• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

Under rated.
This disc is the answer to everyone's lid quest (imo) but Discraft wouldn't put it into production. :\

I blame the hundreds (thousands?) of chuckers who go to ace races and gave negative feedback because they suck and can't handle a neutral disc.

Actually yeah. I want a zeppelin and a piranha. I love driving with lids. They are just very comfy in the hand. I would drive almost exclusively with liddish discs if I could have an os and neutral/us complement, ala roc/comet.

I don't consider the zeppelin a lid. Rim isn't flat.

Yeah, the Zeppelin isn't a lid. It's a nice, neutral, floaty approach disc so I get how it gets in the conversation, but it's not a lid.

Of course it's closer to being a lid than a Condor, so...

*dies a little inside every time the Condor gets mentioned in a lid thread*

*is killing self*

:\

I agree the Zeppelin is not a lid. I just offered it up as a Condor equivalent - also not a lid. It is a fantastic mold though.

BroD, that 2CV couldn't outrun my grandma, but I would absolutely enter it into the 24 Hours of Lemons and have a blast for the forty-five seconds it was running before pushing it the rest of the event with my support vehicle and happily accept the "Spirit Of" award at the end of the event!

To 3Ps point, I want a lid to throw in place of beveled putters. I don't want it to be just for "lid shots". Much like the Zeppelin and Condor get mentioned in lid threads, I want someone to ask for a driving putter and be able to specify beveled-edge after someone throws out a lid. There's no reason that both can't live side by side.

We could even take it further and thicken the rims making way for mid lids and fairway driver lids. Warp speed lids are just pure madness though. The revolution doesn't have to end at speed 1! Step outside of the box you old fogeys and explore the world around you!

#vivalalid

So a large diameter super shallow lid for fairway? May be you could put up some lids in pif, lol

First there is a 2cv class for racing, second I love this stuff.
Still not sure I would want a big boy lid. There are so many good lids to choose from. If you want a big boy lid get a lightweight stableish putter and call it good (I have a 100g challenger and a 130g wizard)

Is that second guy in there as a counter-balance in hard rights? :D

That video is exactly what I'm talking about. That 2CV is a beast, a total sleeper.

We had that driving lid for a long time. It wasn't very popular and not very many people cared when it went OOP. Innova isn't at all interested in bringing it back. It's going to take somebody like Jamie who can do it and wants to do it to make it happen. I'm sure I'll buy some if one hits production, but I'm also pretty sure it won't end up in my bag.

I just got mine mini wizard yesterday and it's freaking awesome! It feels like a polecat but has nice grippy wizard texture. Even though it's small, it flies true and straight. Highly recommend.

It'll fit inside that roc with room to spare

We had that driving lid for a long time. It wasn't very popular and not very many people cared when it went OOP. Innova isn't at all interested in bringing it back. It's going to take somebody like Jamie who can do it and wants to do it to make it happen. I'm sure I'll buy some if one hits production, but I'm also pretty sure it won't end up in my bag.

which one are you talking about...the piranha?

Are those mini wizards available to the public?

I too would like to hear about this mini Wizard.

----------------------story time with Uncle BroD------------------

As a chucker, my chucker friends and I obviously thought the lid type discs were for lame-o's that wore their pleated khakis too high and wore last year's loafers (as if!). Fast forward a couple of years later, I'm visiting my friends from out of town and it's my birthday. One of my friends takes me to PIAS during the beer run for a disc on him. I snag a DX Polecat for schnitzengiggles and to be modest (price). He was like, "Seriously? Okay..." Fast forward to now and it's one of my favorite discs in my bag.

Lil' Wizards are available. Discbaron's got some. Ebay does too. Some other places I think. I haven't thrown one. But I'm excited to.

which one are you talking about...the piranha?
Yup. The Piranha was around for most of the 90's. Almost nobody bought them. They were one of the "stock 10 at the beginning of the season and let them sit around" discs at the shop I ran. They actually were one of the worst selling discs I had, and lids in general were poor sellers. Polecats, Rattlers, Upshots and Super Puppies all collected dust in that shop. The old pre-thumbtrac Birdie was the only lid that I could sell, and it mostly sold due to the pot leaf disguised as bird feathers on the stamp. :\

I love throwing lids, though. Maybe the market has changed enough to support a disc like the Piranha now. I just understand why Innova has no interest in being the company that finds out. Somebody is really going to have to want to make that disc for it to happen.

Latest posts