• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner, where would you start?

sddabrow

Bogey Member
Hey guys,

Brand new to the site but have been playing DG for about 6 months now. When I first learned of the sport I tried back hand and threw my shoulder out by not having proper form and just being reckless. I then went to forehand to still be able to play, but have been lucky to get 250' with forehand shots.

I now decided to try back hand again as I feel like my forehand form is lacking and cannot get my body into the throw. So what I want to ask is before I get into any bad habits, where would you start with video wise? Is there 1 specific video you would follow first and foremost over all the videos? One of the ones I started with was the Paul McBeth.. at the very end he shows how to do a stand still throw to work towards X-Step. This technique has enabled me to throw right around 225' - 250' back hand (have gone out twice to practice). Granted, my shoulder still does get very sore so I have a feeling I am strong arming it still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gzNIRxRbY look at 14:15 time.

Please let me know where you guys would start with videos and training. I hope to have a critique video of myself up next weekend.

Here are my discs for reference:
Lat 64 Diamond - 146g - Super under-stable, turns over now back hand.
X-Stratus - Very beat in and under-stable, also turns over.
Buzzz - Haven't figured out the Buzz yet, I seem to grip lock back hand.
Panther - 165g - Seems to be my best back hand starting off disc for 225'
KC Pro Roc
Pro Leopard
Inspire
QJLS
Champ Roadrunner - Furthest disc for me so far, might have gotten it out to 275' once.
Pro Valk
DX Valk
Champ Thunderbird
Champ Firebird
Blizz Wraith
Champ Wraith
Inertia
Star Orc
Sword
Star Destroyer

I have been trying to stay around the Panther & Leopard for form and staying below the Valk in terms of stability. I know the over-stable stuff just won't work with my noodle arm. I bought most of these to work with forehand and for various wind conditions.

Also, I definitely need to work on footwork. As soon as I try an X step or any type of walk/run up I don't throw it near as far as my single step from the video above.

Any insight as to where you would start to not develop bad form would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to this forum, thanks guys.

OK first off STOP THROWING SO MANY DISCS! most of those discs you throw you aren't good enough yet to use, trust me I've been there. Just throw the Leopard and maybe a putter for a while. For videos and articles go here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

Then follow the links one by one.

*edit* Welcome to the site, enjoy! :)

Last edited:
I'd work with the mids (stratus, panther, Buzzz, Roc especially) and mellow fairway drivers like Leopard and Diamond.

Discs don't flip over properly until you're throwing them ~250' for mids and ~300' for fairway drivers...as a general statement but each disc and plastic and wear is different. My point is, you are yanking/torquing the discs, and not turning them over due to release speed. Keep working with those ones (and putters if you have them) to try to get straight flights, it will help.

Read those articles that were posted, and post some video if you want a critique when you're ready.

Don't be worried to ditch the X-step for now, throwing from standstill will get you good distance with better aim, and teach you consistency with your body motions. The X-step should be an addition to the fundamental throw, and it should not be a "need" to throw well.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely keeping only a few discs in the bag now that I am going back hand. Interesting thought on the yanking. I'll have to post a video, since the only one I really turn over is the Diamond. I thought it was just because it is super light weight and I can bend the disc in half very easy, with just two fingers so thought it was just super super unstable. The Stratus is similar in that you can ultimately bend the disc without any effort. I'll definitely keep throwing the Panther and Leopard as I do not turn them over at all and they still hyzer out at the end of the flight.

Thanks again for those videos. I think the right pec drill is something I need to try.

Latest posts