• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lights out-Strategy for Best Glow Play

I've always used the little stick-shaped LED lights from the fishing section at walmart. Use clear packing tape to put them on, just do it inside and make sure it's dry. Never had an issue with anything coming off. Works well on champ or white KC pro plastic.

Bait lights are great until they turn off, they have a little slide that turns em on and off, put a length of tape around that part once it is on and it won't happen. ThrowLites are still better.

Just be sure if you DO use the UV blacklight and glow disc strategy, to be careful not to shine the flashlight all over the place. Nothing kills night vision like getting blasted by a UV blacklight in the retinas.

Typically, I try to keep the flashlight against the disc, rub it back and forth a few times and I'm good.

Just be sure if you DO use the UV blacklight and glow disc strategy, to be careful not to shine the flashlight all over the place. Nothing kills night vision like getting blasted by a UV blacklight in the retinas.

Typically, I try to keep the flashlight against the disc, rub it back and forth a few times and I'm good.

This is the main reason i like lighted discs over glow discs. Its virtually impossible to get your night vision up when people are shining lights at their discs. Even if its not directly at you, it still impairs your night vision. For that reason, lighted discs will always be easier to see.

I've always used the little stick-shaped LED lights from the fishing section at walmart. Use clear packing tape to put them on, just do it inside and make sure it's dry. Never had an issue with anything coming off. Works well on champ or white KC pro plastic.

Yep this is what I do. Works just fine and they are really cheap.

This is the main reason i like lighted discs over glow discs. Its virtually impossible to get your night vision up when people are shining lights at their discs. Even if its not directly at you, it still impairs your night vision. For that reason, lighted discs will always be easier to see.

agreed 100%. I really dislike people shining flashlights around when playing glowie. It will get you yelled at with our group. Part of the fun is letting your night vision come up and enjoying the dark.

Best taping strategy (I use 3M clear duct tape, works well) is to apply tape at home at room temperature. The adhesive works better and the warmer plastic creates a better bond.

I prefer these lights
$(KGrHqEOKjcE31vVndmnBN97mwdz+w~~_35.JPG

51 UV LED < $10 shipped

My 9 LED UV takes a bit too long to get a really nice glow. My friends 51 LED provides a nice bright glow pretty fast, so...

Just ordered this 51 UV LED flashlight off e-bay for $9.49 with no add'l fee for shipping.
Appears to be made of aluminum and pictured with a lanyard (I like to clip the light to a belt loop with a carabiner).

Seller is listed as Peng Jian Chu ([email protected]), their feedback.

:popcorn:

Any debate on taping the lights (led) to either bottom or top.

Right now i voting for the top. As I can see them better and my champ/opto type plastic is slowly replaced by more grippable type plastics as the evening temps are cooler.

LED attached to underside of disc with quality clear packaging tape works best for me. I prefer that people minimize the use of lights during glow rounds (yes, that includes you "Mr. Glow Purist" that uses a blinding UV Light for his glow discs but whines about everyone elses flashlight). Bright red LED lights work great on almost all types and colors of plastic. Blue Star is the only combo that is hard to light (it requires a very strong blue LED to shine thru).

I tend to have a dedicated glow bag that is mostly champ style plastic. For really solid discs, like a putter, I just tape on top.

Interesting. Seems like people are happy with bottom taping. Doesn't have to be clearish plastic either.?..

One thought- what about the flight in the air, can you still see the disc well while its in the air. Definitely, enjoy seeing the trail the light leaves behind not to mention knowing where to look.

I like glow plastic, until there is snow on on ground or it's really cold. Then (if you still want to play night disc in the snow) you pretty much have to use LEDs. The flat ones with the button are great with clear duct tape, taped on the bottom. I have found even DX plastic the light will shine through at least enough so that when you are close to it you can find it.

I use a combination of Glow discs w/ a 51 LED blacklight and flight lights taped to the bottom. Sometimes when i am feeling brave, I will throw a non-glow no light disc. The trick to that is use the blacklight after you throw. Most brightly colored discs light up from about 20' away like they were neon. Obviously I only do this with discs I am confident I know where they go on courses I am very familiar with. But try it out, you will be amazed.

I recommend the following UV flashlight and Duck Tape brand glow tape if you plan on playing a lot of night disc.

I use this UV flashlight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-WF-501B-...-Light-Lamp-/131266959869?hash=item1e901ed9fd

Less than $10 shipped. One LED and insanely bright. Brighter than and charges faster than any 10, 20, 50 led UV flashlight that I have used.

Disclaimer - Only uses 18650 batteries. The batteries are available online and rechargeable. I'm too cheap to buy quality batteries that cost as much or more than the flashlight because I have a terrible habit of forgetting flashlights on the course. I'll spend about $5 for 4 batteries and a charger. They have terrible memory, ever decreasing battery life, etc Try to keep a newish, recently charged backup in the bag.

On tape - Just get the Duck Tape brand glow tape. Spend the $10 or whatever on a roll. It will last a quite a while assuming you don't pass it out to everyone at minis. The tape will stay on and "hold a charge up" for weeks.

My recommendation if you don't mind spending a few extra dollars a round or don't play night disc often.

Buy super bright white LEDs (2x 100pcs)-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-X-wh...-Light-lamp-/111104785929?hash=item19de5c7e09

Buy 100 coin batteries (Get ones that are individually packaged. I've had trouble with batteries failing after being stored loosely in the same container) -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-CR2025-...ETAIL-CARDS-/201421561494?hash=item2ee5a91e96

Buy a roll of duct tape or gaffer's tape if you wanna buy the best tape ever.

Make sure to tape LEDs directly to the coin battery before taping them onto the disc. I use 2 LEDs per battery. If you want to get fancy, tape some LEDs to the top of baskets and point them down toward the chains.

*Keep the tape, a couple packages of batteries, and a stash style mini with a handful of LEDs in your bag for impromptu night rounds.

My recommendation if you don't mind spending a few extra dollars a round or don't play night disc often.

Buy super bright white LEDs (2x 100pcs)-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-X-wh...-Light-lamp-/111104785929?hash=item19de5c7e09

Buy 100 coin batteries (Get ones that are individually packaged. I've had trouble with batteries failing after being stored loosely in the same container) -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-CR2025-...ETAIL-CARDS-/201421561494?hash=item2ee5a91e96

Buy a roll of duct tape or gaffer's tape if you wanna buy the best tape ever.

Make sure to tape LEDs directly to the coin battery before taping them onto the disc. I use 2 LEDs per battery. If you want to get fancy, tape some LEDs to the top of baskets and point them down toward the chains.

*Keep the tape, a couple packages of batteries, and a stash style mini with a handful of LEDs in your bag for impromptu night rounds.

I got these for any discs I want to use other than my dedicated lighted discs. I usually play very minimalist at night with my lighted Volt and Axis, then an LED taped to my putter. For the Volt and Axis I got the NiteIze light you permanently attach to the disc.

I have the same top hat LEDs. Had a card gripe constantly they were too brite. So, did a little tinkering and got some reds and greens that were even brighter.:thmbup: Of course, they didn't gripe about them at all. Upside is I now have some really good reds and greens. :thmbup:

Latest posts