• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tech Disc: Useful for HORRIBLE throwers

IR8300

Started playing less than a year, and I'm still a very bad thrower. Been lurking in some of the Tech Disc threads, and getting the idea that it might help to improve my form.

Watching some the videos, I know that I have to stay away for the Buzzz SS, which was mentioned in 2 of the videos. When practicing, it's my worst disc for both distance and accuracy.

IF I get a good disc or a middle-of-the-road disc, would it help improve my form? (Looking at Tech Disc's web site, looks like you can request a particular disc.)

For me the Buzzz SS is a disaster: Out of 21 discs that I practice, it almost always the worst.

If Tech Disc is amenable to different discs, my best have been,
  • Innova Mamba
  • Latitude 64 Sapphire
  • Axiom Crave (was included with my PDGA membership)
  • MVP Orbital

Perhaps it is not the disc? Perhaps the Buzzz SS is more predictive of form issues? The discs you have listed are good beginner discs, but I will continue to encourage a neutral midrange, for cleaning up form. I am sure others, with more practical instruction experience, will also chime in.

Along those lines, have noticed that discs were my 'go to discs', 9 months ago, no longer cut it.

But we are getting off topic: Will the feedback from using the Tech Disc be useful for a poor thrower? Video reviews are from experience players.

I think...it depends.

I could see a TechDisc greatly speeding up the learning of someone truly dedicated to understanding what it is telling you. I could also see it being a barrier for someone who hasn't already learned the basics, chasing numbers they do not fully understand yet.

Conceptually, from my perspective, the TechDisc is most useful to someone who has a good swing, but wants to really fine tune certain aspects that can be nebulous. The increased possible repetitions and speed of feedback seem very, very useful to me.

If a Buzzz SS is giving you fits, I personally think you might benefit from fixing that first. Dissect why that disc is not flying well for you. Figure out how you can manipulate that particular disc in different ways. That is something that you can definitely accomplish without a TechDisc, and after you accomplish that, I think you might be able to define specifically why you are interested in the data the TechDisc is going to provide.

Thanks RowingsBoats,

Your comment about Tech Disc being better suited for experienced throwers is the sort of thing I was looking for . I'll stick with my driving practice regimen (throw all 21 discs, with the emphasis on trying the flatten out the throw) ... for now.

Regarding the numbers, Hyzer Angle, RPMs, & Wobble I get. Honestly, at my skill level, launch speed means very little. But if I am understanding your point, if I start even chasing the Hyzer Angle & RPMs, I could be introducing some bad form techniques.

Sorry, I really hate the Buzzz SS. Only used in practice, because it's another disc to throw before retrieving the lot. That disc is the heaviest (184g), and causes the most arm pain. After reading your comment, checked the weight on the others mentioned ==> The Crave is the heaviest at 165g in that group. Read enough posts on this site, that the Buzzz SS has its fans, but I am still uncomfortable with it.

For me the Buzzz SS is a disaster: Out of 21 discs that I practice, it almost always the worst.

If Tech Disc is amenable to different discs, my best have been,
  • Innova Mamba
  • Latitude 64 Sapphire
  • Axiom Crave (was included with my PDGA membership)
  • MVP Orbital
I definitely do not think you should get a TechDisc with the mentality that it is disc specific.

I think it would be hard to argue against getting a highish speed driver as the actual plastic mold you mount to the techdisc though. These are the discs you really, really want to control all of the angles on.
Thanks RowingsBoats,

Your comment about Tech Disc being better suited for experienced throwers is the sort of thing I was looking for . I'll stick with my driving practice regimen (throw all 21 discs, with the emphasis on trying the flatten out the throw) ... for now.

Regarding the numbers, Hyzer Angle, RPMs, & Wobble I get. Honestly, at my skill level, launch speed means very little. But if I am understanding your point, if I start even chasing the Hyzer Angle & RPMs, I could be introducing some bad form techniques.

Sorry, I really hate the Buzzz SS. Only used in practice, because it's another disc to throw before retrieving the lot. That disc is the heaviest (184g), and causes the most arm pain. After reading your comment, checked the weight on the others mentioned ==> The Crave is the heaviest at 165g in that group. Read enough posts on this site, that the Buzzz SS has its fans, but I am still uncomfortable with it.
If you hate the Buzzz i get it, I hate some discs too lol.

