• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's have some fun - Grade your favorite touring pro's season!

For breakout year I would consider Dickerson. Top 5 at Worlds, top 10 at USDGC, great finishes at Idlewild and PFDO, nice ratings jump (1034 rated now), he did however lack a statement win. Still this year I think he showed he is going to be in the mix for a long time to come.

...and right on cue, Dickerson tied with McBeth and MJ at -18 at Fall Colors (He and MJ both with a 1064 rated round (one of their two) today). Not sure this A Tier has the draw to be considered a statement win, but if he holds on tomorrow would certainly be a nice end to his season.

Favorite Player:

Paige Pierce
Played 28 FPO Events
Won 22 of those 28 events
78.5 winning percentage
3 Major Wins (including Worlds and USWDGC)
3rd in money earned, only behind Ricky and Paul (yep, not just in the women, third overall)

I'd give her an A+

Breakout player:

Chris Dickerson
Played 36 MPO Events
Won 16 out of those 36 events
44.5 Winning Percentage
4 A-Tier Wins (5th place finish at Worlds & Top 10 at USDGC)
7th in Money Earned This Season

Biggest Letdown:

Nikko Locastro
Played 31 MPO Events
Won 8 of those 31 Events
25.0 Winning Percentage
Only 1 A-Tier Win (St.Louis Open)
Zero top 10 Finishes at National Tour and Major Events
$14,256.65 in Earnings over 30 Events (Less than $500 per event)

Paul McBeth - B - top finishes with some solid wins, but lost some playoffs.

Nate Sexton - A+ - yes, that was the USDGC he solidly won, and kept Ricky at bay in the last round.

James Conrad would have to be my favorite pro, I give him an A for the season, continuing his steady improvement from last year with a disc golf pro tour win and a ton of lead card coverage.

Breakout year, I would go with a guy a little under the radar in AJ Risley. Maybe breakout is too strong of a word but he started the season as a 980ish golfer and climbed to 1007 while also finishing in the top 25 of the pro tour standings in his first year touring. He played a ton of great individual rounds and I think he puts them together for a bigger win sometime in the future.

Also Nate Sexton I think would categorize this year as a breakout year despite all his previous success. Getting over that hump and taking down USDGC was my favorite disc golf moment of the year after so many close calls and final round lead cards.

The disappointment of this year is again Ben Banbury. He sucks.

Last edited:
Breakout year, I would go with a guy a little under the radar in AJ Risley. Maybe breakout is too strong of a word but he started the season as a 980ish golfer and climbed to 1007 while also finishing in the top 25 of the pro tour standings in his first year touring. He played a ton of great individual rounds and I think he puts them together for a bigger win sometime in the future.

2017 was Risley's 5th year on tour.

I'm late to the party, but that's okay. My favorite player currently, is also the obvious choice for break-out player as well. James Conrad has been electric to watch. Normally it takes players a few years on tour before taking down big tournaments, but James won the CCR Open, the Des Moines Challenge, Idlewild Open, and placed very well in other large events. Got to give him an A.

As for disappointments, Catrina, Simon, Feldberg, Eagle, and Nikko all seemed to have trouble finding their groove. Simon and Feldberg were recovering from injuries, but I can't help but feel a little letdown by some of their finishes. JohnE McCray probably could have a had a much bigger season as well if it wasn't for his Lyme's flareups.

I'm late to the party, but that's okay. My favorite player currently, is also the obvious choice for break-out player as well. James Conrad has been electric to watch. Normally it takes players a few years on tour before taking down big tournaments, but James won the CCR Open, the Des Moines Challenge, Idlewild Open, and placed very well in other large events. Got to give him an A.

I am fortunate enough to have known James for quite a while- a nicer person you will not find.

I am fortunate enough to have known James for quite a while- a nicer person you will not find.

I didn't know who he was until this season. I'm like, who is this guy? I like how he commits to every shot. It looks like he puts all he has into drives especially. Some of this shots we just amazing to me since I did not know he existed. Never seen him lose his temper or look anything but professional and he also looks like he's having a blast being there.

I didn't know who he was until this season. I'm like, who is this guy? I like how he commits to every shot. It looks like he puts all he has into drives especially. Some of this shots we just amazing to me since I did not know he existed. Never seen him lose his temper or look anything but professional and he also looks like he's having a blast being there.

To me JC (Jesus Christ... err... I mean James Conrad) turned into maybe the best story of the year. He's catapulted himself into the 3rd best player in the world, all due respect to Sexton, who narrowly slides into 4th.

I think the Anthon story was extraordinarily compelling, however mediocre play after his triumphant win at Ledgestone has calmed the excitement.

To me JC (Jesus Christ... err... I mean James Conrad) turned into maybe the best story of the year. He's catapulted himself into the 3rd best player in the world, all due respect to Sexton, who narrowly slides into 4th.

I think the Anthon story was extraordinarily compelling, however mediocre play after his triumphant win at Ledgestone has calmed the excitement.

Not cool. Now every time I see him I'm gonna think about him walking on water. :D

Devan Owens - B. Couple of big time top 5s (Worlds, HoF classic) and some good top 10 finishes, but a few head scratching low finishes too. I don't think he's really hit his stride still, but I think he's building the groundwork for a breakthrough year soon.

Philo Brathwaite - B-. Good start to the season but I felt like he tailed off pretty hard in the big events in the second half.

underrated year - Nate Sexton. USDGC win *after* having his entire life changed with the first child. I think a lot of people still don't realize how amazing that really is - becoming a parent and keeping your level of play up is really hard.

under-performing year - it's been said, but Nikko. His first hole at the Memorial just kind of set the tone for the whole thing - out of it before he even got started.

breakout season - the obvious answer to me is James Conrad.

Last edited:
I should have said full time touring. When I spoke to AJ about it at the end he said that this year would be his first #fulltimetour after finishing up school responsibilities.

His most recent 4 part-time tours were more events than McBeth played in those years. AJ calls 2017 Full Time Tour, many would call nearly 40 events an Over Time Tour. He's an ironman.

As for disappointments, Catrina, Simon, Feldberg, Eagle, and Nikko all seemed to have trouble finding their groove. Simon and Feldberg were recovering from injuries, but I can't help but feel a little letdown by some of their finishes. JohnE McCray probably could have a had a much bigger season as well if it wasn't for his Lyme's flareups.

Simon and Eagle hit career high ratings this year. Eagle is at 1031 (previous high was 1026 last year) and Simon hit 1045 before dropping to 1041 (previous high was 1041 in 2015).

Simon and Eagle hit career high ratings this year. Eagle is at 1031 (previous high was 1026 last year) and Simon hit 1045 before dropping to 1041 (previous high was 1041 in 2015).

Excellent point, I guess it was disappointing to me as I would have liked to see one of them with a signature victory.

I guess I'm not as impressed with ratings as I am with bringing home the wins and being able to play in the clutch. As much as I like Simon and admire his skills...