• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

Oooh, new DX PCs? Yes please!
I just scribbled on another DX Polecat tonight, my stack of new white 'Cats are getting smaller and smaller :(
Time to go shopping
13781835_1131525076919565_6627102495180200573_n.jpg

SuperClass gets very little love, and especially non-Zephyr SuperClass lids. This is my attempt to spread the love.
A discin' Gargoyle on a Wham-O Ultimate lid.
13669715_1141707959234610_8402553281587946798_n.jpg

Wait they are making Polekitties in the new DX (like a Thunderbird)? I need some!!!

Question for you lid fanatics out here; is there a larger diameter lid out there? Something between a Polecat and a Zephyr? Like a 180gr 22cm diameter lid?

The Snap Disc Sports Whittler is 22.6, and the Innova Gopher is 22.9. Both are super fun to throw.

Stopped in another PIAS yesterday and all the Polecats were in a soft Dx so I give up.
Need it in McPro. OR Millenniums new DT...

You didn't ask for molds in production. You know that you can download an Excel doc of approved molds and sort by the diameter column, right?

Question for you lid fanatics out here; is there a larger diameter lid out there? Something between a Polecat and a Zephyr? Like a 180gr 22cm diameter lid?
The Sonic is readily available and is 21.6 cm diameter. This gives it a max weight of 179.3g. I know this isn't quite what you were asking for but it is close and easy to find. 2 words of warning, though:
1. the lid-like properties of discs gets muted as the weight goes up. I love my sonics but only @ 150g. My 175g Sonic does not scratch the lid-itch for me. It is not as finesse-y, glidey, or outright awesome as the lighter ones.
2. Sonics, especially heavy Sonics, are prone to breaking. There are concentric rings molded into the top of the disc and if you hit a tree hard enough the disc will crack on one of these rings. I will say that I have hit many trees with my lighter Sonics and never broke one. I think this is because throwing a lighter Sonic really hard rarely ever runs out well so my Sonic throws are very controlled and fluid rather than torque monkey.

Thanks for the input. I've handled a Sonic, not the disc for me. Guess I was wondering if there was a Polecat type lid around the size of a Comet.

You said you handled one... ever thrown one? They are not as stable as a Polecat but they are great in the woods.
i don't know of any current production discs that fit your description. Why no Zephyr? Too big?

The Sonic is readily available and is 21.6 cm diameter. This gives it a max weight of 179.3g. I know this isn't quite what you were asking for but it is close and easy to find. 2 words of warning, though:
1. the lid-like properties of discs gets muted as the weight goes up. I love my sonics but only @ 150g. My 175g Sonic does not scratch the lid-itch for me. It is not as finesse-y, glidey, or outright awesome as the lighter ones.
2. Sonics, especially heavy Sonics, are prone to breaking. There are concentric rings molded into the top of the disc and if you hit a tree hard enough the disc will crack on one of these rings. I will say that I have hit many trees with my lighter Sonics and never broke one. I think this is because throwing a lighter Sonic really hard rarely ever runs out well so my Sonic throws are very controlled and fluid rather than torque monkey.

I didn't like light Sonics. WAY too flippy for me and effect by even a tiny bit of wind.

Personally I found that a 175g Sonic was most like an Ultrastar which is what I was looking for. I ended up swapping to a 150g Polecat in order to minimize molds in my bag since the 150g Polecat worked for the shots I used my Sonic for.

You said you handled one... ever thrown one? They are not as stable as a Polecat but they are great in the woods.
i don't know of any current production discs that fit your description. Why no Zephyr? Too big?

No, never thrown a Sonic. I'll just stick to the Polecat and Birdie.

Yes, Zephyr is too big, doesn't fit in the bag and isn't worth squat in the wind. I actually played a Zephyr/Condor round today, had a lot of fun!

Why both a Polecat and Birdie? Do you use one for something that you don't use the other for?

I bag a Birdie for the reason that most folks seem to hate, less glide. The polecat is too unpredictable at a few of the courses I play. And I do play Polecat only rounds at times.

Latest posts