• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tech Disc: Useful for HORRIBLE throwers

I agree with you that a net is useless without Tech Disc if you're just going to throw into it and nothing else. You'll probably just end up reinforcing bad habits or creating new ones. You need the net PLUS getting video of your form. That's the quickest way to wholesale changes in your form.

Throw into the net while taping your form.
Review your taped form (or have someone else review it).
Identify changes needed.
Work on those changes while taping it.
Throw into the net while taping your form.
Repeat.

You can do the same thing without a net and videotaping yourself throwing. That's just a lot less efficient because it requires being outside when conditions might not be great, and then going and picking up your discs.

If you want to make real changes to your form though, there's almost no getting around the act of taping yourself (or having someone else tape you) to see how you actually throw.

Yeah, I think that is something I have to remember when talking about using a net.

I forget that when I make my pro net speeches. Yes, its the best net ever.
Uhh.
lawl.

I forget that when I talk about nets being great, I'm assuming that someone that is using a net knows how to make the corrections they need to make, or they understand the drill they are working on while using the net and how to properly execute and practice that drill.

So, if you dont have a good feel for what your body is doing, I can see a net being bad for some practicing as the feedback is necessary for them to know if they were successful to any level.
But, I can also argue that you can chase flight and not form if you're throwing in a field.

That old saying comes into play. 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

I'd more strongly suggest practicing drills into a net. That way you can focus on the drill while watching yourself in a mirror. I think that is one thing people dont think of is the old technique that they do in martial arts... where there are mirrors everywhere, so you can watch yourself do the moves.
Double doody on this one too, cause it will train you to stop jerking your head to start the throw, because you'll be watching yourself in the mirror.

Yeah, I think that is something I have to remember when talking about using a net.

I forget that when I make my pro net speeches. Yes, its the best net ever.
Uhh.
lawl.

I forget that when I talk about nets being great, I'm assuming that someone that is using a net knows how to make the corrections they need to make, or they understand the drill they are working on while using the net and how to properly execute and practice that drill.

So, if you dont have a good feel for what your body is doing, I can see a net being bad for some practicing as the feedback is necessary for them to know if they were successful to any level.
But, I can also argue that you can chase flight and not form if you're throwing in a field.

That old saying comes into play. 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

I'd more strongly suggest practicing drills into a net. That way you can focus on the drill while watching yourself in a mirror. I think that is one thing people dont think of is the old technique that they do in martial arts... where there are mirrors everywhere, so you can watch yourself do the moves.
Double doody on this one too, cause it will train you to stop jerking your head to start the throw, because you'll be watching yourself in the mirror.

Dude that's spot on. I always house sit for my best friends for a week at Christmas time. They have a couple huge mirrors throughout their house, and it helped a ton just watching my form in real time unrecorded

Responding to ChrisinFL, only starting measuring the actual distance of my throws this month. 100' seems to be typical, but I know that I have thrown over 150' (still sucks). But the responses to this thread have made me rethink that; distance will come, after the mechanics improve.

Glad you joined and welcome to the sport!

At these distances and based on your questions, I would strongly suggest that you focus on the big picture and then details of how your body moves to generate power.

You're getting good advice otherwise here IMHO.

If you get a TechDisc, focus on changing the moves that improve distance outputs rather than getting to stuck on the numbers. Use the tool as an additional bit of feedback if you'd like. Keep in mind that it's possible to overtrain yourself to the datapoints (just like any other learning procedure, human or machine).

FWIW, in the bit of live coaching with TechDisc I've done, I've had more success when the person takes a batch of throws, we look at a central tendency of the data and explain it based on video of throwing form, then step away from the TechDisc to work on a move for a bit, then try the TechDisc again and test for changes. Interestingly, sometimes that has helped me make progress with the super headcasy argumentative types.

Also, I don't bag it regularly, but when I was throwing my Buzzz SS more it would easily clear 300' on hyzerflips like a baby fairway driver. Keep in mind that more advanced form for most players often involves releases on angles far away from 0 degrees flat. I've always been interested that after countless form changes I still find my easiest power stroke somewhere between 20 & 25 degrees hyzer (principle applies beyond me & many much higher-level throwers). Buzzz SS likes that.

