• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tech Disc: Useful for HORRIBLE throwers

Tech Disc is fine for "horrible throwers" (though if you're horrible there are easier ways to fix things) if those horrible throwers understand throwing. It's probably not very useful, and maybe hurtful, for people who don't understand the basics of throwing. I also know very good throwers who shouldn't use Tech Disc, because they are good at throwing but wouldn't really understand the basics of throwing in data or speech. They just figured out how to throw reasonably well.

OT: Addressing ru4por, what exactly do you mean by "neutral mid"? Stable (vs. Under & Over stable) discs with small Fade & Turn values? This is important, because MAYBE throwing all of my discs during practice might be hurting me because of their different flight characteristics. So maybe I just need to practice with certain ones?

Accept that the Mamba & certain other discs could be masking bad throwing habits. (Fairly certain that my MVP Volts were doing the same when I started.)

Using a net: Tech Disc suggests it, but if I'm practicing, I need feedback. Throwing down field, get to watch the flight path. Practiced with a net once, and there was some feedback when using it. Bottom Line, No Tech Disc, no spending $$$ on a net.

A general issue with the way we talk about "stability" in discs.

Neutral is the correct term people should be using for "stable"

Neutral is essentially straight flying discs when thrown properly. But usually when they are overpowered they turn into rollers or burn somehow.

Dude it's 37$ for the net I got. Put it up in my spare living room. I practice footwork, form, angles into my net everyday. Just doing the footwork and actually being able to throw the disc is so powerful, and you don't have to chase it. Get the footwork and form right at home and you'll look so much better in the field!

Net always for the win.

What the disc does only distracts you from trying to do better with your form, cause you're trying to compensate for all the wrong things.

Do I need to make a short video on this too? hahaha.

Nets will improve your practice significantly, because it allows you to focus purely on your form, vs worrying about picking up discs, and where the discs are flying. That way who cares what the disc does, you're trying to put in reps, not worry about where the disc flys.

I agree with you that a net is useless without Tech Disc if you're just going to throw into it and nothing else. You'll probably just end up reinforcing bad habits or creating new ones. You need the net PLUS getting video of your form. That's the quickest way to wholesale changes in your form.

Throw into the net while taping your form.
Review your taped form (or have someone else review it).
Identify changes needed.
Work on those changes while taping it.
Repeat.

You can do the same thing without a net and videotaping yourself throwing. That's just a lot less efficient because it requires being outside when conditions might not be great, and then going and picking up your discs.

If you want to make real changes to your form though, there's almost no getting around the act of taping yourself (or having someone else tape you) to see how you actually throw.

OT: Addressing ru4por, what exactly do you mean by "neutral mid"? Stable (vs. Under & Over stable) discs with small Fade & Turn values? This is important, because MAYBE throwing all of my discs during practice might be hurting me because of their different flight characteristics. So maybe I just need to practice with certain ones?

Accept that the Mamba & certain other discs could be masking bad throwing habits. (Fairly certain that my MVP Volts were doing the same when I started.)

Using a net: Tech Disc suggests it, but if I'm practicing, I need feedback. Throwing down field, get to watch the flight path. Practiced with a net once, and there was some feedback when using it. Bottom Line, No Tech Disc, no spending $$$ on a net.
Yes. Though numbers are not the be all, end all.

I think you have heard a few suggestions on this already. Mako3, Uplink, Sol. I might add Comet and yes...the evil Buzzz SS. They all have minimal fade and turn. Generally, if you release these with hyzer, they will fade. If you are forcing the disc over [off axis torque] the disc will turn. A clean, flat, smooth release and most of these disc will glide and go.

This concept has been my disagreement with beginners and light weight disc, as well. Build your foundation and add tricks from there. The journey to proficiency can be a blast. Find a way to make it fun. Going outside and watching discs soar, has always been a huge part of my joy.

I just don't think there is a substitute for getting outside and throwing plastic circles. You get immediate and accurate feedback.

Last edited:
Thanks Thereitgoestoday & everyone else who replied. Apologies for sidetracking this thread at the get go, by mentioning specific discs.

