• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LHFH looking for a left to right flight

zeerobb

Bogey Member
New guy here,Trying to find a Disc that I can flick to hit a hard dogleg right turn. I have thrown the Avenger-SS, Bolt, escape, sidewinder, roadrunner, *starfire (*lost in river) and sometimes I can get them to fade or turn right, but the better I get the more they resist the turn They will either flip over and roll or will take an S turn and come back to center...My roadrunner just flips and rolls now, its been retired. The frostline bolt and biofusion escape are doing the job but are very inconsistent in the Kansas wind.
I know I will eventually have to backhand my OS drivers to get these right turns that I'm looking for. I do LHBH my Mids and putters but only getting 175'-200 right now and go with the BH on my 2nd or approach shot (unless I need a hard left turn then I will flick a destroyer or teerex on minimal power) . Is there a driver out there that has the turn I'm looking for? I'm currently flicking 275'-300.

Last edited:
I know I will eventually have to backhand my OS drivers to get these right turns that I'm looking for.
Why wait? Getting started on doing this would be a better answer than trying to find that magic disc that might only work for a little while. Add a shot to your arsenal and you won't need to buy new discs to fix this problem.

I honestly only flick a driver when I need it to finish left. (Note: I'm also LH).

The problem with what you are asking for is that a turn over, fh that holds that line for a long time is a HARD shot. If there's some wind to deal with? Forget about it. Throwing a backhand on a hyzer is about 100x easier and more consistent and more wind resistant.

Sarah Hokom always threw really nice turnover flicks when she was with Discraft... I wonder what disc she used for that?

Why wait? Getting started on doing this would be a better answer than trying to find that magic disc that might only work for a little while. Add a shot to your arsenal and you won't need to buy new discs to fix this problem.

I honestly only flick a driver when I need it to finish left. (Note: I'm also LH).

Because I BH throw like a wild man off the tee, dont know why, to me there are too many moving parts in the BH throw, where when I FH, I'm much more relaxed,consistant and know how and when to release on the hit..Your from Kansas, You played Hole 7 in Derby, its a hard dogleg right and I have never par'd that paticular hole, same with 12, I would love to throw BH far enough to get it to make that turn, I am working on it slowly by BH all my Mids and putters.

You played Hole 7 in Derby, its a hard dogleg right and I have never par'd that paticular hole.
Played Derby today. That hole ain't much of a dogleg, just an off kilter tee with some trees to the right. Finishing right will help matters, but at 241 feet, you really don't need a driver. If you can get past the trees, even if you're way left, and can do a half decent layup, its an easy 3, even without a BH shot.

I really like my impulse, insanity and inspire for shots that finish left with a RHFH. I can get everything from a slow long fade finishing flat to a sweeping turnover that doesnt fade out to a hard turn for sharper angles from these 3. Impulse is most tempermental but best for right to left shots for me. Its also a very nice roller disc. Inspire with turnover and ride for a ways then flatten out and finally my insanity will fly that very mild turn through the whole flight to the ground.

I throw a RHFH and was looking something that will fade left at the end. I can get about 300' off a beat in buzz ss that slowly turns and never makes it to the fade, but I can't find a driver for that shot either. I seem to get by unless there's a tight tunnel that has to finish left. I find it similar to flicking an ultimate.

You can throw hyzer, flat and anhyzer forehand so experiment throwing anhyzers. Drivers have to get up to speed so If it had to be a driver id go with a speed 9, Maybe a Valkyrie in dx then in star would work

Have you tried beat up/lighter versions of molds you can throw well straightish? Tough shot regardless, small margin of error with a big variety of results of course.

Also, regarding OS BHs, check out some threads on here or the Climo/Feldberg Fundamentals video about "Understanding Stability"... u might do better with a little more hyzer release on a slower neutral/stable disc than trying to crank something real fast/OS

lefty here and if I have to flick a dog leg right I will use a flx buzz. on an anhyzer. that's a tough line to pull off. Maybe a stratus?

I don't know if right-handers are welcomed in this thread but I have a few suggestions. I am rhfh dominant and have found the Axiom Theory, Inspire and Crave to be great discs for me to flick and get them to go left. However, wind eats this shot for breakfast lunch and dinner. As other have said, it is a very touchy shot but with a smooth release I can get anything from a slight track to the left or a very drastic dump off. If you were to try the Crave, I can only pull off a rhfh left turning shot with that disc down at 155.

All that being said, I also second developing your backhand form. I'm still building mine and don't have all the confidence in it yet, but an inconsistent backhand gets me into less trouble than a touchy/finicky turnover or anyhyzer flick.

Not sure I could ever flick a long late dogleg with any disc forehand. Any reason you don't throw a backhand? Seems a perfect hole to learn a backhand on.

Having tossed Frisbees since I was 8, its hard to fathom not being able to throw both FH and BH. I realize some of you have arrived recently to this sport, but its really handy, nah, critical to do both. No matter what anyone tells you otherwise.

Compare to tennis---how good could a player be if he had no backhand? I could beat 'em, and I don't even play tennis.

Latest posts