Go get a Mako3, Uplink, or Sol imo :)

Get a Mako3, MD, or any number of neutral midranges, but also 6-speed fairway drivers that are neutral are also great for showing form issues. Leopard, Crave, Zombee, etc. The Undertaker that's used by Tech Disc isn't bad at all for hand feel, and ultimately you can adjust the flight numbers in the app to make the disc simulate the values you want.

What I've done in a field is throw 5 or 10 putters, then 5 or 10 mids, then 5 or 10 fairways. Once I get to the fairways I'm much more likely to only throw 5 at a time, for easier retrieval. Regardless, I try to throw multiples of the same neutral mold for each type. Aviar, Mako3, and Leopard/Leopard3.

Mamba, Orbital and Sapphire are some of the flippiest discs out there. Never thrown a Crave. Those are discs I throw because my form sucks and I don't care to do anything about it :p

I have no idea what TECH disc is though either.

Started playing less than a year, and I'm still a very bad thrower. Been lurking in some of the Tech Disc threads, and getting the idea that it might help to improve my form.

Watching some the videos, I know that I have to stay away for the Buzzz SS, which was mentioned in 2 of the videos. When practicing, it's my worst disc for both distance and accuracy.

IF I get a good disc or a middle-of-the-road disc, would it help improve my form? (Looking at Tech Disc's web site, looks like you can request a particular disc.)

It might give you data, but it's not gonna coach you from a very bad thrower to a very good thrower. If you're wanting to spend $300, get a local teacher for lessons or throw more. Get a good foundation, then come back to the tech disc

Thanks Thereitgoestoday & everyone else who replied. Apologies for sidetracking this thread at the get go, by mentioning specific discs.

Researching Tech Disc is was time well spent. Learned the following from all of the videos,
  • What is the Hyzer Angle? And what are good values. (My #1 enemy, because just watching my throws, it's 45 degrees ... at least.)
  • Nose angle.
  • Launch angle.
  • Spin speed.
  • STOP throwing at full force, and throw slower by with better technique.
  • Getting 1:1 instruction or attend some other form of live training.
Going into this year, I was already resolute on spending MUCH MORE time on technique, vs. the courses. Was HOPING that Tech Disc would have help with the technique; it probably will, but not now.

Thanks Thereitgoestoday & everyone else who replied. Apologies for sidetracking this thread at the get go, by mentioning specific discs.

Researching Tech Disc is was time well spent. Learned the following from all of the videos,
  • What is the Hyzer Angle? And what are good values. (My #1 enemy, because just watching my throws, it's 45 degrees ... at least.)
  • Nose angle.
  • Launch angle.
  • Spin speed.
Going into this year, I was already resolute on spending MUCH MORE time on technique, vs. the courses. Was HOPING that Tech Disc would have help with the technique; it probably will, but not now.

• Nose angle.
  • Launch angle.
  • Spin speed.

Get you this 10X10 net. $37. Get you a tripod from Walmart, about $15. Work on your form everyday. Still throw in field as much as possible. This net has been the best piece of sporting equipment I've ever had, period the end. You just "gotta want it"

Attachments

• IMG_2618.jpeg
    IMG_2618.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Perhaps it is not the disc? Perhaps the Buzzz SS is more predictive of form issues?

I am one of the oddballs that move away from the "standards" when it comes to discs and learning. If you truly want to be good at disc golf and control your form, you have to throw discs that punish you for bad throws.

People would be like "why would you do that, you wont ever score good." Because ... you need to get score out of your head and "executing the planned shot" into your head. Score means nothing if you're hobbling along on a crutch the whole way. Your forehand nuke OS force flexes down the fairway. Sure you shoot a good score compared to the rest of your card. But scores are not a metric of skill in that sense. Because that particular method of playing usually only works on "that" course.

It's a question of "if its stupid and it works." Well yeah, There are tons of golfers out there going with that method. Is it right? Can't really say its right or wrong all around, but what I can definitely tell you is that there is a really low glass ceiling for that play style.