Researching Tech Disc is was time well spent. Learned the following from all of the videos,
  • What is the Hyzer Angle? And what are good values. (My #1 enemy, because just watching my throws, it's 45 degrees ... at least.)
  • Nose angle.
  • Launch angle.
  • Spin speed.
  • STOP throwing at full force, and throw slower by with better technique.
  • Getting 1:1 instruction or attend some other form of live training.
Going into this year, I was already resolute on spending MUCH MORE time on technique, vs. the courses. Was HOPING that Tech Disc would have help with the technique; it probably will, but not now.
How far do you throw?

Thanks Thereitgoestoday & everyone else who replied. Apologies for sidetracking this thread at the get go, by mentioning specific discs.

Researching Tech Disc is was time well spent. Learned the following from all of the videos,
  • What is the Hyzer Angle? And what are good values. (My #1 enemy, because just watching my throws, it's 45 degrees ... at least.)
  • Nose angle.
  • Launch angle.
  • Spin speed.
  • STOP throwing at full force, and throw slower by with better technique.
  • Getting 1:1 instruction or attend some other form of live training.
Going into this year, I was already resolute on spending MUCH MORE time on technique, vs. the courses. Was HOPING that Tech Disc would have help with the technique; it probably will, but not now.
I have played since April 2023. I think the best tool for me, free, is recording my throws and actually seeing what I am doing, versus what I thought I was doing. Video yourself, and compare it to free videos online of people teaching DG. Then figure out your worst issue, and fix it. Then the next worst issue, and fix it. Rinse and repeat. If you have the money, and want to, then hire a coach - probably the best way to improve fast, but cost of lessons can add up fast.

I agree with you that a net is useless without Tech Disc if you're just going to throw into it and nothing else. You'll probably just end up reinforcing bad habits or creating new ones. You need the net PLUS getting video of your form. That's the quickest way to wholesale changes in your form.

Review your taped form (or have someone else review it).
Identify changes needed.
Work on those changes while taping it.
Repeat.

You can do the same thing without a net and videotaping yourself throwing. That's just a lot less efficient because it requires being outside when conditions might not be great, and then going and picking up your discs.

If you want to make real changes to your form though, there's almost no getting around the act of taping yourself (or having someone else tape you) to see how you actually throw.

The net is not useless. I setup my iPad, 2 iPhones. 1 from the side, 1 from the behind angle, 1 in front that I'm throwing towards. I still do fieldwork 7 days a week as well. Actually with tech disc, you don't have to have a net, it can be thrown in the field just like you would every other time! With the net, it can be raining, storming, hailing, snowing, etc and you can be throwing. You can throw butt ass naked, naked as a jay bird, and constantly be working on form. Always remember form is
Fix
Or
Repair
Monthly

And if your not, your loosing ground!!

Attachments

• IMG_0717.png
    IMG_0717.png
    5 MB · Views: 0
Mamba, Orbital and Sapphire are some of the flippiest discs out there. Never thrown a Crave. Those are discs I throw because my form sucks and I don't care to do anything about it :p

I have no idea what TECH disc is though either.

Mamba and Sapphire are definietly not as flippy as the numbers suggest. My halo sapphires were more stable than my Saints lol.

The net is not useless. I setup my iPad, 2 iPhones. 1 from the side, 1 from the behind angle, 1 in front that I'm throwing towards. I still do fieldwork 7 days a week as well. Actually with tech disc, you don't have to have a net, it can be thrown in the field just like you would every other time! With the net, it can be raining, storming, hailing, snowing, etc and you can be throwing. You can throw butt ass naked, naked as a jay bird, and constantly be working on form. Always remember form is
Fix
Or
Repair
Monthly

And if your not, your loosing ground!!
I said the net is useless for him if he's just throwing into the net "and nothing else". Taping yourself negates "nothing else" which is why I suggested he get the net and then tape himself while using it.

I said the net is useless for him if he's just throwing into the net "and nothing else". Taping yourself negates "nothing else" which is why I suggested he get the net and then tape himself while using it.

