. I feel like they are more frank than Smashboxxx which I like.

I do not like how Smashboxxx is basically a live show and never edits its contents. For instance, if Paige Pierce doesn't give an interview, don't have her in the title and don't publish thirty minutes of wondering whether she will show up. That kind of makes sense for the live show, but not for the published podcast.

- What kinds of topics do you/would you like to hear discussed?

I like to hear news, drama, technique stuff, stories about TD'ing....anything fun and conversational about disc golf. One of the things that I think is a drawback of the current offerings is how the media outlets are so circumspect about drama/arguments. For major sports like the NFL, you get that stuff delivered to you easily.

- If a company or brand supports a podcast with giveaways and/or by buying ad slots, does that affect your opinion of that company/brand?

My interest in DD is much increased after listening to DGAM, if that's any indication.

- Complete this sentence from your point of view: If I were to start listening to a new podcast, I would hope to hear/learn about _______________.

Candid player experiences on tour

Hey DGCR!

I'm looking for some feedback on the current state of disc golf podcasts...for no reason at all whatsoever...I'm definitely not doing market research and planning. Definitely not.

Some questions to help kick things off, feel free to answer any or all of them, or just give in general comments:

I used to but I have since found better podcasts to listen to

I love long in depth podcasts, 3 hours long. Love it. The more content the better.

- What do current disc golf podcasts do well in terms of format or content? Not so well?
The format of Smashboxx is how it should be done.

Disc Golf obviously, more about their lives and it would be cool to see them talk about stuff that they enjoy doing and just have people talk and whatever rabbit hole comes up just go down it.

- If a company or brand supports a podcast with giveaways and/or by buying ad slots, does that affect your opinion of that company/brand?
Yes and no. Im more than likely not going to change any of my opinions about any disc golf company that advertises on podcasts. I know a lot about disc golf and your ad will not make me feel any kind of way. I don't care about giveaways since I have everything I already need for disc golf and if I want it I will support the company of my choosing with my money.

- Complete this sentence from your point of view: If I were to start listening to a new podcast, I would hope to hear/learn about _______________. A DGCR podcast would be cool where they choose popular/controversial threads and talk about them with different guests each week. But if the guests are nobodies then I wouldn't listen in.

Pretty much if you make a podcast like Joe Rogans, I would listen. If its anything like DGAM then I wouldnt even give you the time of day. Its too basic and beginner with PG-rated humor.

Thanks in advance!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Once they get about 5-15 min long, I might start subscribing to a few of them.

FYI. SmashBoxx (me, JonnyV) has just started a "less than 5 min" disc golf podcast. Literally just event results and any PDGA news. Tonight I am recording the 3rd episode. Check them out.

Lots of good info here. Obviously I have a stake in that I am half of SmashBoxx. Here are my thoughts on us, others, and what I would like.

I like my podcasts to usually be about an hour in length (no irony here). I currently listen to Upshot, DGAM, Dixon, And Final Round if they have an interesting guest. Each have their strengths.

I skip a large middle portion of DGAM because most of the questions revolve around the Ams, and it doesn't pertain to me personally. I want to hear about Bobby, Robert, & Emac more personally, but that isn't what their format is. Dixon breaks down events and scores better than anyone. And I think that SmashBoxx has the best interviews with the players (I am bias).

We are less than $100 away from our next Patreon Goal (shameless plug) which is another monthly podcast. A round table format that brings in different personalities to talk about relevant DG topics (not event results).

SmashBoxx has always avoided aligning ourselves with any 1 company because we want the editorial freedom to be able to call someone out if needed. And I think once you align yourself you lose some of that personal freedom and your integrity could be called into question.

And as I said in the last post. I just started a "just the facts" podcast that is under 5 min each week. And I have thoughts on 2 or 3 more podcasts that I would like to do if I can find the time.

I know that people complain about the length of our podcasts/live broadcasts. We kinda treat it like a morning drive time radio show for better or worse. Ultimately the disc golf portion is about 2/2.5 hours and then the aftershow is an hour or so.

Best of luck Jamie, let me know if you need any tech advice or help.

SmashBoxx has always avoided aligning ourselves with any 1 company because we want the editorial freedom to be able to call someone out if needed. And I think once you align yourself you lose some of that personal freedom and your integrity could be called into question.

:thmbup::thmbup:

FYI. SmashBoxx (me, JonnyV) has just started a "less than 5 min" disc golf podcast. Literally just event results and any PDGA news. Tonight I am recording the 3rd episode. Check them out.

Boom! Perfect, thx for the heads up.

i used to listen to DGAM and i will watch smasshbox on occasion, the upshot is good but i have not listened to it alot.

i dont listen to DGAM anymore because i like Robert mcalls perspective but i dont like his attitude on the podcast, he seems like he is trying too hard to be goofy

an hour or less is what i look for, and weekly is best.

i like the idea of DGAM but they rarely get new questions, if you listen to that show for a couple months you will hear 90% of all the questions asked, i like the laid back feel of smashboxx but that also leads to some unprofessional feel, the upshot is really good but their advertising is not very good i think they could do better if they did more to get people to listen to it

i like anything about disc golf, i would like to hear some more controversial stuff discussed because it seems disc golf avoids some of those topics to preserve the image of the sport, which is a good thing but avoiding certain topics is frustrating to me because i feel like i cant ask the questions i want

i throw mostly trilogy but that has nothing to do with DGAM

i would like more opinion/perspectives from the advanced/open players who arent touring pros, i am a very serious player but im still playing int for lack of experience and have learned more from people who are only slightly better. I would like to hear from people who have struggled or are struggling with some of the plateaus we face and how they got around them, in fact a lot of people on here have good opinions on that.

but i think the most important thing for a podcast comes from my favorite people to listen to, they all have a passion for the sport, and play often, i dont want to hear from people who dont play very much, and that ends up contradicting itself because the people who usually make podcasts are heavily involved in the sport but they dont play much

Last edited:

Smashboxx, after large/prominent events. I'll read the description of each podcast but really only listen to ones with interviews in them from the players.

