• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

If each manufacturer will pay me 10K, I will make sure that all their players get registered into all the largest events. I can be their personal assistants.

I will do it for 5 and throw in any random A-tiers they want along the way. :)

I'll do it for 2K/year, paid entry into any 3 tournaments of my choice, and 10 sampler packs from New Glarus

Disagree. If they didn't care, there wouldn't be any Am Majors. Or they'd restrict lower level players from playing in MPO at all levels.

Just think of it like you have to qualify for these events now. Do you think the PGA US Open just lets anyone play? Nope, gotta qualify.

Highest finishing sub-900 rated player was 178th in advanced division, so I'm not sure that is a great example. Again, we are talking about someone playing versus having unfilled spots.

Highest finishing sub-900 rated player was 178th in advanced division, so I'm not sure that is a great example. Again, we are talking about someone playing versus having unfilled spots.

No one cares if there are a few unfilled spots. I doubt that will happen anyway, but even if it did... the players don't run the risk of playing with sub-900 players. The course has less players on it & causing potentially less backups.

I bet almost all the top players would take those concessions.

How does this rule apply to past usdgc champions who may be a bit older and possibly sub 900?

Disagree. If they didn't care, there wouldn't be any Am Majors. Or they'd restrict lower level players from playing in MPO at all levels.

Just think of it like you have to qualify for these events now. Do you think the PGA US Open just lets anyone play? Nope, gotta qualify.

PGA has qualifying standards because they have more players who could potentially meet the qualifying standards than they do places in the tournaments.

If we're going to emulate the PGA, we'd have to set the bar a lot higher than 900 rated to ensure that the elite events are only played by elite players. Minimum qualifying standards for US Open or competing for a PGA Tour card is roughly equivalent to having a 1000 rating. There aren't enough 1000+ rated players in the world to fill a series of tour events consistently. And even if they did, there's not enough money to sustain them all on tour as half of them would be winning nothing at each event. As it is now, with a percentage of the field filled by sub-1000 (heck sub-950) players, they're sucking up most of the non-cashing spots and ensuring that more touring players are earning something.

There's an oddity in the way payouts are calculated to where the sum of payouts to the top 12 places (field of 30 paying 40% potentially with 3 cards on video) progressively decreases from 30 to bottom out at a field size of 68. Then as more players are added, the sum of top 12 payouts increases but doesn't match the top 12 in a 30-person field until over 150 players are entered.

You can check for yourself using the PDGA payout calculator. Enter $150 for the entry fee and $10,000 added and run field sizes ranging from 30 to 148 or more with 40% paid. Then, simply add the top 12 proposed payouts for each field size and compare.

How does this rule apply to past usdgc champions who may be a bit older and possibly sub 900?

USDGC is slightly different in that they are a strictly invitation-only tournament as opposed to the semi-open registration for NT/PTs and other majors. Not sure of the answer, though.

USDGC is slightly different in that they are a strictly invitation-only tournament as opposed to the semi-open registration for NT/PTs and other majors. Not sure of the answer, though.

I know that. I was under the impression that all past champions have an automatic invite

PGA has qualifying standards because they have more players who could potentially meet the qualifying standards than they do places in the tournaments.

If we're going to emulate the PGA, we'd have to set the bar a lot higher than 900 rated to ensure that the elite events are only played by elite players. Minimum qualifying standards for US Open or competing for a PGA Tour card is roughly equivalent to having a 1000 rating. There aren't enough 1000+ rated players in the world to fill a series of tour events consistently. And even if they did, there's not enough money to sustain them all on tour as half of them would be winning nothing at each event. As it is now, with a percentage of the field filled by sub-1000 (heck sub-950) players, they're sucking up most of the non-cashing spots and ensuring that more touring players are earning something.

You are incorrect on why the USGA and PGA have qualifying standards. It has nothing to do with money/field size and everything to do with protecting the players. here's a good piece on US Open qualifying bans. https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/page/USOpen-Reilly/bad-lies-us-open-qualifying

This would only apply to probably 5-10yrs down the road. As far as I can tell, the only past champ below 1k is Shusterick and he's just barely under. The rest are at least 1015+

This would only apply to probably 5-10yrs down the road. As far as I can tell, the only past champ below 1k is Shusterick and he's just barely under. The rest are at least 1015+

Man I was watching some old school Non Stop Disc Golf vids and the old Jomez 2012 Worlds Final 9 vid and was just amazed and thought...damn what happened to this kid?

In my time of running events I have come to realize that taking more shots is not usually what defines a group as slow. I would almost guarantee you that Nikko is slower than Lloyd...

Nah the amount of shots that Lloyd dose before the 900 rated player gets on the second shot is what might make the others not that happy but just not show it for respect of the card.

Unless other players were being turned away due to these players registering i do not see the point at all.

Maybe the thing is more 900 rated players would have been playing in these events. Also heard in the commentating on the events that some top level pro players were not able to get into some events being they were full this year way sooner then they had been in past 2018 year.