I hear ya! Deep down, in the grand scheme of things, there's no right of wrong way to practice, unless we're talking about Allen Iverson

Mamba and Sapphire are definietly not as flippy as the numbers suggest. My halo sapphires were more stable than my Saints lol.
My 5 Mambas are all super flippy - I bag one for a roller disc. My buddy has one Mamba that is not flippy. But, I only have one Sapphire, and that thing is a meat hook. Left every time. I have one Saint, and it is slightly over stable. Some discs really match their numbers - some just don't! I got at least 4-5 Roadrunners. They vary from neutral to slightly under stable, but like a -1 or -2 turn…. Not even close to their -4 turn number.

My 5 Mambas are all super flippy - I bag one for a roller disc. My buddy has one Mamba that is not flippy. But, I only have one Sapphire, and that thing is a meat hook. Left every time. I have one Saint, and it is slightly over stable. Some discs really match their numbers - some just don't! I got at least 4-5 Roadrunners. They vary from neutral to slightly under stable, but like a -1 or -2 turn…. Not even close to their -4 turn number.
The flight numbers get you in the ballpark at best. There's a ton of variation (as far as I can tell, regardless of manufacturer) in flight for a given mold.

Disc golfers have been complaining about it for as long as I've been around dg. Best to just treat it as a feature instead of a problem: I get a stack of discs that feel the same in the hand (same mold/plastic/weight) and cover a few different lines.

This thread is getting quite a bit OT, so let me try to tie a few things together:

Tech Disc (main topic of this threads): After reading everyone's responses & digesting them, DEFINITELY getting one (mid range or control driver) ... but months from now, or further out. The standard deviation values on the metrics are going to be much too high, given my poor form.

How to Practice Throwing: Been focusing on throwing for distance; no more. New focus will be on,
  • Disc flight being level & straight. (Starting to make the case of Tech Disc again, which can simulate the flight path.)
  • STOP trying to throw full power, and focus on smooth, deliberate execution (e.g. foot work, disc starting position, release point, etc. etc.)
  • Maybe pull out the camera with the ultrawide lens, and video both my throwing & the flight path.
ru4por mentioned 'neutral' which translates to 'stable'. Applying that, means I should practice ONLY with the stable discs ... including putters?

Nets: See that they are people both pro & con. One person made the price argument ($37?). I was looking at this
$120 7x7 net. That was months ago, after I used one for training. Shot the idea down then, because,
  1. Practicing solo, MUST have some sort of feedback on what I'm doing.
  2. Main reason that I took up Disc Golf, was encouragement to walk more. (Little did I realize how much fun it would be.) The net takes part away.
  3. Arm & back pain limit my practice sessions, not walking.
  4. Would I EVER get a net? When I get the Tech Disc, argument #1 is removed, so maybe.
The fact that I squirreled the link to the Visionary Disc Golf web site, indicates that I'm still thinking net, long term.

Responding to ChrisinFL, only starting measuring the actual distance of my throws this month. 100' seems to be typical, but I know that I have thrown over 150' (still sucks). But the responses to this thread have made me rethink that; distance will come, after the mechanics improve.

Last edited:
The flight numbers get you in the ballpark at best. There's a ton of variation (as far as I can tell, regardless of manufacturer) in flight for a given mold.

Disc golfers have been complaining about it for as long as I've been around dg. Best to just treat it as a feature instead of a problem: I get a stack of discs that feel the same in the hand (same mold/plastic/weight) and cover a few different lines.
Yup.

This thread is getting quite a bit OT, so let me try to tie a few things together:

Tech Disc (main topic of this threads): After reading everyone's responses & digesting them, DEFINITELY getting one (mid range or control driver) ... but months from now, or further out. The standard deviation values on the metrics are going to be much too high, given my poor form.

How to Practice Throwing: Been focusing on throwing for distance; no more. New focus will be on,
  • Disc flight being level & straight. (Starting to make the case of Tech Disc again, which can simulate the flight path.)
  • STOP trying to throw full power, and focus on smooth, deliberate execution (e.g. foot work, disc starting position, release point, etc. etc.)
  • Maybe pull out the camera with the ultrawide lens, and video both my throwing & the flight path.
ru4por mentioned 'neutral' which translates to 'stable'. Applying that, means I should practice ONLY with the stable discs ... including putters?

