• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who is Using Tech Disc and is it Accurate?

All the fighting about what I was saying.

Then everyone rolls in that argued with me saying exactly what I was saying the whole time....

I can't even....

All the fighting about what I was saying.

Then everyone rolls in that argued with me saying exactly what I was saying the whole time....

I can't even....
You were arguing about metrics. Metrics and the flight simulator are not the same thing even though you kept trying to use them interchangeably.

You were arguing about metrics. Metrics and the flight simulator are not the same thing even though you kept trying to use them interchangeably.

I was arguing about everything that everyone just said in the last like 10 posts in here.

I just probably articulated it differently, thus resulting in unwillingness to understand.

For me it's the main character energy.

I tend to skim, roll my eyes, and move on—apologies if we've repeated something you said.

I was arguing about everything that everyone just said in the last like 10 posts in here.

I just probably articulated it differently, thus resulting in unwillingness to understand.
You repeatedly talked about chasing the metrics. The flight simulator isn't the metrics. I'm genuinely curious, have you used Tech Disc?

You repeatedly talked about chasing the metrics. The flight simulator isn't the metrics. I'm genuinely curious, have you used Tech Disc?

It sounds more like you choose to miss understand what I was saying.

Ya'll carry on. I'ma just sit in the corner and laugh at read at this point.

It sounds more like you choose to miss understand what I was saying.

Ya'll carry on. I'ma just sit in the corner and laugh at read at this point.
I gotta say, there's a slight admiration for the fact that you don't let a complete lack of experience or knowledge keep you from having a strong opinion on something.

I gotta say, there's a slight admiration for the fact that you don't let a complete lack of experience or knowledge keep you from having a strong opinion on something.
That's the funniest thing I've read all day and I'll start to use that phrase some more.. just in general..

The chasing numbers posts are becoming more and more numerous.

I just wanna comment on these threads on reddit and other places on facebook.

"Cool, so who's working with you on your form?"

Because the numbers they are reporting are definitely form issues.

I would like to know how accurate it is as well. I can't seem able to get my launch angle up no matter how hard I try. I would love to compare mine with someone else's.

The chasing numbers posts are becoming more and more numerous.

People have been chasing numbers forever. Sports and data go hand in hand, and measurable improvements are a key part of athletic development.

Disc golfers have always chased distance, TechDisc just gives us a way to track another number we've always been chasing—speed. I'll say it again: more data isn't a bad thing. Does this mean TechDisc will magically make your form better? No. Could it be a helpful tool along that journey? Certainly.

I just wanna comment on these threads on reddit and other places on facebook.

"Cool, so who's working with you on your form?"

Because the numbers they are reporting are definitely form issues.

Do you think people get TechDisc because they don't want to work on their form?

Humans learn in a lot of different ways. The closest thing I had to a regular form coach was Sidewinder and HUB—these forums. Early on, I would have loved anything that could give me more data on my practice.

_

Do you think that TechDisc shouldn't be used? Do you think people are relying on it too heavily? If so—are you sure that's a real problem somewhere?

People have been chasing numbers forever. Sports and data go hand in hand, and measurable improvements are a key part of athletic development.

Disc golfers have always chased distance, TechDisc just gives us a way to track another number we've always been chasing—speed. I'll say it again: more data isn't a bad thing. Does this mean TechDisc will magically make your form better? No. Could it be a helpful tool along that journey? Certainly.

Do you think people get TechDisc because they don't want to work on their form?

Humans learn in a lot of different ways. The closest thing I had to a regular form coach was Sidewinder and HUB—these forums. Early on, I would have loved anything that could give me more data on my practice.

_

Do you think that TechDisc shouldn't be used? Do you think people are relying on it too heavily? If so—are you sure that's a real problem somewhere?

I've yet to see a post anywhere that says "Tech disc is giving me this information, this is a video of my form while I'm getting this data, what do I need to do to correct these numbers?"

It's all posts about how they are trying to get the tech disc to give them data.
Okay, How are you doing it?
Do you know that yo'ure making proper changes? are you just trying to yeet harder? Are you making changes that might injure you?

The data is great, but there is a difference between chasing data, and chasing how you create that data.

And I'm seeing "chasing data" not people looking for more information on how they can improve the data.

I haven't really seen enough posts about how people are using their Tech Disc to have any real-world opinion, but philosophically I think both of y'all are right. Its not a black/white mutually exclusive discussion.

I feel like, for someone who has developed reasonably clean form, 'chasing numbers' is almost the precise reason tech disc data would be cool. That is why I personally want one lol. I think I have a good sense of what a non injurious swing requires, and I want to f*** around with minor details and see what it does to the data. There are small things that I am not totally consistent on that I theorize I might be able to grind out that way. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems plausible.

I also feel like there is a point to be made for brand new players building basic form and over utilizing the tech disc. Is this a real thing happening? I donno, probably. But its definitely something that I don't mind someone warning others about because I can see some serious injury potential for quite a few reasons if you went too hard down the 'wing it' and check out the numbers path without knowing enough. A major one being that throwing into a net with bad form is fast enough to do a whole lot of bad reps in a short time. Its worth discussing why thats a bad idea imo.

I don't think anyone is really arguing about these takes though. I think the only disagreement is the prevalence of behaviors, and honestly I don't really care what other people do, I just hope they don't hurt themselves!

I haven't really seen enough posts about how people are using their Tech Disc to have any real-world opinion, but philosophically I think both of y'all are right. Its not a black/white mutually exclusive discussion.

I feel like, for someone who has developed reasonably clean form, 'chasing numbers' is almost the precise reason tech disc data would be cool. That is why I personally want one lol. I think I have a good sense of what a non injurious swing requires, and I want to f*** around with minor details and see what it does to the data. There are small things that I am not totally consistent on that I theorize I might be able to grind out that way. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems plausible.

I also feel like there is a point to be made for brand new players building basic form and over utilizing the tech disc. Is this a real thing happening? I donno, probably. But its definitely something that I don't mind someone warning others about because I can see some serious injury potential for quite a few reasons if you went too hard down the 'wing it' and check out the numbers path without knowing enough. A major one being that throwing into a net with bad form is fast enough to do a whole lot of bad reps in a short time. Its worth discussing why thats a bad idea imo.

I don't think anyone is really arguing about these takes though. I think the only disagreement is the prevalence of behaviors, and honestly I don't really care what other people do, I just hope they don't hurt themselves!

I think that's a really nice clean wrap up of all we are saying.

I am around and about probably a few more places seeing this stuff though too.

It's not egregious yet, but people are still getting them.

But I feel its going to eventually turn into a bit of a cluster here as people will be purchasing it as a training too, not a learning tool if that makes sense.

And its a learning tool. It's not going to teach you anything, its going to only provide feedback for you to learn.