• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lexington Kentucky.

landwhale07

I am moving to Florida on the 20th and am staying the night in Lexigton Kentucky, I was looking for some input on what course to play. I heard good reviews on Shillito and the course descriptions on here don't tell me much. If you had the chance to play one course in Lexington, what would it be?

if you're in lexington you'll only be about an hour away from idlewild, straight up I75...hard to pass that one up...otherwise, i've heard there are some good courses in lexington, but i've not played any of them...

if you're in lexington you'll only be about an hour away from idlewild, straight up I75...hard to pass that one up...otherwise, i've heard there are some good courses in lexington, but i've not played any of them...

i haven't played the lexington courses either, so i can't offer much help with those, but i will agree with hamilton, if you have time to make the drive to burlington and play idlewild, it is an amazing course. not sure of the current status with the recent ice storms, there may be some damage there. but you will probably find that at any of the area courses.

Idlewild and Banklick just outside of Cincinnati are both excellent courses, but if you're only going to be in Lexington, here's what I think of the courses there.

Shillito is a fun, straight forward course that's lightly wooded in areas. The front 9 is shorter with lots of birdie opportunities while the back 9 is a little longer and more challenging. There's a walk from hole 9 to 10, so you should take a look at the map or print it out before you go.

Veterans Park
is a much more challenging course than Shillito. It is mostly wooded with some tight fairways and a few long, tough holes in the back 9. There are a few long walks between holes here so bringing a map with you is a MUST.

If you're really looking for a challenge, Riney B is just a few miles south of Shillito. It's got 24 holes and is 1/3 wooded and 2/3 open. The open holes are mostly long and challenging with tree-lined fairways and punishing rough. The wooded holes are difficult to say the least. Some have twisting fairways while others challenge you to throw perfectly straight, so bring your A game. The layout is easy to follow, but because they've recently added more holes, the numbers on the signs pointing you to the next hole are incorrect, so printing the map isn't a bad idea.

Lake Mingo is a fun little 9 hole course just a mile away from Riney B. It's fairly short, lightly wooded and has strategically placed OB on many holes. It's a great place to get your a warmed up in preparation for Riney B's long holes.

I have played most all that have been mentioned. Unfortunately, Lexington does not have a lot of options. What you choose to play is definitely up to your skill level.

Shillito - nice course...well kept...extremely easy. I didn't find it to be challenging in the slightest and I am really not that advanced of a player. If you want a pitch and putt option for a relaxing round, Shillito is fine.

If you want to be challenged by courses with a higher level of difficulty, opt for Veterans and/or Riney B. Personally, I like Riney B better. Veterans is a little more difficult to navigate as has already been mentioned. A Map is a must at Veterans.

I would rank them in this order:
Riney B
Veterans
Shillito

This is simply my own opinion. If you are looking for an easy relaxing round, Shillito is fine. It is just not nearly as challenging as the other two.

i heard Riney B took a big hit with the recent ice storm, may have a lot of timber down...

I lived in Lexington KY for about 2 years. I agree with what others have said...

Shillito is fun, and good for a quick round, but Veterans and Rhiney B are the two best options...

I never played Rhiney B in its complete form, but I was able to play most of the course as it was being installed. It is difficult and requires good accuracy. I believe this course has a tendency to get very muddy with any kind of precipitation - so you may want to consider that when you are there.

Veterans Park has always been my favorite in Lexington. I consider it to be a very well rounded course, with a very nice design. I think this course has a lot of the same elements as Idlewild, just in minature form. Another thing I like is the elevation change - and all of the holes that play along the edge of the creek. If you are staying downtown Lexington, this course is just off a major road - Man O War blvd.

Latest posts