1-hour, weekly. 2-3 hours is too long. I'd like a weekly recap of various events across the country, and how the top pros performed in them. I like the Prodigy social media posts that show how their sponsored players finished in different events for the week. Where was Will @ XXX? Oh, he and Dickerson were duking it out in TN, and here's how they finished. Doesn't need to be a 30-min rundown of each event, but the course with a brief description of it (if known), the TD's, the big names there and who took it down. That could be a 10-15min segment.

Since Smash is all I really listen to, they're the only ones I can comment on. I wish it didn't take so long to GET to the interview in a podcast. They could be 45min into the podcast before they start. I would move the interview more towards the front-end of the podcast.

Depends on the frequency of the podcast. When you do a podcast after each round of a Major, you've got to get into more specifics about it than you would a weekly podcast that might encompass several Tourneys from that week. If its after each round, discuss the play of most of the top players, and any odd outliers in score (Ricky got a 9??? - what happened there?, Aces, Eagles, etc.), the weather, the gallery size, the TDs, etc. If weekly, it should discuss more than one event, even if its just in passing.

Nope. Business. I don't blame anybody for promoting anything that helps anybody, unless it's at the exclusion of something else. JonnyV already mentioned wanting to maintain neutrality so they don't have to watch what they say about any company, which I like, but they're probably doing that at a direct hit to their own prosperity (assuming they could get a major company to sponsor).

How players approach practice rounds and shot selection for Tourney day. We get some glimpses of that in the post produced video with commentary "I practiced from down in this spot several times, so I knew the line I had to hit to get out of there". You can't get the visual on a podcast, but it could help a lot of people practice for their own upcoming events if they knew what went through the pros' minds when they map out a course.

Yes. Maybe 1 hour a week. The thing that's missing for me is content - there just seems to be a constant rehashing of talking points.

Bi-weekly would be fine, unless it's after a major event.

DGAM is good in terms of what they are trying to make it - but they seem to have the same questions and responses over and over again. I guess after 180+ episodes it might need a reboot of content. Smashboxx is way too unstructured for me, I can't watch it. They cover in 3-4 hours what could be easily covered in 1.

Pro Tour results and previews of the next stop, with maybe a recap of the previous year. I do like to hear things about equipment and courses, and sometimes from top Pros.

No.

The Pro Tour, new courses and equipment (from all companies) new concepts in rules development and regional tournament notes.

i like anything about disc golf, i would like to hear some more controversial stuff discussed because it seems disc golf avoids some of those topics to preserve the image of the sport, which is a good thing but avoiding certain topics is frustrating to me because i feel like i cant ask the questions i want

I completely agree. You phrased this better than I did.

Hey DGCR!
1 Do you listen to disc golf podcasts? How often? If not, what's missing for you?

2 What length/publishing frequency do you like in (any) podcasts?

3 What do current disc golf podcasts do well in terms of format or content? Not so well?

4 What kinds of topics do you/would you like to hear discussed?

5 If a company or brand supports a podcast with giveaways and/or by buying ad slots, does that affect your opinion of that company/brand?

6 Complete this sentence from your point of view: If I were to start listening to a new podcast, I would hope to hear/learn about _______________.

1) I have listened to one podcast years ago (Diggnation with Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht). I have listened to a few random disc golf podcasts and episodes (don't remember which ones). I like diggnation because of there personalities and how well they worked together.

2) I like consistency in terms of release of podcasts but prefer quality over content. If you only can make 20 minutes of content a week that fine. If you can only make content in the downtime between big tourneys that is cool too.

3) Haven't listened to much to it is hard to say

4) I would be curious about the daily lives/ touring lives and perspectives of all people involved. hearing from Manufacturers, sponsors, players, video crews, TDs are all people that would have different experiences and priorities throughout the season. I am also interested in these people outside of purely disc golf endeavors.

5) I don't care about ads and sponsors, it wouldn't bother me.

6)I would hope to learn more about what happens on tour outside of tourneys

I used to listen to Smashboxxx quite a bit but Terry's absolute reluctance to take a stance on any topic/issue wore thin on me. I'll give JVD credit as he will actually express an opinion, but Terry is so terrified of upsetting of any Pro that he refuses.

The last straw for me came one episode when they were discussing DD's new Patriot basket, and they were trying to come up with a way of portraying it as just as good as their top-of-the-line Veteran basket, at a lower price. It's not cheaper, it's "more cost effective" or some such gobbledegook. Good luck with that.

It has actually worked out very well.

I have never listened to a DG podcast.
I never know when they are being presented.
I have never seen a link to a podcast.
I have never seen a schedule for any of the podcasts.
Am I out of the loop or am I stuck in some kind of void?

I have never listened to a DG podcast.
I never know when they are being presented.
I have never seen a link to a podcast.
I have never seen a schedule for any of the podcasts.
Am I out of the loop or am I stuck in some kind of void?

For me, I find my podcasts on iTunes. And there are several from which to chose.
I highly recommend The Upshot (and that is not some way of brown-nosing JT, the newly added temporary co-host).

Latest posts