• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Little River disc golf course, Moore Oklahoma

The Moore city infrastructure is wiped out financially. When the Little River dg community is ready to rebuild, if 630 of us on dgcr will each give $10 eighteen new baskets can be provided to the golfers. That's way down the list of priorities right now, and our support of Moore is needed in many ways, but still its a thought. I'm in. Bet Innova, Discraft, DGA and Gateway might help as well.

Thanks for your thoughts and support guys.

bayouace, good thoughts here. The biggest problem for the course is that the majority of the holes were in pretty dense trees. Most holes were short but you had to hit tight lines. I haven't seen the course yet but judging by aerials, the trees might be too damaged to re-open the course. (This is all speculation on my part.)

We'll get the city of Moore back on its' feet first and foremost and figure out what to do with the course at the appropriate time.

Sparky is the one that has put this course together and I hope that he and his family are doing all right.

I like the idea of a contributing $10 a course but yeah, quite low on the priority list.
Will make donation to the Red Cross or something along those lines first...

Godspeed to all the Oklahomans who whose lives have been turned upside down, and have to figure how to make things work until life returns to anything that can remotely pass for normal.

This is a snapshot of the news with overlays of the hole locations for Little River DGC. I did not put 14 and 15 as it was off the screen to the north. ->
Photo is looking west-southwest. The straight streets in the upper left run east/west and the cemetery in the middle-right runs north to south.

lrdgc.jpg

Sparky is doing well and busy with helping the recovery and cleanup efforts. I visited the area to help out as well and stopped by the course today after seeing the facebook pictures with mangled baskets and all. The park is a mess, really a mess. The great thing is that there are volunteers EVERYWHERE and despite most of the neighborhoods still being a literal pile of rubble, it's already looking a lot better than it did a week ago. The park where the course is had a large boy scout troop and probably 300 Mormon volunteers out there cutting and hauling and working hard on the park. The note from the pdga is nice, but replacing the disc golf course is absolutely the thing of last importance in the area and won't be thought about for months to come. Unless Sparky has something to say about it, and I guess he might!!!

Just an FYI, they've re-opened the southern portion of the park after some cleanup in recent days. Still lots of debris on the northern half. Course is still in rough shape and will be for some time.

Any update? Will be there in two weeks...

Roc, what kind of update? The park and course are still heavily damaged. This weekend is the charity tournament for tornado relief. Two rounds held at Lions and Griffin down in Norman.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the one day tourney this weekend netted over $3,200 toward rebuilding the disc golf course @ Little River Park in Moore, Oklahoma.

Found out today that the city, in their clean-up efforts, have demo'd some undamaged pads on the course. If you are local to the area please call Moore Parks and Rec and ask what their plans are for rebuilding the park and course. Emphasize that the pads can be salvaged and reused in whatever new layout the course ends up having after rebuilding has been completed.

Last night the city debuted the rebuild concept for Little River Park. Unfortunately, it does NOT include a disc golf course. Some rather weak comments made by city officials claiming complaints seem to fly directly in the face of the comments made just days before the storm hit thanking the local club for maintaining the course. Sparky and others have donated significant time and money to building, promoting, and maintaining that course. With just under 6 months of data the city has apparently decided that disc golf has no place in Moore.

The detractors (supposedly one woman with the ear of a Parks and Rec board member) are claiming (in a public forum) that it isn't a real sport, the players tear up the park, the discs are a hazard to walkers, the players take all of the parking, the players fill the garbage cans with trash, and the course reduced the family aspect of the park.

Since that time, the city has only sidestepped the issue stating that the plans were "preliminary" and "on-going" discussions were occurring. Then they (at least privately) suggested that the Moore DGA acquire it's own land and donate it to the city for a course. That has gone over like a lead balloon.

The City Council meeting on the 16th should be fun.

https://www.change.org/petitions/mo...-rebuild-of-the-little-river-disc-golf-course
Just saw this in the newest PDGA email update. I was unaware of this beforehand. I don't really understand the mindset behind this.
I tried signing that despite my aversion about online petitions. This kind of describes how that experience went.

The detractors (supposedly one woman with the ear of a Parks and Rec board member) are claiming (in a public forum) that it isn't a real sport, the players tear up the park, the discs are a hazard to walkers, the players take all of the parking, the players fill the garbage cans with trash, and the course reduced the family aspect of the park.
In otherwords, Miss Nimby thinks its wrong for a male under 30 to have fun, at least in her park.

I tried signing that despite my aversion about online petitions. This kind of describes how that experience went.

That sums up my feelings about online petitions. I hesistate to sign petitions for causes I agree with just because half the time you end up getting roped into some weird extremist position on the matter.

MikeTheGoalie said:

What a strange bunch of arguments. Who cares of all of the parking is taken? I live near a highschool and a park, and the parking occasionally overflows onto my street. I think its great when this happens, it means our public services are being used by the people.

Recently the school had to spend several hundred thousand dollars because some people were complaining about the lights from the night games, and the sound from the loudspeakers. Nevermind the fact that the highschool was literally the first thing in the area. And is right next to railroad tracks (which recently got in trouble for blowing their horn too often). I'll never understand some people.

And judging by most public parks, I'd say its a good thing if they are filling up the trash cans.

I signed it. I've played a lot of disc golf in Oklahoma. Never played this course but I spent hours and hours at Arcadia, Dolese, etc. Some really good folks out there, though they're definitely outnumbered (in Oklahoma) by the Miss Nimbys of the world. Best of luck to you guys...