Nets: See that they are people both pro & con. One person made the price argument ($37?). I was looking at this
$120 7x7 net. That was months ago, after I used one for training. Shot the idea down then, because,
  2. Main reason that I took up Disc Golf, was encouragement to walk more. (Little did I realize how much fun it would be.) The net takes part away.
  4. Would I EVER get a net? When I get the Tech Disc, argument #1 is removed, so maybe.
The fact that I squirreled the link to the Visionary Disc Golf web site, indicates that I'm still thinking net, long term.

Responding to ChrisinFL, only starting measuring the actual distance of my throws this month. 100' seems to be typical, but I know that I have thrown over 150' (still sucks). But the responses to this thread have made me rethink that; distance will come, after the mechanics improve.
I started there. Then gradually 150'. Then 175'. Then 200'. Now 250' my normal long, with a rare 275'. I have got a Mamba I use for rollers that can get close to 300' on a lucky roll, but it is not super consistent. Where you are, I found video of my throw, then watch video of good throws, study and compare, fix one thing at a time, was the magic pill. Plus, you will make gains as you get used to throwing, develop muscle memory, get better at your form, yes, but also as your form gets settled in, you can do it faster. But, yes, trying to throw too fast too soon is just a disaster. For me, that throwing speed is more of a gradual transition over time, same as improving my form. My favorite disc then was a 158g Latitude 64 Diamond. It liked to go straight, with nice glide. I got 5 of them, and threw, and threw, and threw. Also, at that distance, personally, I don't think you need any heavy weight drivers. Doing it again, I would like to discover the light weight Tern sooner - about 145-150g. Speed to disc eventually correlates to distance. For drivers, lighter discs are easier to get up to speed. You are probably throwing almost all arm, and need to learn to transition body speed to the disc - something I still struggle with. Enjoy the journey, and I would skip the tech disc for now, and you and a buddy video each other. If you don't have one, meet them out on the course - it is easy to talk to other DGers - you have a common interest! My son and I have a regular 4-some with two different guys, both that I met playing DG, brought us all together once, and we been playing as 4-some every Friday since. One of them I play with a second time most weeks. My son and I video each other every so often, I find my worst issue, and work on fixing it. Heck, at 100-150', I think I was shocked to see that I was rounding my throws every time - I would have sworn I wasn't, but the video didn't lie!!! I was starting my throw too soon - before I set my plant foot. Was not getting enough reach back, or shoulder turn. Fixed so many things since then - all from finding my errors on video, and trying to fix one by one.

Lol, ya threads sometimes get a little bit derailed here, but I think its only because people just love talking about disc golf here.

Being honest, reading through your replies, I think I'd personally hold off on the techdisc. I know that it isn't a mutually exclusive choice, because you want to get better form from a techdisc to be able to throw discs for real, but...man, its fun to just learn by throwing real discs. I don't think I would have enjoyed throwing a techdisc with my beginner form, but I absolutely did enjoy throwing real discs poorly.

But to answer your question, it could potentially be useful. I'm definitely not saying you couldn't use it and progress, I just think you are at the stage where your learning should be truly fun, not grinding out the minutia of perfect form :)

I'm proud of you, Slickered! At the end of any day, the disc only goes where you throw it. Disc up, throw it, run after it, throw it again. Your next shot is going in, eventually you're right!!

Attachments

• IMG_0164.png
    IMG_0164.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
ChrisinFL, think you are right:
  1. Practice, with the intent of getting a good-looking disc flight, and video me & the disc's flight. (And if it doesn't work, just video myself & note which throws looked & which ones would have had uttering profanities when on the course.)
  2. Fix one thing at time, not every mistake in the video.
RowingBoats:
  • You are right that training should be fun. Hence the need to get some walking in, vs. throwing into a net. BUT I disagree about using Tech Disc NOT being fun; quite the opposite. Tons of metrics for me to analyze, and simulation videos to watch? Could be more fun that playing computer games. But also the problem: "Let's have fun with the new toy," vs. using it to improve.
  • Still kicking myself for mentioning the Buzzz SS. Been using forums since the 1990's, and the rule is: Keep you question clear & simple. Violated that rule big time.

I hear ya! Deep down, in the grand scheme of things, there's no right of wrong way to practice, unless we're talking about Allen Iverson
Oh there are definitely wrong ways to practice.

Though, you can also definitely say there is no right way to practice.