• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 Texas States presented by Lone Star Discs

The rule about multiple penalties says: "A throw or an action that is subject to penalty under more than one rule..."

One action (like oversleeping) could trigger both the 5 minute and absent rules. I would find it hard to justify giving both penalties in that case.

If the player checked in late, and then disappeared, I would call that two different actions and add the two penalty throws on top of the par plus 4.

As for whether it should be DQ to miss a hole, that is the most logically consistent way to handle it. Being nice and letting players play on with a par+4 would be logically consistent if par+4 were the scoring cap for ALL holes.
If there were a cap of par+4 then I would say par +5 should be the minimum for not playing a hole at all. (Since we don't cap scores I still believe DQ is the appropriate penalty.) There should never be a circumstance where not playing is preferable to playing.

IMO the "action" is not the same either way. "Action 1" is being somewhere other than the appropriate place during check in which is prior to the beginning of play. "Action 2" is being somewhere other than the appropriate place when it is 30 seconds past your turn to tee.

I don't see the logic behind a larger penalty for late check in and then missing a hole vs no check in at all and missing a hole. The more egregious of the 2 (imo) gets a lesser penalty?

I am not totally schooled on his current bag, but maybe it was a KC Pro Aviar - also a 2-speed. I find it hard to believe he is suddenly allowed to expand to Lone Star Discs let alone a Bluebonnet putter. But, who knows?
The likelihood Innova lets their top player use a competitor's disc is very very very very very slim.

If there were a cap of par+4 then I would say par +5 should be the minimum for not playing a hole at all. (Since we don't cap scores I still believe DQ is the appropriate penalty.) There should never be a circumstance where not playing is preferable to playing.
There are many ways to not play a hole correctly. Not showing up is just one of them. Any time a player does not use the score they got from playing a hole correctly, a DQ is the most logical result.

But,

If we were allow players to substitute a high score when they don't use the score they got from playing the hole correctly, I see no reason for a difference in penalty between not showing up vs. any other reason.

Strange that 2y in a row a player that have not really been close to a big win in FPO winns this tournament.
A "everyone have a chance" type of course?

So is it safe to say Buhr and AB have replaced Paul and Ricky as the top dogs? Or do we have to wait for the first major? Or maybe once Calvin can throw forehands again he should be included in the weekly favorites.

So is it safe to say Buhr and AB have replaced Paul and Ricky as the top dogs? Or do we have to wait for the first major? Or maybe once Calvin can throw forehands again he should be included in the weekly favorites.
There has definitely been a changing of the guard in both MPO and FPO.
Younger players like Buhr, Barela, Antilla, Klein are in the hunt every week. Some of the top players from 2-3 years ago (McBeth, Dickerson, Conrad, Jones, Lizotte, Gibson) haven't done much recently. I think Ricky and Heimburg will win many more tournaments going forward.[/COLOR]

In FPO, Paige Pierce, Catrina Allen and Sarah Hokum were fixtures on the podium 2 or 3 years ago. Hokum did finish tied for 6th last week, but prior to that none have them have finished on the podium in ages.

When compared to standardized par, Anthony Barela's 16 under was equivalent to Paul McBeth's 18 under at Toboggan. Both would have been 15 under with standardized par.

It should be interesting to see how Eagle fits into the picture when he is back and healthy.
I believe Eagle will win many more tournaments in the future. I wouldn't put him in the "young guns" group anymore, but he's only 26 so he's not in the "old guns" category either. (he's younger than Heimburg)

Strange that 2y in a row a player that have not really been close to a big win in FPO winns this tournament.
A "everyone have a chance" type of course?
Organizers are starting to get the message that courses need to be shorter for FPO to get better scoring and closer scoring among competitors to match the scoring and competitiveness in MPO. Texas States is a good example of this direction.

Klein, Heimburg, McMahon, I. Robinson all in their early to mid 20s at this point which seems to be prime athletic ability. Lizotte & McBeth are maturing a bit becoming fathers with different life priorities but I think they still will compete for big events in the mid season as they round into form
There has definitely been a changing of the guard in both MPO and FPO.
Younger players like Buhr, Barela, Antilla, Klein are in the hunt every week. Some of the top players from 2-3 years ago (McBeth, Dickerson, Conrad, Jones, Lizotte, Gibson) haven't done much recently. I think Ricky and Heimburg will win many more tournaments going forward.[/COLOR]

In FPO, Paige Pierce, Catrina Allen and Sarah Hokum were fixtures on the podium 2 or 3 years ago. Hokum did finish tied for 6th last week, but prior to that none have them have finished on the podium in ages.
Pierce and C. Allen both won last year but both fell off the pace/got injured before the really strenuous stretch at the end of the year (DGPT playoffs/USWDGC/Throw Pink/DGPT Championships). I think Missy Gannon falls somewhere between their ages yet she is able to still compete for podiums all over the tour. IDK if Pierce will rebound from injury or C. Allen pregnancy coming later in the season if she'll execute well enough to get a podium before leaving the tour. Hokum hasn't been a regular fixture on lead cards in years due to lack of distance/backhand - probably since Salonen/Blomroos first toured in the US ~2019 and courses started being refined/setup for FPO separately.

Definitely more competitive & younger fields coming out every tour ES/M event so it becomes harder for the known names to keep in the mix. Parity has been ingrained into the course designs and the opportunity for new/fresh winners is really these 3 round events at newer course layouts. Longer term courses on tour probably see better performances by those that have played in prior years so places like Jonesboro or DDO/Ledgestone coming up will see some of those veterans in the mix

Latest posts