• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leverage

If Dale Jrs daddy was anybody else, he wouldn't have made a 1/4 of that.

This just strengthens my argument. Dale Sr. was so popular, that even his son benefited from his celebrity despite not winning a Cup Title.

Additionally, none of those endorsement deals stemmed from his baseball career either.

Nike doesn't support baseball anymore?

Yes, but not from the team he played for. Which is what we are talking about. He wasn't good enough to compete at the highest level, therefore, had no place in baseball.

True, and I'm not trying to argue with you on that. I'm just suggesting that it doesn't have to be a current Pro player that moves the needle on a big disc company.

I only used Brodie as an example of what could happen.

This just strengthens my argument. Dale Sr. was so popular, that even his son benefited from his celebrity despite not winning a Cup Title.

Nike doesn't support baseball anymore?

True, and I'm not trying to argue with you on that. I'm just suggesting that it doesn't have to be a current Pro player that moves the needle on a big disc company.

I only used Brodie as an example of what could happen.

Nike sponsored Jordan because of his baseball prowess? And the whole Earnhardt thing plays if Paul McBeth has a kid. I'm struggling to connect it to other famous people. Yes Brodie is somewhat famous. But I just don't see how it benefits a company to sponsor a player who isn't good at it's sport. Not saying Brodie couldn't get good. Sure, he's got skills. I think it would reek of a cheesy marketing ploy that would alienate as many players as it would bring in.

If Kim K wanted to play disc golf, she should get a sponsorship because she's internet famous? She would bring a lot of eyes to the sport.

Bubba Watson is a PDGA member. If he decided to play a bit more DG, even tour, do you think he would help move a company's disc line if he were sponsored but was an average top player on tour?

I'm not into arguing for argument's sake.

I'll stop derailing this thread so we can all go back to speculating on the release of Nikko's custom molds.

If Watson wanted to win top tier DG tourneys I'm sure he could do so. That's not going to happen. He's actually making money playing man golf.

If Watson wanted to win top tier DG tourneys I'm sure he could do so. That's not going to happen. He's actually making money playing man golf.

I think these kinds of comments are presumptuous. Is competing at the highest level of our sport that easy? Could McBeth start winning on the PGA Tour? Crossing over, even with tons of practice, is tough.

Tony Romo comes to mind. He was always an excellent golfer. After retirement from the NFL, he's committed to playing even more golf and competing. To my (limited) knowledge, he hasn't won anything at a super high level.

For a guy to start trying to compete at an older age, against players that have been playing and competing their whole lives, it's a steep hill to climb. It's the same argument I make with the whole Brodie playing DG too.

I think these kinds of comments are presumptuous. Is competing at the highest level of our sport that easy? Could McBeth start winning on the PGA Tour? Crossing over, even with tons of practice, is tough.

Tony Romo comes to mind. He was always an excellent golfer. After retirement from the NFL, he's committed to playing even more golf and competing. To my (limited) knowledge, he hasn't won anything at a super high level.

For a guy to start trying to compete at an older age, against players that have been playing and competing their whole lives, it's a steep hill to climb. It's the same argument I make with the whole Brodie playing DG too.

It would be WAY easier for a pro golfer to compete in disc golf than it would be for a disc golfer to compete in golf. Don't you think that If ANY disc golfer could compete in ANY other pro sport, they would do so? There is real money in many other pro sports. The level of competition in golf is many many times greater than it is in DG. It's not even close. DG doesn't attract real athletes. There is no incentive.

Do we know if Paul's 250K is a base salary for sure? Could it be a guarantee? Meaning it contains a base pay, plus commission on his signature discs/product line and Discraft guaranteed him a 250K income? Maybe there are other stipulations on how he can go over the 250K once a certain revenue number is hit from his products?

I have always been curious about this. Did Paul ever plainly say that he has a base salary of 250K? If so, he is making some cheddar for sure.

I was thinking maybe Ken Climo, but at that time in the game, I do not believe that there was enough money moving, awareness and participation compared to todays numbers. Add to that, the media exposure of present day and I think the disc companies during that time wanted him for sure, but I do not think he could walk into any manufacturer and say "I want X Y and Z or I am going to another manufacturer'" and have it hold any real weight.

Indeed, the sport was primitive by today's standards, and it wasn't until like 1997 that we started seeing "KC" Discs from Innova. Maybe that's because it was the advent of premium plastic, and with that the Cheetahs and Gazelles and Rocs in that plastic were given higher status than regular base plastic (which we wouldn't call "DX" for a few years yet) with his name and consecutive world titles around the rim?

Come to think of it, I remember Discraft releasing their premium plastic Discs around the same time or maybe just after this with their immortal pros on the stamps...the Scott Stokely XL, the Juliana (then) Bower Stratus, the Ron Russell...um, Cyclone was it? Or maybe Comet? They were white Discs with red stamps and a pattern of lots of dots on them if I remember right and I loved them as well as Innova's KC 8x and 9x stuff.

