• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Let's talk G-Star

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
It's been a while, from what I can glean the search function here, that there has been a good general discussion of G-Star here. (PreRube shudders in horror)

For me, I love it. The grip and flexibility are phenomenal. For the discs I've tried in the bag, Teebird, Katana, Roadrunner, Md3, FD, they just fly great out of the box. I haven't found durability to be a problem.

I live in Minnesota: in spite of an autumn that just won't end, the feel and grip of G-Star is just awesome as the mercury drops, as silky smooth as Kastaplast K1, even more than Lat 64 Gold Line.

What do you all think?

I have a ton of g* discs that I'll use in the winter. Nothing beats them in snowy conditions. They feel like regular star when the temps are below freezing. I don't mind them in summer though either. I've been bagging a couple g* Wraiths since July or August. My wife bags pretty much all g* drivers and does work with them. Last a long time too.

Yeah, I should've mentioned that too. I've only thrown g* drivers. I'm not opposed to trying mids/putters but just never have.

The only thing I don't like about G* is the colors are almost as bad as Discraft Ti. There was one run of G* valks I got a disc from that was orange with some fluorescence to it but otherwise they're usually non-fluorescent oranges and reds that look good in the hand but can be deceptively hard to find.

I like the feel the discs get as they beat in, they kind of get mashed and smashed but not chunked and rough. It's also a good compromise of better grip in our endless rain but a lot more durability than DX

I hate it. It is remarkable how a disc can be so sticky at 70 degrees plus, yet be so slick at 60 degrees and below. I've probably thrown a total of 50 shots with 10 different molds and I think every single one has either been yanked right because it didn't want to come out of my hand or early released.

I have a ton of g* discs that I'll use in the winter. Nothing beats them in snowy conditions. They feel like regular star when the temps are below freezing. I don't mind them in summer though either. I've been bagging a couple g* Wraiths since July or August. My wife bags pretty much all g* drivers and does work with them. Last a long time too.

Same here. I have two different bags. A summer bag (May - Halloween) and a winter one. There are a couple discs that stay in permanent like my putters but I swap the rest out come November. Almost all of my drivers are g*. Yep they're phenomenal winter discs. I have been doing this for around 10 or so seasons now so many of my g* are nice and seasoned. I'm in Michigan. It's a huge advantage in the cold weather IMO. Surprisingly I haven't lost that many of them, I tend not to play if the snow pack gets very deep which actually isn't as common up here as you'd might think.

In the summer time I take all those g* discs and put glow tape on them and they make up my separate glow bag.

They are also VERY good in the rain too.

I loove G-Star. I like being able to really dig into the plastic to grip it. I love the way they fly. I'd totally have an entire bag of G-Star, except that the colors are terrible. They're for the most part muted and limited in choices-- much like Titanium from Discraft...ok maybe not quite as bad as Titanium.

Give me some GStar in bright Teal and I'm in.

Yeah, I should've mentioned that too. I've only thrown g* drivers. I'm not opposed to trying mids/putters but just never have.

I use a g* roc3 in my winter bag, it's nice. They get even softer the more beat in they get which is money when it's really cold. I broke a few KC rocs in my early days before g* was a thing playing winter golf. Generally the seasoned ones would hit a tree on a cold day and split down the middle. That g* is unbreakable.

I really enjoy Gstar. Agree the colors are abysmal. Orange is probably the 'best', but the factory store mostly sends me blue seconds. There are certainly differences in runs. Discs I bought a few months ago (Boss, Corvette, TL) we're more gummy and scuff resistant. Recent discs (Wraiths, that free Destroyer) seem a little more like Pro and scuff easier? One cart path skip left a serrated edge, where some I've had a few months don't even notice those hits.

It's no more consistent than Star. Two wraiths: one is an s-curve bomber out of the box and the other won't turn. Neva kno what ya get. #Innova

I don't have a problem with G* really. I've had some discs I like in it, some that weren't so great as well but I don't think it was the plastics fault.

Two main issues, they seem to be not made in the molds that I like that often and the colors with a few exceptions are a big on the drab side.

To me it's like a better pro plastic, good glide, durability is decent but it's not flawless.

The only Innova plastic I bag is Champ though, so maybe biased?

Not a fan of it for drivers but actually like it for approach discs. Bagged a P2 and a Rhyno for a while. The grip is great for touchy approaches or for really cranking a putter for distance and the things settle on the landing like base plastic but don't get beat up as quickly. All of the g-star I've had has been yellow, orange, or red so I haven't had any issues with the colors like some of you have mentioned.

With it being 30ºf our. For my hands, I don't like the feel of hard, scuffed up plastic. So, my winter / cold season bag is all g-star, and there are usually several in my bag all year long for molds I bag several of as the stable to neutral, and also less skippy choice. Some of the colors are harder to find. Like on my Leopard3, and Aviar p&a. But most of them stick out, and some of them do have florescence, so they really pop.

Hate it, you boys up north can have mine.

Played Friday and it was almost 80°, played yesterday and it was over 70°. This time last year I was in the middle of a 90 day cleanup of the worst ice storm in our history, from the end of October. Gotta love Oklahoma.

Hate it, you boys up north can have mine.

Played Friday and it was almost 80°, played yesterday and it was over 70°. This time last year I was in the middle of a 90 day cleanup of the worst ice storm in our history, from the end of October. Gotta love Oklahoma.

Can I pm my address, haha!

G* is good plastic. The only thing that really seems to turn people off to it is the gummy/soft feel. For drivers I don't mind it, but for mids I prefer stiffer plastic.

G* Shrykes, Corvettes, and Katanas are among the longest drivers you'll find anywhere.

G* itself has good flight characteristics. The discs tend to fly pretty true to the numbers. Durability is also very good. I've never really seen a G* disc wear out and become too flippy. I have occasionally seen them warp, though.

Yeah. I don't really like gummy or soft plastic. I don't really like Pro either. I bag either Champion or DX if I'm throwing Innova. I like Z plastic for Discraft, but I hate the Z Flx stuff.

G* Distance drivers seem to wear in pretty quick without showing much physical difference in the plastic. Traded in the higher speed stuff I had (wraith/krait) because of this. Roc3 also got a bit unreliable after a few tree hits and the flat CD2 lost a bit of stability. The flexibility of the plastic probably exaggerates any off axis torque & nose angles of higher speed releases.

I do like the Teebird, Firebird, VRoc, Aviar P&A, Aviar Driver, P2, Rhyno, Mortar (frontline-x), and FD. I tend to disc & power down in colder weather and not play with a full bag so this setup works fine.

Only experience I have is with a Red G* Thunderbird but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's been between 30-50 degrees here in Indiana and it feels good at those temps. The disc itself flies pretty close to my DX Thunderbird so I'm planning to throw that back in next spring/summer

Latest posts