Last edited:
…Also, I don't bag it regularly, but when I was throwing my Buzzz SS more it would easily clear 300' on hyzerflips like a baby fairway driver. Keep in mind that more advanced form for most players often involves releases on angles far away from 0 degrees flat. I've always been interested that after countless form changes I still find my easiest power stroke somewhere between 20 & 25 degrees hyzer (principle applies beyond me & many much higher-level throwers). Buzzz SS likes that.
I try to throw flat/level 95% of the time. I found my issue with hyzer is that I struggle to get the right angle - I get too much or too little angle, and thus get bad throws. However, in field work just the other day, I took 2 light weight King Airs, which are way too flippy for me, and started messing around with hyzer throws, and I definitely think I was throwing a bit harder, faster, and further than I ever have before. So, thinking what you mentioned, my most power probably comes on hyzer angle. Also, hyzer is my natural release - throwing or putting, I have to work at it hard to release flat instead of on a hyzer angle. Also, first time ever, I wouldn't call it snap, but on a few throws, I could hear the discs cutting the air, and 2-3 times even had a tiny little sound off my finger, like it was not snap, but it was the beginning of wanting to be snap. Very exciting!

I try to throw flat/level 95% of the time. I found my issue with hyzer is that I struggle to get the right angle - I get too much or too little angle, and thus get bad throws. However, in field work just the other day, I took 2 light weight King Airs, which are way too flippy for me, and started messing around with hyzer throws, and I definitely think I was throwing a bit harder, faster, and further than I ever have before. So, thinking what you mentioned, my most power probably comes on hyzer angle. Also, hyzer is my natural release - throwing or putting, I have to work at it hard to release flat instead of on a hyzer angle. Also, first time ever, I wouldn't call it snap, but on a few throws, I could hear the discs cutting the air, and 2-3 times even had a tiny little sound off my finger, like it was not snap, but it was the beginning of wanting to be snap. Very exciting!
I think almost everyone feels this way :) I cannot really conceive of a way that anhyzer swings can feel more powerful than hyzer swings. It took me a long time to be able to throw anhyzer with real, clean power and not fudging it by manipulating my wrist/arm in silly ways. And it still feels pretty weird to me personally.

Absolutely will purchase the TechDisc, but it will be after I cleaned up my form. Speaking of which, did the video & saw lots of issues that require fixing.

Some responders to thread, mentioned practicing with putters, so I bought 3 more (7 total). BY ACCIDENT, think I discovered the correct way for ME to putt: Face the basket & use the wrist ONLY. Inside the house, I had the Hydrogen had an absolutely flat flight. Out in the field, with what I thought was the same technique, had my worst putting practice session since I started; SEVERE hyzer, with almost vertical on some tosses.

Yep, someone has some serious form deficiencies. But I'm convinced that wrist-only technique has merit; it worked in the house, it should work outside.

Absolutely will purchase the TechDisc, but it will be after I cleaned up my form. Speaking of which, did the video & saw lots of issues that require fixing.

Some responders to thread, mentioned practicing with putters, so I bought 3 more (7 total). BY ACCIDENT, think I discovered the correct way for ME to putt: Face the basket & use the wrist ONLY. Inside the house, I had the Hydrogen had an absolutely flat flight. Out in the field, with what I thought was the same technique, had my worst putting practice session since I started; SEVERE hyzer, with almost vertical on some tosses.

Yep, someone has some serious form deficiencies. But I'm convinced that wrist-only technique has merit; it worked in the house, it should work outside.
I have to flick my wrist, putting and driving, or I get a hyzer. Somehow the wrist flick brings the disc up to flat for me.

I have to flick my wrist, putting and driving, or I get a hyzer. Somehow the wrist flick brings the disc up to flat for me.
And that would explain what I saw throwing putters inside the house, where I knew if put my arm into the throw, something would break. At least I know what to work on.

I've heard it referred to as "finger pop" when putting, to bring it up to the correct angle. The more wrist you invoke, the more spin you put on the disc, so it helps keep the disc in the air and travelling in a straight line.