• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Little River disc golf course, Moore Oklahoma

Am I nuts for thinking that there is more than enough space in Oklahoma for this? I remember driving through OKC and thinking it was a city in a barren wasteland. Not that Chicago is much better, we just are all crammed up against the lake.

Am I nuts for thinking that there is more than enough space in Oklahoma for this?
In Oklahoma yes. In this particular OKC suburb, which has had God awful luck with tornadoes over the last twenty years, perhaps not so much.

Then they (at least privately) suggested that the Moore DGA acquire it's own land and donate it to the city for a course.
I was going to make a rant suggesting you guys ask the city if anyone had ever done such with regards to a ball golf course, baseball or soccer complex in the past, but it appears the city of Moore doesn't have any of those in their parks system either. Little River was in fact the second largest park in town.

What I would suggest you guys do again is see if you can get some segment of your local media to do a piece like this.

I'd also suggest that every time you go to OKC or Edmond or Norman, stop by a local business and buy gas or hit the convenience store and get a receipt. Then circle the sales tax on that receipt and send it to the city alongside a note saying THIS COULD BE SPENT IN TOWN ONCE AGAIN!

Last edited:
Don,

It isn't a space issue, as the new park plans have ample space. In fact, the new park plans indicate the utilization of eminent domain to claim adjacent housing lots in an effort to INCREASE the size of the park. In addition, disc golf was part of the city plan that was approved by a bond issue. We just want the city to keep their word.

Scarp,

Buck Thomas has a large baseball/softball complex as well as 5 youth football field as well as an all-purpose field that's often utilized for soccer. The city may not maintain them as much as the youth sports associations though. All local ball golf courses are private to my knowledge. The private soccer association on the west side of the city has a huge soccer complex that is the mecca for that in the city. I like the receipt idea though.

Just saw this in the Moore American....

http://mooreamerican.com/local/x1612844669/Surplus-covered-bridge-sale-will-gain-5-grand-for-Moore

In contrast to traditional golf, disc golf representatives spoke at length during the public comments section of the city council meeting. Plans for the renovation of storm damaged Little River Park do not include the disc golf course. The course had been troublesome for some walkers in the park who, not realizing there was a disc golf course there, would wonder into the green and get hit by a disc.

That problem had been solved, said disc gold advocates who spoke Monday night.

James Geurin, MD, a retired physician from Tulsa and the president of the Oklahoma Disc Golf Foundation spoke in favor of the disc golf community which has raised an excess of funds for the restoration of the course at Little River Park and donated much of that excess to the Moore Public Schools. Disc golfers are all ages and walks of life, he said.

Sooner Disc Golf representative Kate Schwartz said the economic impact of disc golf tournaments is big and Moore can be the beneficiary of disc golf tournaments.

"There are so many disc golfers in Moore and they are in the recovery process, too," Schwartz said. "All we're asking is for the ability to put it back in."

Mayor Glenn Lewis said the park needs vacant land to be kept as gray fox territory because it is an endangered species. Lewis said he has a letter from a judge with an injunction from about 1999, and the city is trying to find out if the gray fox is still in danger.

Preliminary research by The Transcript revealed no listing of the gray fox as endangered in Oklahoma.

Then earlier in the same article....

Moore is also looking into the possibility of buying Broadmore Golf Course, a privately owned, public golf course. The city council approved $20,000 for Billy Casper Golf, LLC to make a formal evaluation on whether the city should buy the course.

City Manager Stephen Eddy said this consultant recommended against Midwest City acquiring a golf course two years ago. The group looks at availability, rates, the market, investment needed for improvements and more.

$20K to do an evaluation just to see if a city should buy a golf course? You could put in a super deluxe 18+ hole DG course for that kind of cash, and have enough left over afterwards for a community barbeque.

That just kind of shows where disc golf is as far as economics goes. Our venues may be cheap to install, but for the same reason they're also cheap to uninstall.

Anyways, I'm glad you guys had a nice contingent to speak up at the meeting and present your case. Hopefully, they'll see the bigger picture now.

Last edited:
Just as an update, the city has apparently approved plans to go forward with the park's reconstruction WITHOUT rebuilding the disc golf course.

Latest posts