• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LHBH Starter Disc

Here's a great article to read:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml

It hasn't been updated with all the newest discs, but it's a really good place to start.

I'd recommend a stable putter (Wizard, KC Aviar, Challenger, ect.), a neutral mid (Roc, Buzzz, MS, Element, ect.) and a slow neutral driver (DX Cheetah, Polairs LS). There are lots of putters and mids that will work great, but those two drivers are, IMO, standouts for beginners. I highly recommend lower grade plastics for new players. They're much easier to control, you'll get more distance, you'll get to see how discs beat in and why that's good and because you probably won't throw very hard to start, you don't damage them as much when you hit stuff.

I agree with the buzzz.. I love my rocs, but they take some time to learn. I would go with.. Champ leopard in the 160's, 170 Z Buzzz, and 175 Aviar/Magic/Magnet. plastic doesn't really matter for putters.

i disagree slightly. i agree with everything but the roc part. i think more people should start out with rocs. when i started throwing them (six years into my "addiction") it really helped my form and understanding of the true usefulness mid range discs. just to get that bastard to fly properly really helped the rest of my game.

i disagree slightly. i agree with everything but the roc part. i think more people should start out with rocs. when i started throwing them (six years into my "addiction") it really helped my form and understanding of the true usefulness mid range discs. just to get that bastard to fly properly really helped the rest of my game.

On the other hand, if it's difficult to make it fly, then the new player may get discouraged and give up.

On the other hand, if it's difficult to make it fly, then the new player may get discouraged and give up.
I go back and forth on Rocs for new players. On one hand they do start off a bit beefy. On the other hand there are a lot of players who can't even throw them because they have so much OAT that all a Roc will do is turn into a cut roller after 80'. If you want the best of both worlds just buy a DX Roc and a DX Shark for less than a high end plastic mid costs and have the best of both worlds. As they beat in just replace them with new Rocs and start stockpiling the beat ones.