• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live feed for USDGC

I would tune in just to see if I could catch a glimpse of a few buddies down there...once I caught the glimpse, I would probably stop watching.

I probably wouldn't even do this.
I see enough bad Disc Golf at my home course...;)

Our own EdwardFelco.......Ben.... is sitting in 11th right now wtih a +1....Think I am going to leave that link up and see how he does!

Something more complex at work, though, because "Mike Hamuka" has a Personal Par of 4 on #1 (which is a par 3), and Personal Par of 8 on #13 (which is a par 5).

Yeah, musta used historical scoring averages or something. Feldberg has a few personal par 2's, but #13 is a par 6 for him.

Hey Rodney - not sure if you noticed this, but if you click on the little i with a circle around it on the upper left of the scoring page, a page with explanations pops up. I have not read it through yet, but maybe it addresses your questions/confusion.

Here is a link to that info page:
http://www.usdgc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Performance-Scoring-FAQ.pdf

It doesn't actually say how projected score for each individual hole gets assigned. This also interests me as I am a numbers geek. Did they rank the holes in difficulty using past scoring average? Must have.

hmmm, Feldburg's (1040) projected score is a 62, and at the 2010 USDGC a 1040 rated round was anywhere from 63-65. Maybe the overall is based on SSA while the hole-by-hole is based on past scoring average? Just guessing.

Wiggins Jr. (1016) projected score is 67 and a 1016 rated round last year was 68-70.

Just seems about 1-2 strokes too high based on last years scores.

also, surprised to see those two guys in the "lead" right now.

Those are the sorts of things that always drove me nuts in trying to figure out how to properly run a handicap league. It always seemed to me that with me as the administrator and formula guy for the league, I had the power to set things up in a way that favored one person over another. No matter what I tinkered with I could never get something that seemed as fair and equitable as simply the score someone shoots when playing stroke play.

For low-stakes league play people never whined about being off by a few bucks for this sort of thing, but when it is the USDGC it seems like formulas could well trump actual performance.....but I guess who will know since I doubt the formulas will ever be made public.

Something more complex at work, though, because "Mike Hamuka" has a Personal Par of 4 on #1 (which is a par 3), and Personal Par of 8 on #13 (which is a par 5).

Yeah, musta used historical scoring averages or something. Feldberg has a few personal par 2's, but #13 is a par 6 for him.

I've played with Mike :D. Very fun guy to play with :hfive:.

I'm heading there Friday morning and looking forward to watching Friday and Saturday. This will be my first time not volunteering. Should be fun.

Our own EdwardFelco.......Ben.... is sitting in 11th right now wtih a +1....Think I am going to leave that link up and see how he does!

eeesh, had a little breakdown on hole 17 there, those damn haybales really got me.

as far as the score updating, they had people out there on hole 7 and 13 scanning cards for the instant updating.

Par for the course was raised to 70 this year with 11 as par 5 and 13 as par 6. A 1000 rated player gets a projected score of 70. A player's projected score is pretty close to 70 + [(1000-rating) x 90% / 6] where the rating is the highest rating a player had since last December to prevent players who qualified early from bagging their rating during 2011. The hole difficulty ranking that determines which holes get one added or subtracted to establish a player's personal par (depending on the number of shots a player's projected score is over or under par) was based on average hole scoring averages from 2010.

Last edited:
A friend of mine who is rated around a 950 give or take shot even and will be playing tomorrow with Climo. Now that's pretty cool. Going toe to toe with the champ on one of the most challenging courses in the world. Awesome.

I attempted to qfy for USDGC on Monday Qfy Day and the first round was 91 which is +8 based on my projected score of 83, so I go for 2nd round and improved my score down to 84 which is +1 but no cigar as there are only 5 spots available and the 5th place finishers had -6. I got 14th place out of 40 or so qualifiers. I had two OBs at #13 (The "888") and missed couple of really makeable putts and those were the key differences. In first round, I had like 6 or so OBs, but only 2 OBs in 2nd round.

So I am caddying for Tony Pert and he has projected score of 80 and he had tough first round of 95 with 11 OBs for +15 today. There was a guy named Mark in Tony's group (10:32am tee time Wed) and man he can throw very far but wild and unpredictable sometimes and I think he had like over 20 OBs or so and he got 18 on #17 (the hardest hole in this course in my opinion) with 7 straight OBs before he finally got his disc on the island green. He ended his day with 116 (his projected score is 78).

It is like almost everyone got bitten by OBs. You can feel pressure on every hole. Not for faint of heart! This course really test your mental game big time!

Impressed with Dave Feldberg shooting 56 to get -6 as his projected scores is 62.

Looking forward for new day tomorrow and it ain't over till it's over.

For low-stakes league play people never whined about being off by a few bucks for this sort of thing, but when it is the USDGC it seems like formulas could well trump actual performance.....but I guess who will know since I doubt the formulas will ever be made public.

Well, while it is the USDGC(*PE2011), they are playing for nothing more than bragging rights.

I say lets give it up for 817 rated Kyle from Kentucky, get out there and beat Feldburg!

Bragging rights or not...beating the worlds best players on one of the most difficult courses in a format that is more about besting your self in four consecutive days would be awesome. I think this format will grow to be as exciting and fun to watch as the regular USDGC is to watch.

Par for the course was raised to 70 this year with 11 as par 5 and 13 as par 6. A 1000 rated player gets a projected score of 70. A player's projected score is pretty close to 70 + [(1000-rating) x 90% / 6] where the rating is the highest rating a player had since last December to prevent players who qualified early from bagging their rating during 2011. The hole difficulty ranking that determines which holes get one added or subtracted to establish a player's personal par (depending on the number of shots a player's projected score is over or under par) was based on average hole scoring averages from 2010.

:thmbup: thanks for sharing this! :thmbup:

At the 2010 USDGC, a 70 carried the ratings of 1013, 1013 and 1004 respectively.. So why did you settle on the 70=1000? Is the course playing 1-2 strokes easier this year? Or is it just a nice even number? Or maybe you wanted to give more of a handicap to the 1000+ rated guys?

I like the bit about taking the highest rating over a year period, although I don't think you have to worry about people bagging their rating (yet) for this new format.

A friend of mine who is rated around a 950 give or take shot even and will be playing tomorrow with Climo. Now that's pretty cool. Going toe to toe with the champ on one of the most challenging courses in the world. Awesome.

Sweet, I my dream card would be to get Climo, Dunipace, and some other random am so I wouldnt look so bad.