Mamba, Orbital and Sapphire are some of the flippiest discs out there. Never thrown a Crave. Those are discs I throw because my form sucks and I don't care to do anything about it :p
Mannn, I duno about Orbitals anymore, the last run they did that I bought, they were -1 turns. It was terrible.
I think they made some corrections cause I saw some others that looked "more" correct. But the 3 new ones I have here are not orbitals. Waves flip harder.
The new Mamba's are that way also, its pretty sad.

It might give you data, but it's not gonna coach you from a very bad thrower to a very good thrower. If you're wanting to spend $300, get a local teacher for lessons or throw more. Get a good foundation, then come back to the tech disc

I charge 50 an hour, but I don't get any new new players. They contact me, they say they want lessons, then I never hear from them again. Then I follow up with them. .. and it just fizzles.

I think there is a level of being scared to take lessons for disc golf as a new player. And don't be. Every new players form is atrocious, but its not hard to fix it and get down the fairway better. And working with a coach to set some goals on how you want to play so the coach can take you on that path with the teaching method.

I'm going to teach someone who wants to compete far differently than I'm going to teach someone who wants to have fun playing disc golf and not hurt themselves. I'm not going to spend an hour teaching a casual recreational fun player to brace like I'd teach someone who wants to be competitive.

I wish I could get more new style students. It's something I don't have much practice with. Mostly its people who've played 2 years, have semi okay form that want more distance or control.

I am one of the oddballs that move away from the "standards" when it comes to discs and learning. If you truly want to be good at disc golf and control your form, you have to throw discs that punish you for bad throws.

People would be like "why would you do that, you wont ever score good." Because ... you need to get score out of your head and "executing the planned shot" into your head. Score means nothing if you're hobbling along on a crutch the whole way. Your forehand nuke OS force flexes down the fairway. Sure you shoot a good score compared to the rest of your card. But scores are not a metric of skill in that sense. Because that particular method of playing usually only works on "that" course.

It's a question of "if its stupid and it works." Well yeah, There are tons of golfers out there going with that method. Is it right? Can't really say its right or wrong all around, but what I can definitely tell you is that there is a really low glass ceiling for that play style.

Mannn, I duno about Orbitals anymore, the last run they did that I bought, they were -1 turns. It was terrible.
I think they made some corrections cause I saw some others that looked "more" correct. But the 3 new ones I have here are not orbitals. Waves flip harder.
The new Mamba's are that way also, its pretty sad.

I charge 50 an hour, but I don't get any new new players. They contact me, they say they want lessons, then I never hear from them again. Then I follow up with them. .. and it just fizzles.

I think there is a level of being scared to take lessons for disc golf as a new player. And don't be. Every new players form is atrocious, but its not hard to fix it and get down the fairway better. And working with a coach to set some goals on how you want to play so the coach can take you on that path with the teaching method.

I'm going to teach someone who wants to compete far differently than I'm going to teach someone who wants to have fun playing disc golf and not hurt themselves. I'm not going to spend an hour teaching a casual recreational fun player to brace like I'd teach someone who wants to be competitive.

I wish I could get more new style students. It's something I don't have much practice with. Mostly its people who've played 2 years, have semi okay form that want more distance or control.

I understand what you're saying! For me, played ball golf almost 30 years. Long story short, lost my mother 8-30-22, played first round of DG 12-12-22, I was bit hard day one. I'm still being bit! So for 395 days, disc have left my hand everyday. I do something everyday. The last day haven't thrown a disc was 12-11-22. And I have no desire to ever swing a golf club again. For about the first 7-8 months, I spent 90% time trying to throw as far as I can, other 10% I'd putt around my basket at home, but not serious. I did not fall in love with putting until I was happy with distance/control! I tell people to do the same, you will come back to eventually love putting. Let's face it, I fell in love with DG because I watched my friend throw a disc 330' while he was on the phone with Walmart ordering a birthday cake, not because I watched him make 80% of putts from 22'. That's a similar story for most people!

