• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's have some fun - Grade your favorite touring pro's season!

JTacoma03

* Ace Member *
Hey everyone! Let's have some fun on a Friday. :hfive:

Pretty simple prompt - take your favorite touring professional disc golfer, and give their season performance a grade. There's no right or wrong answers here, just vigorous (and friendly) debate!

Grade them from your personal perspective/expectations of them, but do try to explain why. The only consideration I'll advise is try to judge based on high level events (Majors, NT's, and maybe good A-tiers). If we delve too far into B- and C- tier performances it might be too scattered to have a cohesive discussion.

So, disc golf fans, how did your favorite player do this year?

:popcorn::popcorn:

Paul McBeth - F. Failed to win Worlds

Ricky - A. Won Worlds.

Sexton - A. Won USDGC. No doubt the biggest payday in DG history.

Koling - A. Won on three continents in 2017. Developed a quality product with Sexton.

Hope the rest on tour had a fun year.

Leiviska - Not a big traveler but still gets out. Played 10 NT or A tier events this year and placed top 10 in every one of them. I may be biased as he is my favorite, but that gets an A from me.

Peter McBride- I thought maybe this would be the year he turned the corner and became the next MJ. It just didn't happen though. Some flashes of greatness but some disappointing finishes. I would give his season a C I suppose, was kind of just another season for him. Kid still has the prettiest 250'ish touch shot in the game in my opinion though. Here's hoping his breakout comes next season.

Ouch. Guy won a major, three NT events, the NT overall title, and had one finish outside the top 3 all year (and it was 4th). Oh, and he maintained the highest rating in the world with almost no variance from start of the year to present. Definitely an A performance.

I'd give Sexton an A for the win at USDGC, Ricky an A for Worlds and DGPT title, and Paige Pierce an A+ for 3 majors, a bunch of NT and DGPT wins, and both the NT and DGPT titles.

Everyone else a B at best.

Ricky - A. Won Worlds.

Sexton - A. Won USDGC. No doubt the biggest payday in DG history.

Koling - A. Won on three continents in 2017. Developed a quality product with Sexton.

Hope the rest on tour had a fun year.

Lol how high are you giving McBeth an F?

"Grade them from your personal perspective/expectations of them"

I expect him to win Worlds for a successful season. He's on the precipice of being widely regarded as the greatest of all time. Good winning records obv help back up the titles, but he needs that one win a year to seal the GOAT vote.

Philo- I'll give him a solid B. He has a great mindset, and his approach is a solid model for many players. He lacked the consistency to break through to the top tier of tour big pros, but had some wins in smaller events and a lot o good finishes.

JohnE- B+, near the top in everything except his rough USDGC, but that worlds run was epic. At his age he might not have many big runs left, but when he was healthy he was still a threat.

Mc Beast- A- this would probably be an A for anyone else, but no worlds or USDGC makes it a disappointment for Paul. He will be back on top of he's healthy for a full year I think.

Jen Allen- B, she still has a great game and Great power, but consistency kept her out of the top spot in big events. I think she has time left to put togheter another couple great years with some big wins though. Paige P is tough to beat.

Paige B- C didn't play that much this year, I think she has a great game but school is probably keeping her off the tour.

What about Simon. I give him a B just for being entertaining to watch. But dang, I wish he would get serious and win something big. I think he will eventually if he stays focused.

"Grade them from your personal perspective/expectations of them"

I expect him to win Worlds for a successful season. He's on the precipice of being widely regarded as the greatest of all time. Good winning records obv help back up the titles, but he needs that one win a year to seal the GOAT vote.

Okay Ricky Bobby

McBeth almost needs two grades.
He set the bar so high that you do almost feel he should be winning worlds to earn that A. He was less consistent this season.

On the other hand, he's obviously not 100% physically, and he spent a large part of the season using a totally different putting stroke. Oh, and then changed it mid-year. So to finish no worse than 4th in anything, if JC is accurate there, is remarkable.

