• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Link to Sign Vinyl, and Old vs. New Rit Dye

jakerg23

1) Can someone provide a link to good sign vinyl? I've been looking online, but I'd rather somebody give me a link to something that really works.

2) How can you tell the difference between new and old formula Rit dye?

Search

But to sum it up...

"Batch Number Clarification: The first three numbers of the batch are the day of the year it was produced, and the last two are the year, so 17510 is the 175th day of 2010.
Rit told me to look for boxes up to early 2010."

If you do a little digging on this forum you will find a thread about getting 2 rolls of free 3M vinyl and several references to good locations for the better quality Oracal vinyl. A little more digging and you'll find a whole thread devoted to new vs old Rit.

Not trying to be a pain but I want to use you as an example. Do a little frickin' reading man!

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a pain, but I did look around the board some, and it seems like a sticky would be in order summing some of this stuff up. This is about the 4th or 5th time in the past year I've looked into dyeing discs, and I came this time ready to actually purchase some sign vinyl and I can't find a single page with a working link to buy some.

I thought summing it up might not only help me, but some other people looking for the same thing.

Obviously I can find vinyl on google, but for fear of possibly finding the wrong thing I figured I could ask (what I assume is) a helpful community to give me a reliable link. I know these topics may come up a lot, but after searching and seeing what I could find, I assumed I wouldn't piss people off just by asking for a link.

Also thanks to ZBoazMobster and Icculus for being very helpful. I know you guys probably spend every day on this board and already know how to dye discs, but there isn't one omnibus post that gives quick simple answers like this. I found topics, but when things aren't included in the first post, it gets hard to read every single page looking for information as easily as it is to ask a community.

And if you hate these posts, make a NOOBS GO HERE FIRST topic and actually have it answer these common questions in about one paragraph each. I would obviously love to find one of those instead of being the guys who asks all the questions.

Also thanks to ZBoazMobster and Icculus for being very helpful. I know you guys probably spend every day on this board and already know how to dye discs, but there isn't one omnibus post that gives quick simple answers like this. I found topics, but when things aren't included in the first post, it gets hard to read every single page looking for information as easily as it is to ask a community.

And if you hate these posts, make a NOOBS GO HERE FIRST topic and actually have it answer these common questions in about one paragraph each. I would obviously love to find one of those instead of being the guys who asks all the questions.

Dan Howard organized a very nice beginner's guide/links/sticky at the top of the threads. That should help most everyone who is against doing thorough research, or trial and error.
Sign vinyl can be found and bought from your local sign shops, or go to google.com and type in "sign vinyl." USCutter, Sign Supply, even ebay has a ton of great vinyl buys.
I know what you're saying, but the Rit thing has been gone over ad nauseum, so that should've been easy to find.
And asking where to find sign vinyl is like asking a room full of chefs how to boil water; seems so easy, especially if you know how to dye already, like you said you do.
not trying to chafe here, but when you have more fingers than posts, and all the info is right here, easy to find, seems like a few minutes of digging would get you all the answers for how to begin, what dyes work, what platisc work, gradients/marbling/masking/materials/glow pics/EVERYTHING is right here. You could also search for "noob question" and see how many others there are and how easily most of their questions could be answered with just a simple search and 5 minutes of reading. :hfive:

Dan Howard organized a very nice beginner's guide/links/sticky at the top of the threads. That should help most everyone who is against doing thorough research, or trial and error.
Sign vinyl can be found and bought from your local sign shops, or go to google.com and type in "sign vinyl." USCutter, Sign Supply, even ebay has a ton of great vinyl buys.
I know what you're saying, but the Rit thing has been gone over ad nauseum, so that should've been easy to find.
And asking where to find sign vinyl is like asking a room full of chefs how to boil water; seems so easy, especially if you know how to dye already, like you said you do.
not trying to chafe here, but when you have more fingers than posts, and all the info is right here, easy to find, seems like a few minutes of digging would get you all the answers for how to begin, what dyes work, what platisc work, gradients/marbling/masking/materials/glow pics/EVERYTHING is right here. You could also search for "noob question" and see how many others there are and how easily most of their questions could be answered with just a simple search and 5 minutes of reading. :hfive:

I understand your points, and I'm not saying I completely understand how to do it. I'm definitely a beginner, just one who has read a lot. I appreciate the help, but I've seen communities where noobs get flamed for asking beginner questions. Thanks for the help, and I'll look longer before I ask again.

Thanks for the help, and I'll look longer before I ask again.

That's all we ask, try to spend some time looking for the answer yourself. Your question about the RIT made me think you hadn't done any and you say that's incorrect so I apologize. I know it's not easy reading through a lot of posts looking for one specific thing but it seems to be the nature of this beast.

The upside, the RIT discussion thread that I missed has been added to the sticky.

That's all we ask, try to spend some time looking for the answer yourself. Your question about the RIT made me think you hadn't done any and you say that's incorrect so I apologize. I know it's not easy reading through a lot of posts looking for one specific thing but it seems to be the nature of this beast.

The upside, the RIT discussion thread that I missed has been added to the sticky.

Yeah I'm not trying to be a pain, I saw people talking about old vs new stuff, but finding the specific numbers was pretty difficult for me. I'm definitely an outsider, so you have to look at it from my perspective. It's hard to come into a forum that you don't keep up with and try to find anything, even with the search function. On reddit or something at least good posts float to the top, but in threaded sites it's hard to identify what is good information or what is disproved on the next page without reading everything. I don't know, it just seems like this would be a good place for a disc dying wiki that collected the information in a nice format. If that exists then I really did miss it.

Latest posts