I think a neutral mid fits that bill to a tee. They are speed and angle sensitive and quickly expose form flaws. Opposed to picking up a mamba which would be quick to hide a particular set of form flaws. Generally, re-teaching someone to lose the classic "noob hyzer" is one of the first steps.....a Mamba or Destroyer don't seem like tools, to provide anyone with the skills, to do anything BUT overcompensate. I am sure there are many ways to skin a cat, but to this day, my game is still predicated off of a smooth, flat form foundation.

OP: Sorry to derail your thread a bit. I don't really operate off of cyber data. I am more of a real world, experience data, kind of guy. I don't have any idea what the purpose of value of Tech Disc could be.

I think a neutral mid fits that bill to a tee. They are speed and angle sensitive and quickly expose form flaws. Opposed to picking up a mamba which would be quick to hide a particular set of form flaws. Generally, re-teaching someone to lose the classic "noob hyzer" is one of the first steps.....a Mamba or Destroyer don't seem like tools, to provide anyone with the skills, to do anything BUT overcompensate. I am sure there are many ways to skin a cat, but to this day, my game is still predicated off of a smooth, flat form foundation.

Disc to design sorta thing.

You need someone to slow down and clean up, hand them a disc that will reward them throwing softer and cleaner. Continue to tell them to settle down a bit, slow and smooth.

Show them with the disc what it does.

Or show them with a more crazy disc.

I bag a few of these odd ball discs and people wanna try them sometimes, and its hilarious cause it turns instant roller for them, while I'm throwing power spike hyzers and they don't get how that works.

Got one of the guys to slow down a bit finally, and it just clicked for him. Distance went up 50-80 feet by him not trying so hard.
And that's really what something like a tech disc will never teach you.

If you chase numbers, you're probably going to be chasing the wrong numbers the wrong fashion.

I think its a valuable tool to gather some data from the work you did away from it to see where your form has came to and become. Is the changes actually providing better data.

So, I still stand by using it sparingly if anything. Just gather baseline data, go back to practice with your bag.

But even then, good coaching is still necessary.

I can, however, see this as a great coaching tool. Start out with your student and gather some throw data.
Work on stuff.
End the day by re-gathering throw data to show them improvement.

OT: Addressing ru4por, what exactly do you mean by "neutral mid"? Stable (vs. Under & Over stable) discs with small Fade & Turn values? This is important, because MAYBE throwing all of my discs during practice might be hurting me because of their different flight characteristics. So maybe I just need to practice with certain ones?

Accept that the Mamba & certain other discs could be masking bad throwing habits. (Fairly certain that my MVP Volts were doing the same when I started.)

Using a net: Tech Disc suggests it, but if I'm practicing, I need feedback. Throwing down field, get to watch the flight path. Practiced with a net once, and there was some feedback when using it. Bottom Line, No Tech Disc, no spending $$$ on a net.

I can, however, see this as a great coaching tool. Start out with your student and gather some throw data.
Work on stuff.
End the day by re-gathering throw data to show them improvement.
This times 1000. So many useful things for a coach.

They say they want more power, but you can show them that they're throwing fast enough already but always nose up, or millions of other similar things.

You can show them that when they throw /hard/ and feel like they've added power, they probably haven't.

Almost all the things coaches repeatedly try to persuade students about, with intermittent success, the techdisc can help prove to them.

And of course it can also help the coach to spot things that they might have missed. Is the disc flipping early because of wobble, or low rpms, or nose too far down etc etc.

It's a massive coaching tool.

OT: Addressing ru4por, what exactly do you mean by "neutral mid"? Stable (vs. Under & Over stable) discs with small Fade & Turn values? This is important, because MAYBE throwing all of my discs during practice might be hurting me because of their different flight characteristics. So maybe I just need to practice with certain ones?

Accept that the Mamba & certain other discs could be masking bad throwing habits. (Fairly certain that my MVP Volts were doing the same when I started.)

Using a net: Tech Disc suggests it, but if I'm practicing, I need feedback. Throwing down field, get to watch the flight path. Practiced with a net once, and there was some feedback when using it. Bottom Line, No Tech Disc, no spending $$$ on a net.

Dude it's 37$ for the net I got. Put it up in my spare living room. I practice footwork, form, angles into my net everyday. Just doing the footwork and actually being able to throw the disc is so powerful, and you don't have to chase it. Get the footwork and form right at home and you'll look so much better in the field!