What about Simon. I give him a B just for being entertaining to watch. But dang, I wish he would get serious and win something big. I think he will eventually if he stays focused.

He did well for coming back from injury. I'd give him a solid B.

McBeth, Wysocki and Pierce are clear A's IMO. Sexton did well too, I'll give him an A- for winning the USDGC. That might have been peak Sexton but that was a masterful tourney performance for him, no shame if so.

I was really impressed by the seasons Ulibarri, Barsby, and Conrad had. Uli seemed to be right there in a lot of tourneys, a good B- bounce back for him. Barsby and Conrad really seemed to break out this year, they were indomitable forces at times, B+ for them. Anthon, Doss, Koling, JohnE, and MJ did really well to represent the crafty vets, couldn't sleep on them. Brathwaite gets a B for continued, solid performance. I'd dish out some C+s for guys like Dickerson, Turner, Barela, and Eagle. The future is bright with those guys.

For the FPO there's not much to say other than all hail Paige Pierce, A+++. I thought Cat under performed but I'd still give her a solid B-. She just has to figure out how to not randomly roll OB into random OB on those ball golf courses and she'll be able to compete with Paige again. Jenkins-Doss was her usual competitive self, A- for her. I was most impressed with Weese as a MIP candidate. If she keeps working on equal competency with BH and FH she'll be a force to be reckoned with. She's at least a B+ in my book.

McBeth almost needs two grades.
He set the bar so high that you do almost feel he should be winning worlds to earn that A. He was less consistent this season.

On the other hand, he's obviously not 100% physically, and he spent a large part of the season using a totally different putting stroke. Oh, and then changed it mid-year. So to finish no worse than 4th in anything, if JC is accurate there, is remarkable.

There's no "if". His stats are on his PDGA profile page. The 4th place finish was at a 1-day B-tier. The following week was his one (and only ever) DNF due to back pain. Everything else was 3rd or better and it's not like his schedule was a bunch of fluff and local events...it was almost entirely Majors, NTs, and DGPTs. So he didn't win every event he played like he was doing a couple years ago, but top 3 every time strikes me as the model of consistency.

Just to contrast, Ricky had two fifth place finishes (an A-tier and an NT) and a 7th (European Open, a major). He had a couple more bigger wins, particularly head to head with Paul, which is about the only reason I'd say he had a better year overall.

Ditto. I'm getting sick of the "entertain the crowd" mentality and just want Simon to focus and win. I feel like he has the best potential, between the distance and putting, and if he works on the mental game he could move past Ricky and Paul. Maybe in a few years the maturity will kick in.

A+ Ricky... backed up his 2016 season with another great season.
-Leading money winner.
-Putting championship at GBO was legendary.

B_ Paul made it more interesting for Ricky.

Honorable Mentions... Conrad, Sexton, and Doss.

There's no "if". His stats are on his PDGA profile page. The 4th place finish was at a 1-day B-tier. The following week was his one (and only ever) DNF due to back pain. Everything else was 3rd or better and it's not like his schedule was a bunch of fluff and local events...it was almost entirely Majors, NTs, and DGPTs. So he didn't win every event he played like he was doing a couple years ago, but top 3 every time strikes me as the model of consistency.

Just to contrast, Ricky had two fifth place finishes (an A-tier and an NT) and a 7th (European Open, a major). He had a couple more bigger wins, particularly head to head with Paul, which is about the only reason I'd say he had a better year overall.

I only said if because I didn't go verify it myself. Had to leave myself the out, but I wasn't doubting your statement.

Ouch. Guy won a major, three NT events, the NT overall title, and had one finish outside the top 3 all year (and it was 4th). Oh, and he maintained the highest rating in the world with almost no variance from start of the year to present. Definitely an A performance.
BS was right to question your incorrect stats. GMC results read McBeth as 122nd place aka DFL, there's no "if' about that.
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/32553