Imagine if anybody won 8 consecutive world titles now and only then got to have their names on Discs. I wonder why there wasn't a stock stamp in 1996 with KC's name on it despite him finishing 2nd place three times out of like 26 events the previous year, and winning all the rest of them? Or did I just miss that? I was always looking through everything in the bins at In-Flight in Lansing and don't remember seeing something like that. Maybe the industry's still-fledgling status at the time meant they had lots of Discs sitting around in their warehouses to sell and they were a good year behind in moving them? I have no idea.

It would be WAY easier for a pro golfer to compete in disc golf than it would be for a disc golfer to compete in golf. Don't you think that If ANY disc golfer could compete in ANY other pro sport, they would do so? There is real money in many other pro sports. The level of competition in golf is many many times greater than it is in DG. It's not even close. DG doesn't attract real athletes. There is no incentive.

So your theory is any casual disc golfer can end up pro? Ball golf shares really no skills with disc golf, other than maybe the mental game. My point is that it's not so easy to all of a sudden get so much better than the best In the world at anything, let alone sports. Even if disc golf doesn't attract "real athletes", with I think is a bs statement in itself. Go tell McBeth he's not an athlete.

So your theory is any casual disc golfer can end up pro? Ball golf shares really no skills with disc golf, other than maybe the mental game. My point is that it's not so easy to all of a sudden get so much better than the best In the world at anything, let alone sports. Even if disc golf doesn't attract "real athletes", with I think is a bs statement in itself. Go tell McBeth he's not an athlete.

Any casual disc golfer can not end up pro. Not at all why im saying.

And yes golf certainly does share skills with dg. If you don't understand the similarities/shared skills in the swing and the throw, then it sucks to be you.

It's no secret that disc gold is a small niche sport. The talent pool is tiny compared with any major pro sport. It stands to reason that the top DGers are not going to compare with the top in any major sport. There is also no money in it. Any athlete that has a chance to be pro in any other sport isn't going to waste any time with DG. It's a hobby.

Mcbeth is not an elite athlete. Sorry, but he simply isn't. He may be the best in the world, which is a great accomplishment, but it doesn't compare to even making the PGA tour.

Any casual disc golfer can not end up pro. Not at all why im saying.

And yes golf certainly does share skills with dg. If you don't understand the similarities/shared skills in the swing and the throw, then it sucks to be you.

It's no secret that disc gold is a small niche sport. The talent pool is tiny compared with any major pro sport. It stands to reason that the top DGers are not going to compare with the top in any major sport. There is also no money in it. Any athlete that has a chance to be pro in any other sport isn't going to waste any time with DG. It's a hobby.

Mcbeth is not an elite athlete. Sorry, but he simply isn't. He may be the best in the world, which is a great accomplishment, but it doesn't compare to even making the PGA tour.

What I'm saying is that is asinine to think that somebody, even a top pro in another sport, even a related one, is just automatically able to be as good as people that have been practicing and competing their whole lives. Yes I understand that the talent pool is tiny.
How about this for an example. Take that guy for dominoes who is the world's fastest pizza box folder. That talent pool is certainly smaller than disc golf Im sure. How many people can do what he can do?

I'm not saying a guy like Watson couldn't do it. I'm just saying it's asinine to assume that he could if he wanted to. Like it was just easy. Oh hey, I'm just gonna go casually win this A tier on my way to Pebble Beach....

And you are going to tell me McBeth is not an athlete, but Bubba Watson is? Really? Please explain the difference.

John Daly and Jon Kruk come to mind immediately. Paul McBeth is certainly a more skilled athlete than them. Probably lots of more examples.

What I'm saying is that is asinine to think that somebody, even a top pro in another sport, even a related one, is just automatically able to be as good as people that have been practicing and competing their whole lives. Yes I understand that the talent pool is tiny.
How about this for an example. Take that guy for dominoes who is the world's fastest pizza box folder. That talent pool is certainly smaller than disc golf Im sure. How many people can do what he can do?

I'm not saying a guy like Watson couldn't do it. I'm just saying it's asinine to assume that he could if he wanted to. Like it was just easy. Oh hey, I'm just gonna go casually win this A tier on my way to Pebble Beach....

And you are going to tell me McBeth is not an athlete, but Bubba Watson is? Really? Please

explain the difference.

I bet there are a lot more people that can box fold then there are that can be top 50 on the PGA tour.

And yeah, disc golf is easy compared to golf. The margin of error that you are working with in hitting a golf ball compared to that of throwing a disc just isn't in the same ballpark.

John Daly and Jon Kruk come to mind immediately. Paul McBeth is certainly a more skilled athlete than them. Probably lots of more examples.

I disagree. Both of those guys needed to be gifted athletes to be able to compete at the level they did while being in relatively poor physical shape.

I disagree. Both of those guys needed to be gifted athletes to be able to compete at the level they did while being in relatively poor physical shape.

But the top 10 disc golfers don't need to be athletes to compete at their level? I'm still just not computing why you feel this way.

But the top 10 disc golfers don't need to be athletes to compete at their level? I'm still just not computing why you feel this way.

I think you are elevating the level that disc golf is on far above where it actually is.

Latest posts