• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live Off-Site Commentary Debuts @ Jonesboro

Commentary flowed a little better today, they still need to make sure to not talk during most of the shots. But overall, definitely enjoying the broadcast. Nice work all around. But seriously...even generic 2d hole sign graphics shown before the 1st player drives on the next hole would be a welcome addition. (See attached image for generic example.)

Attachments

• holepreview.jpg
    holepreview.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 58
For one, the natural sounds of the course seemed muted (not silent but very suppressed) in favor of the studio. I've noticed this is the same thing that seems to happen with the post-produced commentary, and it just emphasizes the disconnect between the action on the screen and the voices talking over it.

I agree with this. JV, can you crank up the volume of the on-course mic for the final round?

I don't watch a whole lot of coverage either live or not but it seemed like you had a more or less worst case scenario for off site commentary when the players all wound up in the woods on one hole late in the round and the commentators couldn't really tell who was who and who had or had not thrown. Perhaps a bit less commentary was actually needed at that point. Other than that I thought it went very well and was an improvement over previous live coverage I have watched. I do agree with those who would like to see an indication of where the players are actually trying to throw when they are on the tee- at points during the first round I was a bit clueless in that regard. Thanks for your hard work.

I thought it was pretty good. Corey does a good job of filling dead air without speaking gibberish and that's a talent. The other guy, Sean, did well too but he could sound like he wants to be there a little more, lol. Maybe a little less talking about belts. :|

The not knowing where the hole goes thing is something that can definitely be improved. Is there any telestrator technology where a guy in the booth can circle where a blind basket is or certain trees to avoid they're talking about?

I thought it was pretty good. Corey does a good job of filling dead air without speaking gibberish and that's a talent. The other guy, Sean, did well too but he could sound like he wants to be there a little more, lol. Maybe a little less talking about belts. :|

The not knowing where the hole goes thing is something that can definitely be improved. Is there any telestrator technology where a guy in the booth can circle where a blind basket is or certain trees to avoid they're talking about?

What, the turquoise vs white belt conversation left you cold?

As a point, for some of us, that would be me, speaking gibberish is considered an art form, the only real skill we have.

Here's a 1st world problem:

I was streaming the video on my TV and watching Udisc on my computer so I could follow Montgomery, Oakley & Feldberg. I had to look away from the computer screen when the lead card was putting, because Udisc showed whether the putt was made or missed before the video.

BTW, FPO is complete. A 10 throw win for Pierce. Ho-hum.

Yes, we need to work on our timing with UDisc and the Delay. Sometimes they are a bit quicker than the 20 second delay we have setup on the scores.

Thank you for the live coverage and the booth commentary. I think it's obvious this is the way to go from now on. Other than some excessive banter I thought the R3 commentary was ok. I think Udisc overlays from their live score page would be better than all the verbal data mining. But this is a work in progress, and I think it was an obvious success. Thanks again to everyone involved. Still hoping Terry drops the camera and picks up a mic for future tournaments. ;)

Just wanted to chime in and say you all do a great job and I enjoy watching.

I do miss the out of breath commentary from walking up and down the hills with the players like it used to be haha

The end of the mouth breathing era!

I liked the booth a lot. Obviously if someone onsite like Terry or another individual had the ability to communicate with the booth in real time on details that are happening that are not available simply by looking at camera angles that would be great.

As a first attempt, you guys should be very pleased with how it went off. We are lucky to have the opportunity to watch live coverage. Thank you for all your hard work.
-I think every one has their own favorite commentators. I would prefer Ian (natural talent) and Nate Sexton (knowledge of the game/play) to just about any other pair. Others have other equally talented duos they would like. Cory wasn't awful, but as a commentator, Sean was better, IMO. Every second of the broadcast need not be filled with voice-over. No doubt they can and will improve and expand their vocabulary.
-More natural noise would be a huge bonus, and help with the above issue.
-Drone footage previews might help both the viewers and the remote commentators, as there were times when it was difficult to discern where on the hole we were looking.
-The ability for a live check in with a camera person would be really cool, if done at important times, like when a shot was close to landing OB.
Again, well done, and many thanks for this viewer.

I liked the booth a lot. Obviously if someone onsite like Terry or another individual had the ability to communicate with the booth in real time on details that are happening that are not available simply by looking at camera angles that would be great.

"Now let's go to Michele Tafoya for the injury report."

I've always enjoyed watching live coverage. I thought today's broadcast was great! The timing and content of their comments seemed to match up better with what I was watching. It's got to be tough for Terry to "fly blind" in that respect. Look forward to more! And Ian better have a back-up plan. ; )

My backup plan is that I pay Cory pretty well, and he doesn't have a real job anymore lol.

I will make sure to pass on to Cory & Sean how much everyone hated it. ;) In all seriousness, thanks for the feedback, and I will pass it on to them. We know there are some things we can still clean up. And I would LOVE more graphics. But to be totally honest, it is hard to find a place for hole previews now. We have 1 minute of ads between each hole. And during walks we have FPO coverage.

I have had a few thoughts:
1. Do a 70/30 split of commercials and drone shot between holes. But then you are devaluing the advertisers. And we don't always have drone previews. It would require us to get out an additional day early for every broadcast. $$$ I am hoping that is something that Dodge can invest in the future.
2. Eliminate some of the player name lower thirds early in each hole for a hole graphic if possible. I mean come on, we all know who these players are mostly.
3. Do a 70/30 split of the first & second player teeing with a hole graphic. Kinda like I did for Ledgestone 2 years ago... if anyone remembers.

Until we can pay another person to sit and help with shot delays like they do at the PGA, we are flying a little by the seat of our pants on every event.

JVD we're gonna be at the rest of the DGPT tour events (GBO too), we shoot drone footage every time. We could provide those for live and Terry's FPO coverage. Let's figure out an arrangement. They're such a great add to the production, and viewer experience.