• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Locating discs in grass w/ no trees

When the disc lands, I look beyond the disc to a feature behind it, preferably far away on the horizon. Then without even blinking, I walk in a zombie-like shuffle straight to that point on the horizon, using my peripheral vision to notice the disc as it comes into view near my feet.

I FOUND MY DISC just now. This ^ will be what I do from now on. I had eyes on the spot, and the spot tree in the distance. I looked away and grabbed my bag. Then, re-located the distance tree and started walking. Disc was hyzering out hard in the headwind, so I looked from short to long from far left to slightly right (since it was fading hard). Turns out I walked toward the wrong tree about 15 degrees left of the actual tree. I do know about how far I throw and this was at least 75' past my normal long.

Anyway, I learned something. I was not on my home course, and was excited to throw a completely wide-open hole:

attachment.php

Attachments

• CCCD50D2-2C36-42F3-9617-B327A4826ECC.jpg
    CCCD50D2-2C36-42F3-9617-B327A4826ECC.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 119
Something I learned from trying to find arrows in the grass of an archery range that can also help:
When you are close and scanning the ground, scan from right to left instead of left to right. Something to do with reading left to right. It's a stupid thing that really works.

Something I learned from trying to find arrows in the grass of an archery range that can also help:
When you are close and scanning the ground, scan from right to left instead of left to right. Something to do with reading left to right. It's a stupid thing that really works.

Applies to proofreading as well.

somebody must've invented tiny little tracking device stickers that you could attach to the bottom of the flight plate. There must be one small enough that a manufacturer could imbed in the mold. Then you just pull up an app in your phone.

Listen closely, your ears can help a lot. Bright colored discs and wear glasses if need be to get you to 20/20, even that little amount helps tremendously. I'm 20/30 naturally and go without glasses for daily life, but come disc golf time even that tiny amount of correction makes a world of a difference.

^This

Before he moved out of state, I'd regularly disc with my brother in law. He is mildly nearsighted, wears glasses for driving, but won't wear them for disc golf. Good guy, but it was frustrating as all hell searching for discs that he probably wouldn't have needed help finding if only he could have seen them land. By the same token, he wasn't much help finding discs for others (because he couldn't see them land).:doh:

Nova P's advice is also spot on. If the disc goes into the long stuff, immediately find a landmark and don't take your eyes off it for even a second while walking straight towards it.

When the disc lands, I look beyond the disc to a feature behind it, preferably far away on the horizon. Then without even blinking, I walk in a zombie-like shuffle straight to that point on the horizon, using my peripheral vision to notice the disc as it comes into view near my feet.

On open holes it probably helps to place your bag or cart near the front of the tee, too, so you can grab that with peripheral vision without having to looking back as you start the walk.

I go Right to left then back left to right, this is also a hunting technique on the open plains of the USA to double back to find the animal. For me in South Dakota It would be Peasant Chinese Ringneck or Deer as the Deer is bigger eats and Pheasant breast is really good if cooked right. I might do the same for duck but those are harder to get in South Dakota as the Mallard only goes for water areas like lakes/stock dams and rivers, so I do not hunt those.

So, you experienced players, are there any tricks I can employ besides landing in the mowed fairway? :wall:

I found a surefire way to lose discs is to throw several at one time. Hard to keep track and if it's not visible in plain sight, even hard to specifically remember the landing site.

The best way to not lose a disc in an open field is to put your bag or some other object at both ends to use as a target. The visual markers really help to give you a sense of distance/depth. It's mentally easier to say "I am 15 feet from the target" than to say "I landed somewhere in that 1,000 square foot grass landing zone".

I found a surefire way to lose discs is to throw several at one time. Hard to keep track and if it's not visible in plain sight, even hard to specifically remember the landing site.

I do all the course maintenance at my course and I often find discs in the fairway or just on the edge...no doubt in my mind that these are from a person out throwing multiple discs and don't keep track of all their throws.

Another very common way that discs get left behind is when someone uses their thrown disc as their marker, then they throw from that lie and just leave that disc behind.

A lot of good advice has been given. My favorite close by course should be a really easy one. No water and not much tall grass. I'm an older guy and my vision is still good but it amazes me how even in relative short grass a disc can just tuck down in a hole and become invisible.:mad: My main two helpful practices is to spot a landmark as a point of reference and then as soon as I walk to where I think it should be, drop my bag for a central point of searching. My biggest problem is throwing where you can't see exactly where the disc lands and it's on a slope where the disc can roll most anywhere. When playing solo I am very persistent, will look 20 minutes if I have to. Of course when playing with someone else I have to finish the round and come back to look.:)

The "walk along a line to distant object" hasn't served me as well as finding some sort of local landmark in the grass. There's almost always some sort of taller stalk or small bushy growth that can be used. That's generally where I start if it's tall enough grass that the disc may have buried itself.

If it's very short/mown grass, then I do use the walk in a line method.

The best way to not lose a disc in an open field is to put your bag or some other object at both ends to use as a target. The visual markers really help to give you a sense of distance/depth. It's mentally easier to say "I am 15 feet from the target" than to say "I landed somewhere in that 1,000 square foot grass landing zone".

Absolutely this.

Quad chairs are really handy in the trunk and I has used them many times as a target / reference point and as a bag holder. Low mass enough discs don't take damage at distance.

Latest posts