• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

List your top 5 favorite courses

Should the First Course Played, automatically be on our Top 5

Special Shoutout to Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver circa 2001

plamann apple in wisco was my first back in the summer of 2000. i'd put in my top 100 max. I actually just replayed it a few weeks ago.

Heh. Calvert Road (3.14 on DGCR) was my first disc golf course, played with Wham-O Frisbees in the early 1980s. Fun little course.

But, um, not in my top 5. :rolleyes:

In contrast, Seneca Creek (4.26 on DGCR) dates to 1990 and is permanently in my top 5. I have probably played Seneca Creek as often as all other courses combined, and it never gets old (YMMV).

Last edited:
1. Lake Marshall The Lions, Montross, VA- Very Difficult, long distance, Scenic, Water Carries, and those elevated tees.

2. Casey Logan, Kill Devil Hills, NC- Very scenic for a heavily wooded course, difficult and extremely difficult from the longs. I was just there Monday and cant believe how much work the local club has done to the course, they keep stretching the longs and not yet finished.

3. Munden Point, Virginia Beach, VA- Very scenic along the North Landing River, postcard hole #8, wildlife, birdie festival from the shorts, but difficult from the longs. My home course. It was my number 1 just a few weeks ago, but after playing 1 and 2 recently, gotta keep it honest.

4. Waller Mill, Williamsburg, VA- Scenic wrapping around a lake, several death putt rollers into the lake I've lost three putters. Elevated thru heavy woods, long tees very difficult with small gaps. Have always seen deer there, including yesterday morning.

5. New Quarter, Williamsburg, VA- Scenic, variety of open, moderate, and heavy woods. Rollers, a few elevated tees, wave effect open fairways.

First course Bayville Virginia Beach, VA an Ed Headrick course 1977 from what I've been told oldest course on the East Coast, and Headrick 5th course? There's still a handful of the originals to play it there, I like chatting with them and hearing there stories.
My first round will be 2 years next month carrying a Walmart Frisbee. When I saw the backpack I thought "Wow, you can carry beverages and food while playing". I think I've come along way since then.

Heh. Calvert Road (3.14 on DGCR) was my first disc golf course, played with Wham-O Frisbees in the early 1980s. Fun little course.

But, um, not in my top 5. :rolleyes:

In contrast, Seneca Creek (4.26 on DGCR) dates to 1990 and is permanently in my top 5. I have probably played Seneca Creek as often as all other courses combined, and it never gets old (YMMV).

Awesome...we had 133g wham-o's too, til Craig saw us and took pity on us and explained about golf discs. So my first 'real' disc, was a pink 148g very flexible Aviar, purchased in 1988. We stopped by there in 2019 and I played the first 3 holes with that disc for old time's sake. Had to finish up with my current stuff--that Aviar was VERY flippy after 30 years...

Played in the first tourney at Seneca, wow, what a difference from Calvert Rd. Lost my first disc there on a roller.

<exiting memory lane now>

1. Nevin Park
2. Idlewild
3. Osage Grove
4. Torma Town
5. Johnson Hills

Haven't done a ton of courses, but we took a trip to Charlotte recently. Loved Nevin, my favorite course I've ever played. I love technical wooded golf and I think we only were touched by direct sunlight a couple times. lol

Idlewild, local to me and awesome.

Osage, my home course and quite good with a lot of different layouts.

Torma Town, not saying it was better than Hornets Nest (might be #6 on this list?), but I just felt at home at Torma Town so it got the nod.

Johnson Hills -- closest I can pretend to being in Charlotte while at home. Back 9 really is Bradford/Nevin-esque.

Like others have said, these are a list of favorites, I'm sure some others I've played are technically a little better (i.e. Echo Valley) but these were/are my favorites to visit and play.

Good question

Lets see, this is my top favorite courses in no particular order

Idlewild - Burlington KY
The Canyons - Lockport IL
Circle C - Austin TX
Shawshank - Huntsville TX
Poli Poli - Maui HI

man, that was hard to only list 5. Actually, the top 3 are easy, Idlewild, The Canyons and Poli Poli are my 3 favorite courses I have ever played and would jump at a chance to play any of them again. (specially Hawaii, they currently call it "Upcountry" and it is still there, the rumors of it not are not true. It's probably a "Bandit" course like you sometimes see in Houston.)

I haven't ventured out of the Pacific Northwest so my list is somewhat limited

Pier Park - Portland, OR
Bud Pell - Bremerton, WA
Milo McIver - Estacada, OR
Shelton Springs - Shelton, WA
Howling Coyote - Bothell, WA

1. Milligan Park - Crawfordsville
2. Hazel Landing - Carmel
3. Gibbs Memorial - Avon
4. Murdock Park - Lafayette
5. Big Walnut - Greencastle

I've yet to venture outside West Central Indiana but there's a surprising amount of decent courses within 90 minute drive.

I'm hoping to some day to take some trips to Idlewild, Lemon Lake, the Canyons, Harmony Bend, Northwood Park as their all 3-5 hour drives. Maybe Toboggan also

I haven't played SOOOO many courses that I want to... but as of right now:

1/19/2013
1. Idlewild - KY
2. Rolling Ridge - WI
3. West Lake Park - IA
4. Hidden Lake - MN
5. Ozark Mountain - MO

8 years later...

1. Idlewild - KY
2. Rolling Ridge - WI
3. Maple Hill - MA
4. West Lake Park - IA
5. Ozark Mountain (RIP) - MO

8 years later...

1. Idlewild - KY
2. Rolling Ridge - WI
3. Maple Hill - MA
4. West Lake Park - IA
5. Ozark Mountain (RIP) - MO

hidden lake changed quite a bit in the past few years

biggest improvement is concrete pads that were installed this year

however "they" gutted out 18 and its a terrible finishing hole (filler status hole too)

hole 4 and 6 (parallel fairways) have a huge chunk of trees missing

and hole 7 now has a big ass shed were the basket used to be so the whole hole shifted backwards (pad and basket)

11 is noticeably missing several trees

i love the course and i defend it but its definitely decreased in quality over the years even with the concrete addition

hidden lake changed quite a bit in the past few years

biggest improvement is concrete pads that were installed this year

however "they" gutted out 18 and its a terrible finishing hole (filler status hole too)

hole 4 and 6 (parallel fairways) have a huge chunk of trees missing

and hole 7 now has a big ass shed were the basket used to be so the whole hole shifted backwards (pad and basket)

11 is noticeably missing several trees

i love the course and i defend it but its definitely decreased in quality over the years even with the concrete addition

That's a shame... I haven't played it in nine years so it kinda just dropped out due to the ravages of memory. I always thought the front few holes could use some beating in/clearing out to make them a little fairer, but not TOO much.

Latest posts