• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

why stop at 900 then?

imo everyone playing in the things should have to hold a Tour Card (won't happen- need the added cash) OR all players should be able to compete in what is by name an OPEN division.

I agree to a point. And like I said, if someone who is 950 cashed last year is that now our low limit? The floor has to be somewhere. And for now 900 is a good start. I think that something like this can be addressed every 5 years to see where we are at. Maybe in a few years we bump it up to 930 or 950? I don't mind this as a starting point.

I agree to a point. And like I said, if someone who is 950 cashed last year is that now our low limit? The floor has to be somewhere. And for now 900 is a good start. I think that something like this can be addressed every 5 years to see where we are at. Maybe in a few years we bump it up to 930 or 950? I don't mind this as a starting point.

Unless other players were being turned away due to these players registering i do not see the point at all.

Can't call it the Open division anymore.

You can still call it Open. It is just Open with Restrictions. It is still OPEN to all sexes. Don't get hung up on the semantics.

No, these people were not taking spots from more qualified players right now. But they have the potential to drag down the speed of play. If we had multiple courses for all these events where we could split pools, I would be more apt to argue this rule. But many events have 1 course and the courses we play are getting more difficult to accommodate the increasing skill level of our top players. If we continue to allow players of lower skill levels, it will only hurt the rest of the field.

You now have to officially qualify to play in these events. And the first qualifier is your rating.

he's not that bad at all. he doesn't say "like" or "um" all the time and he communicates pretty clearly. there are some strange pauses but the slight awkward and unsure vibe seems more of his personality than his speech.

I counted 12 "Uhs" in the first 60 seconds. Sorry. :D

Uh... sorry. I missed that this had been discussed when I posted right after watching 60 seconds of video.

Last edited:
It can make us look more professional to put a ratings floor in our top events. It is step 1 to a qualifying system in the far off future. And it can help out pace of play. This way we won't have many complaints about a 1020 rated player shooting 30 strokes better than someone on their card and slowing down the entire group (or event).

Honestly, this affects about 5 people. I don't see an issue with it. The lowest person to cash at an NT last year was 950 or so at Vegas.

no ones watching lololol

no ones watching lololol

There are a lot of niche sports that no one watches. But they probably still have some sort of qualifying process to get into many of their top events.

How different would this be than if they said, "You need to have finished top 50% at a B-tier or above in the past 2 years." Would that make people feel better?

Unless other players were being turned away due to these players registering i do not see the point at all.

Bingo.

Many of the "elite" events have fields padded out by locals of varying skill who pony up just to play on the same course with the top players and maybe get lucky enough to be carded with one of them. Start restricting the fields and those players stop showing up and it will only raise the cash line to a higher average rating. Fewer players cash which means fewer touring players make money and it gets harder to stay on the road.

Frankly I find the pace of play argument a pretty weak one. Not just because more throws doesn't necessarily equate to slower play. If there are so few players affected by this that it's not a big deal, how much impact on pace of play is really going to be made? Cutting one player per tournament out of the field (based on a random sampling of 2019 DGPTs) isn't going to change the timing of the rounds at all.

Cart before the horse.

There are a lot of niche sports that no one watches. But they probably still have some sort of qualifying process to get into many of their top events.

How different would this be than if they said, "You need to have finished top 50% at a B-tier or above in the past 2 years." Would that make people feel better?

so is this growing the hobby or inhibiting the hobby

cuz its really starting to feel like the latter

so is this growing the hobby or inhibiting the hobby

cuz its really starting to feel like the latter

The bottom of our field isn't growing or inhibiting the sport in any way. No one is being turned off from the sport because they can't play in our largest events.