• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LH Baseball swing vs RHBH Disc Golf

BirdieMachine

Michael Moore Fan Club President
So playing indoor baseball (light plastic bat and soft ball) with my 9 Y/O Nephew I figure I can work on my disc golf throw by swinging LH just using the right arm while he pitches thus simulating the RHBH throw. When I was throwing really well during the summer this seemed to work well. Hitting 400 with a Tern (flat ground no wind). Hadn't done it in a while and my form has suffered now back to 350 again.

Long story short question, compare the two and what differences are there?

I regularly liken the bracing part, especially if someone is tipping over the brace or failing to get good rotation through the hit.

Big difference is that we don't want to keep our eyes on a ball coming at us, so we get the benefit of using a more closed and powerful stance. By closing the stance it changes how we shift weight. By using the step we get a more lateral shift of the hips.

I also don't know if baseball cut has the back foot with the heal off the ground?

Also the elbow extention is pretty difficult to marry, because a bat is a very long lever that has to be moved with 2 hands. We can use the shoulders much more as a variable: involved, not involved, both closed, front closed w/ back more open.

I grew up playing baseball my whole life and though I am right handed have always batted lefty. When I first learned disc golf, I noticed almost immediately that I could throw further than most, and I think a lot of that had to do with my baseball experience. However, learning to control my arm speed and disc angle were much more difficult. I think learning to play Ultimate is what eventually taught me control/touch because those discs are much less forgiving than a golf disc. Having the baseball background definitely gave me the core muscles and hip motion that, while slightly different, was easy to transfer to disc golf. I haven't played as much baseball since getting into disc golf, but I joined a slow pitch softball league a few years ago and found that disc golf had really ramped up my bat speed. I was crushing them out of the field with ease and ended up with the highest slugging average in the league.

I regularly liken the bracing part, especially if someone is tipping over the brace or failing to get good rotation through the hit.

Big difference is that we don't want to keep our eyes on a ball coming at us, so we get the benefit of using a more closed and powerful stance. By closing the stance it changes how we shift weight. By using the step we get a more lateral shift of the hips.

I also don't know if baseball cut has the back foot with the heal off the ground?

Also the elbow extention is pretty difficult to marry, because a bat is a very long lever that has to be moved with 2 hands. We can use the shoulders much more as a variable: involved, not involved, both closed, front closed w/ back more open.

Rear foot should finish on the toes, heel up, in a baseball swing.
You want to make an "A" with your legs. Rear knee bent in to front leg.

imho, the benefit is using legs hips and arm in a somewhat similar motion.
the body position... and even the timing may differ... but the idea is still the same.... you can't do it well with just your arm.

my 9 yr old grandson just started to really get a decent RH baseball swing going
about mid-season this year. so i made him do batting practice LH for 30 mins,
then took him across the street and we played a round of disc golf....
after a quick refresher course on his reach back, he was popping his drives an extra 50'.

ah to be young again,,,, lol

I am dominant RH but I throw LHBH and RHFH and RHOH.

When people ask me why I throw LHBH, I tell them that I grew up playing basebal and golf as a righty. Everybody seems to understand.

When people ask me why I throw LHBH, I tell them that I grew up playing basebal and golf as a righty. Everybody seems to understand.
I'm the same way. The only thing I do lefty, and always have, is throw a frisbee backhand. Seems natural to me. I had to teach myself to throw RHBH, which took a few months of very bad play.

I was a righty batter as a kid decades ago. After playing disc golf RHBH for x years I can now bat left handed pretty well. The thing that connects the two for me is the lead arm is pulling. Unfortunately the righty batter didn't help me throw disc lefty. I can get a decent throw but no control whatsoever, my left hand is apparently not connected to my brain as the only thing I can do with my left hand is pick my nose.

I'm the same way. The only thing I do lefty, and always have, is throw a frisbee backhand. Seems natural to me. I had to teach myself to throw RHBH, which took a few months of very bad play.

I've been working on my LHFH, instead of my RHBH. Don't really know why I chose LHFH, but I had to do one or the other.

To me, the key question is, "what hand do you grab something with?"

A lefty will grab a hockey stick with their left hand, at the top of the stick, which is why most lefties shoot right in hockey, and most hockey players shoot left.

Baseball seems to work somewhat differently, but I still would put my power hand on the bottom of the bat. For some, it's the top hand.

You need to bowl with someone, or shoot pool, or throw darts to really find out what hand they are.

You need to bowl with someone, or shoot pool, or throw darts to really find out what hand they are.

ah, the plot thickens.

i throw darts left handed, but could probably do right as well if i trained. but i can only bowl left handed. and i shoot pool right handed. i eat and write right handed.

i grab stuff with both hands, too. just depends.

I am dominant RH but I throw LHBH and RHFH and RHOH. When people ask me why I throw LHBH, I tell them that I grew up playing basebal and golf as a righty. Everybody seems to understand.

Same here. LHBH feels so much more natural, and I agree that it is due to playing golf and baseball growing up. I really don't understand why there aren't more of us. I never really worked on a RHFH, since it didn't give me a different flight path. I'm paying for that decision now, especially when I have a lie that dictates a different throw. I can throw RHBH in an emergency, but with little power or accuracy. I could probably have a serviceable RHBH or RHFH throw if I could put the time into it, but one thing for sure is that I won't throw LHFH.

Latest posts